Grid Guide

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
RockandRoller70

Re: Grid Guide

Postby RockandRoller70 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:56 am

I briefly setup an HTPC here and I found the experience less satisfying than using the app on Xbox or Android.

Maybe it was my hardware configuration, but there were just too many caveats to deal with with mouse pointers and audio that would stick when changing channels.

Lastly, all these people asking for options and a grid guide are missing the point.... it would raise the cost of the product to implement a grid guide. Ted Head explained as with the current HDHR software you can have as many clients as you want, however implementing a guide would require them to charge per client so it impacts their business model in a fundamental way.
Last edited by RockandRoller70 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

muzicman61

Postby muzicman61 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:35 am

I would love to see SD actually take a customer survey on the Grid Guide versus the Slice Guide issue and get some real numbers on what it's customers prefer/want. My vote would be Yes for a grid guide or at the very least allow customers the option to turn off the transparency on the Slice Guide to make it more readable.
Most cord cutters are switching from Comcast, Dish or DirecTV which all have grid guides. But the biggest reason for a grid guide is that it's wife friendly. My wife doesn't like change and for me to sell her on cutting the cord there can't be much of a learning curve.

wtg

Postby wtg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Lastly, all these people asking for options and a grid guide are missing the point.... it would raise the cost of the product to implement a grid guide.
Actually I think you and SD are missing the point. A grid guide is very intuitive and naturally expected by users... every cable box and TV media product I've ever seen has one. An alternative might be ok if it provided some kind of equivalent functionality, but even then it would be best to provide users a configurable option so they could choose whether to go with the familiar or the new experience. As it is now though the Slice and Discover functionality is terribly lacking and insufficient... it's no where near equivalent and the forum is full of people complaining about it.

Personally I'd be willing to pay more for a grid if that was the only option. If SD has to pass an increased cost on to me... so be it. To me - and more importantly my wife - it's unusable without it. If it wasn't for WMC my SD products would be sitting unused because I need both DRM support and a guide. Without WMC we'd be using cable boxes. I even gladly pay for higher quality guide data from Schedules Direct since WMC switched to the terrible Roxi feed, something many others do as well.

There's a reason grid guides are universal. They're intuitive and they're expected minimum functionality.

Arative

Postby Arative » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Lastly, all these people asking for options and a grid guide are missing the point.... it would raise the cost of the product to implement a grid guide.
Actually I think you and SD are missing the point. A grid guide is very intuitive and naturally expected by users... every cable box and TV media product I've ever seen has one. An alternative might be ok if it provided some kind of equivalent functionality, but even then it would be best to provide users a configurable option so they could choose whether to go with the familiar or the new experience. As it is now though the Slice and Discover functionality is terribly lacking and insufficient... it's no where near equivalent and the forum is full of people complaining about it.

Personally I'd be willing to pay more for a grid if that was the only option. If SD has to pass an increased cost on to me... so be it. To me - and more importantly my wife - it's unusable without it. If it wasn't for WMC my SD products would be sitting unused because I need both DRM support and a guide. Without WMC we'd be using cable boxes. I even gladly pay for higher quality guide data from Schedules Direct since WMC switched to the terrible Roxi feed, something many others do as well.

There's a reason grid guides are universal. They're intuitive and they're expected minimum functionality.
The discover section is very intuitive and it makes the need to a grid guide obsolete. I have found it extremely easy to record shows and I don't need to know when or where it airs. With the way shows are shuffled I don't have to change any recording rules. I don't have to scroll through 500 channels to find the right time a show airs. New shows appear in my discover section and I can choose to record it or hide it. To me, it's just much easier than a the grid guide was in wmc.

GGRussell

Postby GGRussell » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:26 pm

The discover section is very intuitive and it makes the need to a grid guide obsolete.
I can't use Discovery at all. Makes no sense to me. It's not alphabetic. It's not sorted by channel. Nor is it sorted by Time. Sure I can find something, but there is no indication if it has already started or starts later. When you click on an image, it takes you to YET ANOTHER screen. It doesn't tune that channel to start watching. I don't call that intuitive or easy. Way too many steps.

I do use Discover Search to find a program to record, but even that is very lacking. First, I have to know the CORRECT title. One misspelled word and it finds nothing. I have to use Google or TitanTV to find any NEW shows before I even launch HDHomeRun. Hiding shows in the app and Hiding channels is way beyond the average user.

With Grid Guide, new shows are very easy to find. I can quickly scan the channels of interest in the prime time slots.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Actually I think you and SD are missing the point. A grid guide is very intuitive and naturally expected by users... every cable box and TV media product I've ever seen has one.
And every cable box is more expensive.
One of the main reasons for the existence of this product is to be significantly cheaper (after upfront costs) of what the outrageously priced cable boxes (and Tivo) cost *per month*. Over the life of the product, you save A TON of money. And as stated already, according to Ted Head, their product as currently structured allows you to add as many clients as you want without incurring a price increase. You can run one client or twenty and it's going to cost you the same thing.

