mid-year ???

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
RockandRoller70

Re: mid-year ???

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:42 am

It just leaked that Amazon is developing a cable killer box. This is SDs Hail Mary to stay relevant.

Count me among those who are irritated that SD has the bandwidth to work on a project like this, but can't deliver basic DVR features they have committed to years ago.

Par for the course with them though.

mcewinter

Postby mcewinter » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:37 am

It just leaked that Amazon is developing a cable killer box. This is SDs Hail Mary to stay relevant.

Count me among those who are irritated that SD has the bandwidth to work on a project like this, but can't deliver basic DVR features they have committed to years ago.

They also made a cell phone. It didn't do very well.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:47 am

I have to do some comparisons to see if paying an extra $50 dollars for unlimited in Comcast and taking the basic service with Internet will be cheaper than the Package I have now. Since I can go over my Data 2 months free I might test it out for a month and see how much bandwidth I use.
I saved a 60 second test clip from the SYFY demo channel and it was 15.7MB. If that is typical of the streaming channels watching or recording three hours per day would use about 85GB of your monthly data cap.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:05 am

From a multi million dollar business perspective, this is a positive move, for the company, and owners of any product they manufacture and maintain with software/firmware. Why?

Full disclosure, I know nobody at Silicon Dust, (but have worked in this field, set top box design). These are only generalities from previous employment/consultations.

This move requires a minimal layout, but will likely create a monthly income base, that will far exceed their once a year renewal fee for DVR service subscriptions. There is no investment for new manufacturing , no new hardware is needed for this product.

This generates a considerable amount of steady revenue which could be used to decrease timeline build out of other projects, like Prime 6, Apple TV App, and DRM authorization for DVR features.

Adding a secondary source of revenue has always been good business practice. Why some long standing HDHomerun supporters question this is unknown. Time will tell.

I would think it would be Dish/SlingTV, YouTube TV, DTVN, PS VUE, and others who are concerned by this move. This is obviously early days in this product, and I expect additional channels to be included, just not any that would require considerable fees, or added security measures.

This will make waves in the industry.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:53 am

Bottom line is Premium TV is a great service for those that have OTA and Cable Users where most of the channels are DRM .. I was just hoping for new UI and DRM recording … but I am sure there are many users that will use this service. Overall good job by SD. XFINITY data cap is a deal breaker in my household for these channel streaming services... Xfinity for unlimited charges $50 per calendar month on top of the internet service fee.
Yeah that sux. Comcast is expensive and, in my rather Upper Class neiborhhod in Historic Old Town Alexandria, the city has prevented any other competitor from tearing up the cobblestone streets, to lay Fibre etc. Google Fibre tried, Fios tried, and still waiting on results of Starry. They will avoid the streets and service is 200 Mbps for $50 a month with no caps. On the other side, the city contract requires No data caps, and no throttling. We pay a total of $101.90 for 120 Mbps (actual) which includes rental fee of the latest Top of line Cisco modem Router with WIFI ac, and MOCA bonded 2.5. I decided not to buy a modem as they change authorized models every year, so just lease it, and exchange when new model is approved.

bdbauer

Postby bdbauer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:53 am

Maybe I misunderstand how the new TV Service works, but it seems to me that having an additional 30 or 40 channels with their square icons in the DVR UI to scroll through for each time slot is a huge effect on the UI when there is very little functionality to manage this complexity. I understand that I can disable a channel and that works for some things like the shopping network, but most channels have something that I might watch one or two times a year and so cannot be disabled or I can't find the content.
It increases the need to have a choice of "favorites" vs all channels, and probably a grid guide as well. I end up checking TitanTV and if I see something I want, I'll go into HDHR Discover to add it.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:51 pm

So negotiations with all of these content providers were faster than changing the font and UI colors?

No one asked for this premium model. We have consistently asked for a better UI and Apple TV app. We already have the content. We want to timeshift and record it.

I renew my concerns that the software development at SD is not responding to actual customer demand.

I came to SD for OTA recording. Now I feel like the upselling is going to start in earnest, even before the core product (the DVR) is polished.
Actually yes negotiating with the two/three companies that own these channels was probably easier than writing the appleTV app will be or creating a new UI that will hopefully include the desired settings/features that people have lobbied for over the last two/three years. I have a feeling that they have probably created three versions of a new UI already and scrapped them when they hit a wall. While priorities may not be how you or I want them they have moved forward. I would not want your priorities anymore than you would want mine so I let SD and the software development team make those calls and humbly wait to see what comes.

As to them adding these items I have to say it is demanded by the market. SD might as well throw their hat in and integrate these IPTV channels that are highly desired by most cord cutters. The list covers 98% of what people I have helped install OTA want to supplement.

Nobody is twisting your arm to buy the product and no software developers were diverted to my knowledge from the DVR project to integrate this into the system. It is simply an added feature to compliment the market their tuners exist in.

