Why I'm leaning towards PlexDVR

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
DebbieFL33

Re: Why I'm leaning towards PlexDVR

Postby DebbieFL33 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:50 am

I would gladly devote the time to implement and test, if SD, at the very least, would add a useable Movie search (a la Plex/Channels)
Can you please go into more detail regarding your thoughts on movie search... open to ideas.

Nick
1. Display of Movies sorted chronologically, by (first) airdate. Descending would be preferable, however some may prefer Ascending.
2. Add a filter by Channel Type, i.e. Fav, DRM, AVC
3. Add a filter by Channel#

A future solution would be to add a user defined subset (list of channels) which could then be used as a filter option in 2.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 am

I would gladly devote the time to implement and test, if SD, at the very least, would add a useable Movie search (a la Plex/Channels)
Can you please go into more detail regarding your thoughts on movie search... open to ideas.

Nick
1. Display of Movies sorted chronologically, by (first) airdate. Descending would be preferable, however some may prefer Ascending.

A future solution would be to add a user defined subset (list of channels) which could then be used as a filter option in 2.
To be able to filter by genre would be great.

Diverge

Postby Diverge » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm all about Plex. Best $70 I ever spent for a lifetime pass :P

They recently enabled live TV on their Android app (Android TV had it first)... and it worked pretty good streaming HD channels, transcoded, through a VPN connection on my nexus 6p phone to my home lan, on my employers crappy wireless 8-)

clarkss12

Postby clarkss12 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:05 pm

They recently enabled live TV on their Android app (Android TV had it first)... and it worked pretty good streaming HD channels, transcoded, through a VPN connection on my nexus 6p phone to my home lan, on my employers crappy wireless 8-)
What is your Plex server?

numus

Postby numus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:23 pm

- Plex will never have support for encrypted channels (I only have 2 of those). As far as I know it's still on SD's roadmap.
Have they ever stated this?
More than likely they would have to totally disable the transcoding feature on DRM since that probably violated the encrypted pathway.

Nick

It would be great if the slice guide would display a DRM flag next to DRM channel and in the discovery tabs, ect.

Diverge

Postby Diverge » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:02 pm

What is your Plex server?
It runs on a Synology DSM 5.2 virtual machine (xpenology), in ESXi. Using a supermicro Xeon D 1540 (X10SDV-F) motherboard, in a U-NAS NSC-800 case.

I'm probably switching everything over to Open Media Vault some day, so I don't have to deal with the cat and mouse game of synology vs the xpenology devs who hack around the protections put in so it only works on synology hardware. I have OMV up and running in another VM, but haven't gotten around to setting up all my programs that handle my media (radarr, sonarr, nzbget, Plex Server, etc).

Years ago I used to have a real Synology NAS, but it couldn't really handle transcoding well, so I built my own (many DIY NAS versions later now I basically have server hardware - 8 core/16 threads, 45W, 64GB of ECC ram). If they would just sell he software itself I'd buy it, but they aren't interested it selling it separately (the majority of it is open source anyway).

lmolter54

Postby lmolter54 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:39 am

I've been using Plex DVR for a couple of months now. Lately, with 1.8.x, my recordings fail to complete. I sent the logs up for review but no reply yet since I only sent them this morning. But... with the fall season fast approaching, I need a reliable DVR, and one that will use all 4 Extend tunes if necessary. Rumors are that even the latest Plex PMS release is not tuner aware still. So... I'm switching over to HDHR DVR. I'm sorry that I didn't think of switching earlier and managed to lose a week's worth of The Late Show.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:04 am

I'm not using the PlexDVR myself. The HDHR is working well for me so no compelling reason to changeover at this time. However, my belief is that in the long run, they will ultimately end up with a very good and feature rich product. It's what they do. It might take another year, but Plex has a pretty good track record in my opinion.