[removed by moderator]

I do agree that SD can do a lot to improve this product, but they can do so without implementing a grid guide.

The_Jonathan

Postby The_Jonathan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 pm

I am a new user of Hd Homerun and I do love the slice guide for channel surfing.

But i would also like a grid view when planning my evening or finding new shows to record. It could be Hybrid, it could start off with current shows only, but when you go right, you could get info for all channels for 30 minute at the time.

wtg

Postby wtg » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:53 am

[removed by moderator]
[removed by moderator]

It's great that *you* don't want or need a grid guide but the fact that so many others *do* care about it indicates it's value. If SD wants to grow, and I'm sure they do, it's not an option they can afford to be dismissive of. Even if it costs more at least give people the option.

Alternatively, I hope SD can make it possible to initiate recordings and protected playback via command line and/or API. If that can be done, there's no reason users can't use the SD hardware and get their grid and guide via Kodi, NextPVR or some other DVR solution.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 am

Typically the rate is $5/month (often per client, only recently has my provider been able to charge that per account rather than box)- Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, AT&T, Cox, Charter, etc have already been forced to pay millions but this touches on a topic that can't be discussed in this forum.

sspell

Postby sspell » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 am

[removed by moderator]

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:14 am

[removed by moderator]

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:34 am

Alternatively, I hope SD can make it possible to initiate recordings and protected playback via command line and/or API. If that can be done, there's no reason users can't use the SD hardware and get their grid and guide via Kodi, NextPVR or some other DVR solution.
The unofficial Kodi PVR Client already has a grid guide. I use it every day. It has an option to show DRM channels in the channel lineups. I don't see why you couldn't use it to schedule DRM recordings once we have that capability, even if you can't play them in Kodi.

Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65776

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 am

The unofficial Kodi PVR Client already has a grid guide. I use it every day. It has an option to show DRM channels in the channel lineups. I don't see why you couldn't use it to schedule DRM recordings once we have that capability, even if you can't play them in Kodi.

Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65776
+1

neil459

Postby neil459 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:04 pm

[removed by moderator]
[removed by moderator]

It's great that *you* don't want or need a grid guide but the fact that so many others *do* care about it indicates it's value. If SD wants to grow, and I'm sure they do, it's not an option they can afford to be dismissive of. Even if it costs more at least give people the option.

My problem is not necessarily the lack of grid view, it is that so much functionality that I require is missing in the current UI, while EyeTV had it in the grid guide that was easy to understand. If SD can provide the functionality with some different view, more power to them.

1. I want to look at one screen, maybe scroll down one screen and see all of the programs that are playing at a certain time with text. Square graphic images are no use to me, I want to read the program name. I don't immediately recognize a program I may be interested in with a graphic. I don't want to have to hover over a graphic to get the name. I quit playing what-a-mole when I was a kid.

2. When I select a program I don't want the image to cover the time.

3. When I scroll down I want to see the date not just "7:30 pm".

4. I want to see in the main view without clicking whether the program is new or a rerun.

5. I want to easily disable a specific episode and have it marked in the database as recorded so it does not record it again. We have live TV not going through the DVR, and when we watch on Live TV there is no need to record on the DVR, especially if doing so would mean that we would miss another recording what we did not watch.

6. I don't want the DVR to start up its own version of Live TV unless I tell it to.

7. SD advertises some weeks of Discover, but we only get 2 days. No response from my postings here except not sure why that happens.

8. If the program is going to record the little red dot needs to be more obvious.

9. When scrolling down, and am one program over from the beginning so I can see the time, don't force me back to the first program in the row when I pass a time slot with only one program and therefore I can no longer read the time until I have to scroll right again.

10. Show me which programs are going to be recorded (probably task view) without having to look at all programs in the Discover view. So I can see if there are more programs for a time slot than I have tuners.

I'm sure there is more and I'm not optimistic about SD, but maybe they can change my mind.

Neil

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:48 pm

I would be glad to use SDDVR (i.e., without grid guide) if the Discovery Section was useful...ORGANIZED, as currently it’s not organized at all (see GGRussell post above). Personally, I’d like to see Movies listed in chronological order (by future airing date...earliest to latest). I could then add to recordings schedule and then view any new showing additions daily... at the end of the listings to decide to add entries to then schedule.

Currently, having to use a third party product to identify potential new showings and then having to search by manually entering exact name on SDDVR search is not an efficient implementation for a DVR package.

A grid guide for Live TV watching is acceptable (and for some, possibly necessary), however this product advertises itself as a DVR product. For that purpose a grid guide is unwieldy and/or unnecessary. Since I would like to use SDDVR as a “real” DVR product (scheduling 1-2 weeks future showings to be recorded) SD needs to implement an efficient/useable “discovery” process. Otherwise, this product will remain a “Live TV” solution only...by using the slice implementation for near term showings (short future time period)

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”