Kodi, SD-DVR, Win 8.1, How do I schedule ONLY New Programs?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
HDHRBevo

Kodi, SD-DVR, Win 8.1, How do I schedule ONLY New Programs?

Postby HDHRBevo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:10 pm

After a long wait and see, I am now trying to get the SD DVR to work well enough to eliminate WMC. No joy to this point. My HTPC (SD DVR & Playback) machine is on Windows 8.1, and therefore I (think I) am forced to use Kodi as my playback interface. I do have W10 on my desktop machine and can use the Universal app for scheduling. However, among many other issues, I have not found a way to schedule a series with only "new" episodes recorded. What am I missing?

Thanks
Gary

elabra

Re: Kodi, SD-DVR, Win 8.1, How do I schedule ONLY New Programs?

Postby elabra » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:19 pm

This has been a topic discussed often here... the Recent option will record any episode that is first run within the previous 90 days. The All option will record any showing - both new and old (repeat).

Another topic and point of confusion is what you highlight where multiple showings of the same episode are shown with red record dots..... this does not mean that ALL of them will be recorded. Only shows all the possible times for it to be recorded.

HDDVR is smart enough to know once it has been recorded successfully and will NOT record future showings of the same episode (unless there is a problem and you choose the delete and re-record option).

Here is a tutorial by Mediaman that does a much better job than I ever could and should help answer your questions (scroll down to Mediaman's posting for the turorial in the link below):

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=65204

elabra

Postby elabra » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:21 pm

Not sure if my previous link will work but try this one

viewtopic.php?f=126&t=65204

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am

Thanks much elabra, that helps. I have the URL bookmarked. According to the guide, the DVR keeps a recording for 90 days. What happens then? If an recorded episode is to air after 90 days, will the "Recent" setting allow it to be re-recorded? Overall, how well do you feel this method works for you?

One thing the guide did not address, is the duplicate listings, both in the "Tasks" and in the "Recorded" tabs. There is only one instance of the program on the target disk, but does anyone know why the interface shows two?

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Nothing happens after 90 days... The 90 day thing is for when you set a show to Recent, not how long it keeps a recording but how old a show can be to still record. If set to always it doesn't matter how old the show is.

The reason for the double images is one set is for chronological order of recording (most recent first)... the other set is a list of "series"

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks much for the reply signcarver.
The 90 day thing is for when you set a show to Recent, not how long it keeps a recording but how old a show can be to still record.
I apologize for not being more clear about my question. My understanding is that SD-DVR keeps track of programs it has recorded for 90 days and will not repeat those programs when a series is set to record "recent". My question is, when it has been more than 90 days since I recorded a given episode in a series, and a rerun for that episode is scheduled, will that episode be (re-)recorded?

Thanks
Gary

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Thanks much for the reply signcarver.
The 90 day thing is for when you set a show to Recent, not how long it keeps a recording but how old a show can be to still record.
I apologize for not being more clear about my question. My understanding is that SD-DVR keeps track of programs it has recorded for 90 days and will not repeat those programs when a series is set to record "recent". My question is, when it has been more than 90 days since I recorded a given episode in a series, and a rerun for that episode is scheduled, will that episode be (re-)recorded?

Thanks
Gary
No anything recorded and deleted with no re-record will never record again. The 90 days recent means that it will only record episodes that the original airdate is within 90 days and has not been recorded previously.... pay close attention to "original airdate" within 90days.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Nothing as you described happens after 90 days (the dvr engine keeps track of anything you still have the file for, to delete a file you "must" delete through engine with no rerecord option to tell the servers to never offer the episode as an option again... 90 days is just a value that just applies for the recent setting that basically states only record an episode that originally aired in the past 90 days (if you set the rule to recent rather than always) nothing else does 90 days apply to.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Nothing as you described happens after 90 days (the dvr engine keeps track of anything you still have the file for, to delete a file you "must" delete through engine with no rerecord option to tell the servers to never offer the episode as an option again... 90 days is just a value that just applies for the recent setting that basically states only record an episode that originally aired in the past 90 days (if you set the rule to recent rather than always) nothing else does 90 days apply to.
No anything recorded and deleted with no re-record will never record again. The 90 days recent means that it will only record episodes that the original airdate is within 90 days and has not been recorded previously.... pay close attention to "original airdate" within 90days.
My thanks to both of you. I appreciate your time and patience very much.

So once I record an episode, with the recent setting, it will never rerecord that episode again, as long as I delete all episodes via the interface "delete" button (and not the "rerecord" button). If a rerun of a series that I have NOT previously recorded is scheduled, that has an original Air Date (shown under the "Episode" column in the first graphic above) is within 90 days of the AirDate, then it WILL record. Right?

How do different channels play into this logic? The "Tasks" tab does not show the channel assigned to a given task. That implies the scheduler is looking across all channels for an episode of a given series. Or, does it only schedule the original channel?

Thanks
Gary

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”