Personally I think that SD will want it's "ducks in a row" before xmas so they can market heavily. They are already shifting out of beta mode in the forum. DRM record should be the end of the beta/kickstarter commitments. The new UI will probably come first. Will that be the end of development? No it will be the beginning of the appleTV app development and others for various TV's. AppleTV may be a big item on your wish list but it did not make the kickstarter list and since it is another programming OS it will require more work than calling a few companies and getting some prices on a few channels via IPTV.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:43 pm

I am fastly coming to the conclusion that Amazon's announcement of an OTA tuner TV box [ code name Frank] with recording features may be a reaction to SD's tuners being used on their fire TV system. They will now finally have to create a fire tv box that can really deliver interlaced content [maybe the cube does that].

SD's addition of these IPTV channels is in line with what cord cutters seek out after they drop cable. The addition is a low risk opportunity for SD and brings additional value to there tuners. Have no clue what bandwidth your referring too? Setting up an IPTV deal with a couple of channel owners would take some negotiation and minimal tie to the originator's feed IWT? It is not like they are streaming all the channels to everyone like a cable company. Not even sure the stream is going through SD's servers? If they do then if demand is high I would bet they will scale up the servers to meet it and the fees will off set the development needed. On the upside this may help offset the cost of software R&D and help services that the DVR system was intended to do [i.e. take the burden off of devices sales for service costs and let the designers work more on tuners not software].

jazzy112

Postby jazzy112 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:51 pm

So sad for all you capped peeps. You're either a cutter or you're not. My ISP starts at 200mbps down with no caps.

I had dtvn for a while and cancelled it because they wouldn't prioritize xbone.

I was happy as a clam when I discovered this and built into the ota I already use.

As soon as I can sign up I will.. And of course buy another tuner or two.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:42 pm

Not even sure the stream is going through SD's servers?
They appear to be going to oak-vcdn.hdhomerun.tv. in my test case (but the oak- could be the closest cluster, because there is an earlier request that went to channels.hdhomerun.tv, which may have been pointed to the oak- cluster)
If they do then if demand is high I would bet they will scale up the servers to meet it and the fees will off set the development needed.
For most cloud (and cdn) providers, auto-scaling is at worst a few clicks to enable it (if it does not come as part of the service by default) as long as the apps are appropriately designed (and streaming tends to be pretty easy to horizontally scale).

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Have no clue what bandwidth your referring too?
No clue, huh? You act as if the coding effort to implement this new TV service was minimal (it wasn't) while their DVR lacks features as fundamental as reliably freeing up tuners. This is in addition to other features nobody asked for like trailers.

I appreciate what SD has accomplished, and I am in favor of anything that can strengthen the company, but they DO have to deliver on their promises and we've been waiting for years on specific usability features that never seem to arrive, not to mention being able to record DRM content which is a HUGE missing feature and of which they will divulge absolutely no information on.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:53 pm

No clue, huh? You act as if the coding effort to implement this new TV service was minimal (it wasn't) while their DVR lacks features as fundamental as reliably freeing up tuners. This is in addition to other features nobody asked for like trailers.

I appreciate what SD has accomplished, and I am in favor of anything that can strengthen the company, but they DO have to deliver on their promises and we've been waiting for years on specific usability features that never seem to arrive, not to mention being able to record DRM content which is a HUGE missing feature and of which they will divulge absolutely no information on.
I don't know what issue you have with "freeing up tuners" but I haven't experienced anything like that.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of SD's time is sucked up waiting on other agencies/authorities to get back to them. Instead of everyone sitting around doing nothing while waiting on some certification I'd rather see them gainfully employed working on these other things.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:26 pm

I don't know what issue you have with "freeing up tuners" but I haven't experienced anything like that.
If you kill a recording early, it does not free up the tuner. Pretty commonly reported issue.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:38 pm

I'd be willing to bet a lot of SD's time is sucked up waiting on other agencies/authorities to get back to them. Instead of everyone sitting around doing nothing while waiting on some certification I'd rather see them gainfully employed working on these other things.
All of the things I'm talking about, other than the DRM, are totally within in their control and there is simply no excuse for waiting two years or more for them to be addressed. But it all makes sense, they've been stalling with this UI thing so they could have time to work on these other projects.

These are all STANDARD features of any commercial consumer DVR that they have committed to at one time or another and yet literally years have passed and none have been delivered:

- start recordings utilizing buffers
- immediate recording start from red button
- maintain buffers when entering menus
- true status bar that shows location in live tv
- show available recording usage and available space
- previous channel toggle

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. People keep cutting these guys slack for being less than forthright and not delivering on their promises.

It doesn't exactly inspire unwavering support when/if there are other options.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:31 am

If you kill a recording early, it does not free up the tuner. Pretty commonly reported issue.
I don't kill recordings in progress so that hasn't been a problem for me but I understand how that could be annoying.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”