20170930 - 'slide show' issue

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
JeffRand

Re: 20170930 - 'slide show' issue

Postby JeffRand » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:07 am

I agree 100% with everything RockandRoller70 said. That is exactly what I'm seeing. It is clear to me that there is no network or CPU issue that is preventing the client from playing correctly because it will be stuck playing the slideshow and by flipping channels you can immediately get it to play smoothly.

I can see where it is necessary to skip frames when you fall behind, but once things get caught up, the skipping should stop. For some reason, this doesn't happen for a very long time, if ever.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 pm

This is happening a lot more often lately. Tonight every single time I changed to a channel this happened and I had to toggle off it 3 or 4 times to get it to come in properly.

Really, really irritating. If someone tried this software out and this happened every time, they'd never commit to it.

JeffRand

Postby JeffRand » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Same here. It is ridiculous. But since they can't seem to reproduce the problem (which I find very difficult to believe), it will continue to be ignored.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:58 am

Same here. It is ridiculous. But since they can't seem to reproduce the problem (which I find very difficult to believe), it will continue to be ignored.
One of their developers should take the Xbox One home and use it as their regular device. There's no way it won't happen if they're using the DVR and watching live tv.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:11 am

One of their developers should take the Xbox One home and use it as their regular device. There's no way it won't happen if they're using the DVR and watching live tv.
Not necessarily since this issue is only affected a small sample of people. I've been messing around with tuning a bunch of different channels to see If I can recreate this issue and I am unable to. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the tv signal and the apps handling of it.

Are you guys using OTA or cable and if cable who is the provider? mpeg2 or mpeg4? Resolution?

Griimzer

Postby Griimzer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:21 am

OTA and mpeg2 for me, same slideshow issues as the others.

From Canadian towers and US towers.

my xbox output 720p on my tv.

Channels are 720p or 1080i.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:59 pm

Not necessarily since this issue is only affected a small sample of people.
I dont think you can say that Everytime it gets brought up, different people comment that they experience the issue.

In fact, you seem to be one of the few saying you don't experience it, but you tend to be vocal in every thread saying so (for what reason, I'm not sure).

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 pm

I have never experienced it... keep in mind that people generally post about problems, instead of things working and there have been very, very few that have mentioned this issue and most that have had said it had cleared up for them.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Not necessarily since this issue is only affected a small sample of people.
I dont think you can say that Everytime it gets brought up, different people comment that they experience the issue.

In fact, you seem to be one of the few saying you don't experience it, but you tend to be vocal in every thread saying so (for what reason, I'm not sure).
Because you continue to assume everyone is having this issue. If that were the case there would be a lot more people posting on this thread. I am trying to shed some light on potentially what is causing this problem. The fact that It is not a widespread issue is an important piece in figuring out what is causing it.

If it is limited to a few and it’s not network nor hardware related, then what is causing it. There has to be a common thing between all of those who are experiencing this issue. I asked specific questions trying to help figure out what that common thing is. If everyone answered those questions maybe we can figure it out.

If you look through every post I’ve made on here you will see a trend in that all I’m trying to do is be helpful.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:57 am

Because you continue to assume everyone is having this issue. If that were the case there would be a lot more people posting on this thread. I am trying to shed some light on potentially what is causing this problem. The fact that It is not a widespread issue is an important piece in figuring out what is causing it.
I don't assume everyone is having it, but it's clear that it's more than 'a few'. Continually downplaying the issue is not being very helpful.

I also suspect many people may experience, but ignore this type of issue because it can be worked around.

This wouldn't be the first issue I experienced that others supposedly didn't. I reported for MONTHS about the Android DVR service startup issue before others reported it and it was finally acknowledged by SD.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:08 am

I don't assume everyone is having it, but it's clear that it's more than 'a few'. Continually downplaying the issue is not being very helpful.

I also suspect many people may experience, but ignore this type of issue because it can be worked around.

This wouldn't be the first issue I experienced that others supposedly didn't. I reported for MONTHS about the Android DVR service startup issue before others reported it and it was finally acknowledged by SD.
Ok...can we get back to the whole point of my original post on this thread. For those who are experiencing this there has to be a something in common. Since it's not happening to everyone using an Xbox I think we can rule out hardware. If it's not a network issue as you stated before, then it must be something else.

As I said before I am wondering if there is something with the way the app handles the signal from the tuner which could point to the cable service or OTA signal being received. So maybe if everyone who does have this issue could post their provider, location, codecs (mpeg2 vs mpeg4), resolution, etc., then we might see a pattern. Since SD has not been able to recreate the issue they need information about under what conditions this problem is happening before they can diagnose the cause.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Ok...can we get back to the whole point of my original post on this thread. For those who are experiencing this there has to be a something in common. Since it's not happening to everyone using an Xbox I think we can rule out hardware. If it's not a network issue as you stated before, then it must be something else.

As I said before I am wondering if there is something with the way the app handles the signal from the tuner which could point to the cable service or OTA signal being received. So maybe if everyone who does have this issue could post their provider, location, codecs (mpeg2 vs mpeg4), resolution, etc., then we might see a pattern. Since SD has not been able to recreate the issue they need information about under what conditions this problem is happening before they can diagnose the cause.
Okay fair enough.

I'm on Verizon FIOS in Pittsburgh.

I've seen it on mpeg-2 and mpeg-4. I've seen it regardless of resolution.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Okay fair enough.

I'm on Verizon FIOS in Pittsburgh.

I've seen it on mpeg-2 and mpeg-4. I've seen it regardless of resolution.
Hmmm and Griimzer reported it as happening on OTA. So just between those two that’s a wide spread of signals. Ok so maybe that is not it.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:18 pm

It's literally happening at least 90% of the time now (some sessions close to 99%) when in the past I reported it as 20% of the time. So it has gotten A LOT worse.

This does not happen at all with HDHR on my Windows 10 PC.

My wife is now starting to really complain which may make me have to move the Shield to our primary set which means we'll be losing the DRM channels. Then she'll complain about that.

A no win scenario.

JeffRand

Postby JeffRand » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm on Charter Spectrum in St. Louis. I have two HDHomeRun Primes. I'm not sure how to determine if it is mpeg2 or 4, but since it happens on every channel, I'm sure it doesn't make much difference.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”