The HDHR is very good and usable despite it's shortcomings. I think it could ultimately be a great DVR, but I'm not convinced that's what SD is actually shooting for. SD has a user base that seems to be fairly technical yet they keep signaling that they're aiming for the non-technical user as they keep their interface and feature set very simple. It seems to me they're content to have a product out there that delivers enough performance to warrant the sale of their hardware, but it's going to have to be someone else that delivers something spectacular.

elabra

Postby elabra » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:51 pm

All devices (wired or wireless) are on the same subnet so that's not the issue. I suspect it's because I have a switch in addition to the wireless router and that's an issue for Plex for some reason.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Shouldn't make a difference at all. I run multiple switches and access points and as long as everything is on the same subnet everything should work great.
[/quote]

Same with me- some devices are actually passing through 2 switches without problems.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Everything on my wired network is on a switch and not connected directly to the router. I can stream content on all of wired devices (Xbox, Bluray, Win10) using plex. Switch should not be an issue.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:51 pm

I also have all peripherals on a 1 gb switch, then connected to router. My only problem with this configuration, is when trying to stream from Plex. The positive responses I've received from Plex users (with acceptable playback) are those with an ultra high powered Plex Server. My experience with 1-7 quad core (12gb ram) hasn't been positive on streaming mpegts (without pre processing)...multiple interruptions and lockups when trying to skip through commercial segments. However, when utilizing a Shield as a client, I do not experience these problems.

@GetMatt: I thought you were also experiencing similar playback issues on Plex playback.

What are you using as a Plex Server/Client? Is it capable of decent playback/skip on non pre processed mgpegts files on any other client than a Shield?

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 pm

I also have all peripherals on a 1 gb switch, then connected to router. My only problem with this configuration, is when trying to stream from Plex. The positive responses I've received from Plex users (with acceptable playback) are those with an ultra high powered Plex Server. My experience with 1-7 quad core (12gb ram) hasn't been positive on streaming mpegts (without pre processing)...multiple interruptions and lockups when trying to skip through commercial segments. However, when utilizing a Shield as a client, I do not experience these problems.

@GetMatt: I thought you were also experiencing similar playback issues on Plex playback.

What are you using as a Plex Server/Client? Is it capable of decent playback/skip on non pre processed mgpegts files on any other client than a Shield?
I have no issues with playback. The recording features on Plex DVR fail often for me and the guide data is sometimes there and sometimes not. I get errors when it tries to record about half the time. I am also not a fan of the LiveTV interface on Android and the Xbox app is pretty pathetic. I primarily use Plex to stream HDHR DVR recordings outside of the home but occasionally use it to watch stuff on AndroidTV, Roku or iOS.

My server is a 2ng gen i5 3.3ghz 8gb. I run Minecraft, Plex and HDHomerun DVR all on the same system.

lmolter54

Postby lmolter54 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:32 am

I'm only going to use the HDHR DVR until Plex stabilizes. Why? Because playback on Amazon devices produces interlace artifacts, and since Plex now supports Roku and SD vehemently says they won't ever, I prefer the Roku for playback and will have to switch back eventually. But not now. I need a reliable way to record Late Night and the upcoming fall broadcast season.

rljnc

Postby rljnc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:18 am

I am also running HDHR DVR and Plex to see which I like best, to be honest so far I have not had any issues with plex, where I have had some shows stop short on the HDHR, had shows recording on both so had to finish watching the shows on plex. I also like plex where you can say keep so many episodes, my wife records a soap so it's great just to be able to say keep 5 episodes, would like to see this on HDHR dvr.I know plex has issues with turners in use it currently expects all turners to be available so if one is not your recording will fell, since I am not in my heavy recording time this has not been a problem yet.

Bluehawk

Postby Bluehawk » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:21 am

For me at the moment, PLEX DVR is having too many problems with tuner management. Randomly doesn't recognize more than one tuner. I prefer to use the reliable SD DVR as the recording device, and Plex as the management tool it is so good at. Plex has always been great at putting a pretty face to our recorded material. It can also delete after watching, keep a certain number of shows, even if they are recorded by SD DVR just use the advanced settings.

Also Plex allows me to binge watch programs that have been massaged by MCEBuddy to be commercial free without having to touch the controller once it is started.

I've been in since the beginning of the Kickstarter with SD, and find it really stable on the WD Mycloud which was part of that program. Plex has not been as stable they get it going make changes and have a release that puts a problem into the mix.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”