Does DVR record DRM or not?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
dlpalumbo

Does DVR record DRM or not?

Postby dlpalumbo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:59 am

After not keeping up with forum for a few months, I checked back to see that DVR was now released. YEAH. I thought I read it would play/record DRM material until I saw this footnote:

*US will support protected/drm/access control content in a planned future release (this is in active development but is currently not supported).

So I'm confused. Do it or don't it?

Thanks,

Dan

NYPlayer

Re: Does DVR record DRM or not?

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:02 am

After not keeping up with forum for a few months, I checked back to see that DVR was now released. YEAH. I thought I read it would play/record DRM material until I saw this footnote:

*US will support protected/drm/access control content in a planned future release (this is in active development but is currently not supported).

Thanks,

Dan
Have fun reading. You can play but not record.
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=64023

Rickt1962

Postby Rickt1962 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Using Windows 7 WMC with the proper Video card you can record Protected Channels.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks,

Dan
Have fun reading. You can play but not record.
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=64023
Also DVR has not been released, but they are close. The only feature promised at release that is missing is resume for recordings. They said DRM will likely be out for live TV on Win/Xbox and Android at release and DVR will follow afterwards.

wspicker

Postby wspicker » Fri May 19, 2017 1:02 pm

My experience so far is that DRM playback does not work. It records DRM and makes big files, but I've not been able to play them back using hdhomerun or any other player that I can find for Windows 10. So far, my experience with HDHomerun has been a rather big disappointment. Reading all the hype on the Silicon Dust web site gave me the impression that this would solve all my problems, but the DRM recording issue is a real deal breaker.

The facts surrounding the DRM recording feature are buried among a lot of misleading advertising on SD's web site, in my opinion. I can't say for sure that SD is intentionally misleading the public, but it sure feels that way to me.

snorkel

Postby snorkel » Fri May 19, 2017 1:32 pm

It will eventually be able to record and playback DRM. we will just have to be patient.

It's not SDs fault, it's the ahole cable providers like timewarner aka spectrum who insist on doing the copy once on everything when they don't have to. plenty of other cable providers don't do that and for some reason TW/Spectrum say they have too, which I say is bull.

File a complaint with the FCC about Spectrum or others that insist on the copy once flag on everything.

It really sucks because they cable companies are monopolies, for example in wisc charter/TW aka spectrum control the whole state now and the only alternative is over the air or satellite.

wspicker

Postby wspicker » Fri May 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Yes, I understand that they expect to get it working eventually. I might still have ultimately purchased Hdhomerun anyway. I'm just irritated that SD isn't more forthcoming in the picture they paint on the web site.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Fri May 19, 2017 11:58 pm

I fail to see how they are being deceptive - second paragraph from the beginning of "So, what is the HDHomeRun DVR service?" https://www.silicondust.com/dvr-service/#what
Our concept is that Live and recorded content can be watched from media devices with our brand new and innovative interface. And yes, it even works with protected content in the US*.
*US will support protected/drm/access control content in a planned future release (this is in active development but is currently not supported). In all other regions unencrypted cable TV only, is supported.

xnappo

Postby xnappo » Sat May 20, 2017 6:45 am

I have been lurking here for a year. I don't have a problem with the delay, what I do have a problem with is the communication of the status.

It would be really nice to just have a post with a table in it that has the platforms, features, and status. That way, those of us on Spectrum[legacy TWC side] where it is pretty much useless until DRM is done can quickly check without going through and reading a bunch of posts every couple of weeks.

Such a post doesn't even have to be official - if a 'power user' can do it it would be *very* much appreciated.

Thanks!
xnappo

P.S. Do any of the platforms support 'trick play' on DRM channels yet? Aka pause and rewind while watching 'live' TV?

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Sat May 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Such a post doesn't even have to be official - if a 'power user' can do it it would be *very* much appreciated.
You could subscribe to the Changelog thread here: viewtopic.php?f=119&t=32339
P.S. Do any of the platforms support 'trick play' on DRM channels yet? Aka pause and rewind while watching 'live' TV?
No.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Sat May 20, 2017 3:29 pm

No.
It is referred to here as time shifting and to be able to do that it needs to be able to record to a temp file [which may be able to make it permanent - was something that Sage TV could do and might be doable]. The only feature addition promised before RC of the OTA RC is direct record from the red button on the action bar and EAS messaging [but that might be there when CC was added]. Then the focus should be on drm recording in W10 platforms. Hopefully some bug fixes in between that stabilizes the W10 client app a bit more and some way to allow surround sound in Live tv..

xnappo

Postby xnappo » Sat May 20, 2017 5:45 pm

The changelog thread hardly serves the purpose. It is a simple request.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Sat May 20, 2017 7:32 pm

I was just offering a suggestion. Take it or leave it. Your call.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:38 am

Using Windows 7 WMC with the proper Video card you can record Protected Channels.
He asked if the DVR supported it, not if WMC does.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:40 am

It's been done before, but unless the SD Admins make it a sticky, it just disappears.

And, they don't seem interested doing that.

There's only so much the user base can do on their own.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”