UK HD signal corruption - gooman

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
gooman

UK HD signal corruption - gooman

Postby gooman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:05 am

I have an HDHR Connect UK attached to my roof-mounted antenna.

Signal strength and quality are both extremely good, but I see pixellation and ghosting on HD broadcasts, randomly but pretty much guaranteed at least once an hour.

Crucially - I don't see this on other devices attached to the same antenna. For example, I have a UK Freeview DVR device recording from the same antenna which shows *no* pixellation or ghosting on the same transmission. Why should the HDHR be more susceptible to pixellation on exactly the same signal source?

I'm using Plex DVR with the HDHR, which records to a .TS file.

My Freeview DVR also records to a .TS file. So I can supply both TS files to compare.

Would this be any use?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: UK HD signal corruption - but not with other devices!

Postby jasonl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:20 pm

We would like to get some diagnostic data.

If you are using a Windows PC:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest beta HDHomeRun Software for Windows from viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613
  2. Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable “Send diagnostic information...” on the Advanced tab and click Apply. If you do not have an Advanced tab, close HDHomeRun Setup and reopen it.
  3. Unplug the power from the HDHomeRun and plug it back in
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, click “Scan” on the Digital Antenna tab
  5. Click OK
  6. Open the HDHomeRun app and watch live TV on a problem channel for at least 10 minutes
If you are using a Mac:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest beta HDHomeRun Mac software from viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613
  2. Open Terminal and run:

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config ffffffff set /sys/debug debug_enabled=10
  3. Unplug the power from the HDHomeRun and plug it back in
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, run a channel scan on the HDHomeRun's web page
  5. Open the HDHomeRun app and watch live TV on a problem channel for at least 10 minutes
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

gooman

Postby gooman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:43 am

As is always the way with these things, now that I'm set up to capture an incident it's become much less frequent!

Just had a brief one this morning - usually much more severe, but again this pixellation didn't occur on my TV tuner.

08:12 GMT BBC1HD (channel 101)
HDHomeRun Device ID: 1231A0B5

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:15 pm

The logs confirm that a reception blip occurred at that time.

Have you been disconnecting and reconnecting the HDHomeRun today? There may be a secondary issue as well.

gooman

Postby gooman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:51 am

I had rebooted the HDHR shortly before that, as per your earlier instructions. Other than that, no.

Why would the HDHR be far more sensitive to such reception blips? I don't get these effects on either my TV tuner, or on the separate DVR (that I'd dearly love to retire). They're both connected to the same antenna, as follows:

Antenna
|
Y Splitter------HDHR
|
DVR
|
TV

The DVR has an antenna passthrough to the TV.

There's a braid-breaker choke just before the splitter, and another one just before the HDHR. Without either of those, these reception blips are much more frequent.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Please open a trouble ticket with a link to this thread.

gooman

Postby gooman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:37 am

Received replacement unit ... same problem occurs.

Signal Strength stays at 96-100%, but Signal Quality occasionally briefly drops to 50% or even 0% for several seconds (as reported by the HDHomeRun Signal Monitor app on Android) and the picture breaks up or freezes. Unpredicatable - can be fine for an hour or more, or do it every few minutes.

Other tuners on the same antenna (such as the one built into my TV) continue with no sign of poor signal or image pixellation, even during several seconds of 0% Signal Quality (when the HDHR image breaks up).

Reported on the Support Ticket. Logging on and occurrence time and date noted.

elabra

Postby elabra » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Received replacement unit ... same problem occurs.

Signal Strength stays at 96-100%, but Signal Quality occasionally briefly drops to 50% or even 0% for several seconds (as reported by the HDHomeRun Signal Monitor app on Android) and the picture breaks up or freezes. Unpredicatable - can be fine for an hour or more, or do it every few minutes.

Other tuners on the same antenna (such as the one built into my TV) continue with no sign of poor signal or image pixellation, even during several seconds of 0% Signal Quality (when the HDHR image breaks up).

Reported on the Support Ticket. Logging on and occurrence time and date noted.
I would do some basic troubleshooting first....

switch the cables... i.e. take the cable that currently connects to the DVR and connect it to the HDHR Tuner and take the cable currently on the HD tuner and connect it to the DVR.

If the problem moves from the HD tuner to the DVR then you know it is a cable &/or splitter issue.

If it stays with the HD tuner then your cables and splitter are not the problem.

Secondly, I had a similar issue here in the USA and it was from Cell phone 4G LTE interference. Not all antennas have built in filters so I am not sure if yours does or not.

I fixed my intermittent pixelation issue by inserting this LTE filter for $7 US to my antenna feed (bought from the UK so it will work for you as well)... but any other LTE filter will do.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3 ... UTF8&psc=1

You could also be having the same 4G LTE interference issue.

Step 1 is free so try that first - it could be interference since the signal strength stays consistent.

Your description makes me think it is not an issue with antenna aiming since the strength stays high and does not deviate but LTE interference can affect the signal quality which is more important than signal strength for having a good/consistent picture. Good luck! Cheers!

gooman

Postby gooman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:30 am

Hi elabra.

Already tried switching the cables, and no difference. Also tried switching the splitter (it's a simple passive splitter so cheap enough) with no difference.

It's definitely not 4G interference ... the affected channels (only the HD ones) are at the low end of the UK digital TV frequency range (474MHz) whereas 4G starts at 790MHz. Just to be sure, I had already tried a filter.

The only two likely causes I can think of are:
  1. It's caused by interference, due to both the original HDHR Connect and the replacement Connect Duo both having greater susceptibility to certain types of interference than either my TV or DVR tuner (given that the two types of HDHR have different circuitry, this might be a firmware issue rather than a hardware issue)
  2. There's no interference, but a firmware bug that's reporting low signal quality under certain conditions
Awaiting further response from Support ...

gooman

Re: UK HD signal corruption - gooman

Postby gooman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:35 am

Still awaiting answer from Support ... asked them twice now if they need any more information and heard precisely zero back!

Has this just disappeared into a black hole, or is it being looked at (or scheduled to be looked at)?

elabra

Postby elabra » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Still awaiting answer from Support ... asked them twice now if they need any more information and heard precisely zero back!

Has this just disappeared into a black hole, or is it being looked at (or scheduled to be looked at)?
If you have not already done so, I would turn on "Send diagnostic info" on to capture the issue in the logs and post the serial number for the unit (you can find it in my.hdhomerun.com page)

This way Nick or Jason can look at it and see if they can determine anything from the log errors.

Based on your troubleshooting it may be hardware related. I had a similar issue with a tuner and they were able to determine it was at fault and replaced it.

I see that you had opened up a trouble ticket before so you may have already sent them this info. Good luck.

wurensh

Postby wurensh » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:34 pm

I was experiencing this issue on an old HDHR4 (connect) unit. In my case it seemed that my signal was *too* good. As a last resort having changed cables etc I bought a cheap attenuator. Weakening the signal going into the HDHR improved the situation vastly for me (but not completely).

For what it's worth I've recently got a new HDHR5 (connect duo) unit and it seems to handle the unattenuated signal much better.

gooman

Postby gooman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:05 am

If you have not already done so, I would turn on "Send diagnostic info" on to capture the issue in the logs and post the serial number for the unit (you can find it in my.hdhomerun.com page)

This way Nick or Jason can look at it and see if they can determine anything from the log errors.

Based on your troubleshooting it may be hardware related. I had a similar issue with a tuner and they were able to determine it was at fault and replaced it.

I see that you had opened up a trouble ticket before so you may have already sent them this info. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion - but as I previously noted, I already have a replacement unit, and have turned on diagnostic logging on the new unit.

They've now got back to me and asked for further info.

gooman

Postby gooman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:08 am

I was experiencing this issue on an old HDHR4 (connect) unit. In my case it seemed that my signal was *too* good. As a last resort having changed cables etc I bought a cheap attenuator. Weakening the signal going into the HDHR improved the situation vastly for me (but not completely).

For what it's worth I've recently got a new HDHR5 (connect duo) unit and it seems to handle the unattenuated signal much better.
My old unit was an HDHR4 - as previously noted, I now have the new Connect Duo and I'm still getting the same problem.

I'm on the edge of a transmission footprint - Signal Strength is reading from 93% to 100%, but there's no way it's too strong a signal given my location from the transmitter, 21 miles away.

elabra

Postby elabra » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Signal Strength is reading from 93% to 100%, but there's no way it's too strong a signal given my location from the transmitter, 21 miles away.
What are your numbers for Signal Quality and Symbol Quality and are they constant or bounce around a lot (more than 5%-10%)?

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”