Live TV on NVIDIA Shield TV Devices Freezing

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jboymichelstein

Re: Live TV on NVIDIA Shield TV Devices Freezing

Postby jboymichelstein » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Does no one here have an older version of their android app?
Doesn't matter. The old app will not work if your shield firmware is up to date.
Last edited by jboymichelstein on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheLastOfUs

Postby TheLastOfUs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Does no one here have an older version of their android app?
Doesn't matter. Will not work is you shield firmware is up to date.
From what I understand - the Shield / Google / NVIDIA is the problem. Not Silicon Dust? Apparently google has a bug with the new update???

drunken_prozac

Postby drunken_prozac » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:44 am

It isn't going to fix the freezing with the beta app but I had this before Christmas, just random freezes, crashes, out of sync audio.

I uninstalled and put on the green app from December and I haven't had a single issue on the Shield. I know this doesn't help with the recording DVR people but as SiliconDust say 'it's an issue with Android' i would call bull I'm afraid.

My post on the issues ->viewtopic.php?t=64270

The Green app I installed (use at your own peril but I have no issues) -> http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/silicondus ... -download/

TheLastOfUs

Postby TheLastOfUs » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 am

Wanted to post my own experience on this front.

Been using my own Shield TV Pro with the HDHR App from the google play store. Had absolutely no issues whatsoever in regards to freezing or anything anyone mentions here. I truly wonder how many people are being plagued by this and more importantly: why... but I don't think it may directly be a Silicon Dust issue. Something more might be at play here.... :(

shalamigri

Postby shalamigri » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:33 pm

I have an update on this issue.

When I got home from work last night, the Shield TV Box in my family room was frozen. My wife said it had been frozen for about 30 minutes. My wife went upstairs and opened up the HDHomerun app on the Shield TV box in out family room. As soon as she did that, the Shield TV box in our family room unfroze. Both Shield devices were tuned to different channels.

Hopefully, this may help get to the bottom of this issue.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:06 am

Been using my own Shield TV Pro with the HDHR App from the google play store. Had absolutely no issues whatsoever in regards to freezing or anything anyone mentions here. I truly wonder how many people are being plagued by this and more importantly: why... but I don't think it may directly be a Silicon Dust issue. Something more might be at play here.... :(
Nickk already stated that there is a problem with MPEG2 and the NVIDIA Shield.

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=64742&p=293330&hi ... g2#p293330

mcewinter

Postby mcewinter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:50 am

I thought that dummying the audio to PCM was supposed to be a workaround? Personally, I had a better experience when digital audio was enabled.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:11 am

I thought that dummying the audio to PCM was supposed to be a workaround? Personally, I had a better experience when digital audio was enabled.
For now I disabled AC3 Pass-through altogether on the HDHomerun View ... no Sync errors that I have noticed ... EMBY has no problem passing through AC3 ... So I use it all the time for LIVETV.

TheLastOfUs

Postby TheLastOfUs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:04 pm

I don't know what that even means. I'm just saying I don't have the issue at all. Plus he did say "It is unclear if the stall you are experiencing is related to this or not. We are investigating."

Which means what you're reporting may not be even related to MPEG2. All I know is - mine isn't stuttering or freezing and I've been watching for 8+ hours just fine on the App.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:30 pm

I don't know what that even means. I'm just saying I don't have the issue at all. Plus he did say "It is unclear if the stall you are experiencing is related to this or not. We are investigating."

Which means what you're reporting may not be even related to MPEG2. All I know is - mine isn't stuttering or freezing and I've been watching for 8+ hours just fine on the App.
Kudos to you for not having the problem but there are many that have the problem with the android app .... Remember there are many different streams it depends on your provider etc... Watching a game is fun ... the announcer says Curry for three and it is good and he has not even shot :D :D .. that is why I am using EMBY for lifeTV.... and will continue to use it until the next release of the Android APP.

iamspartacus

Postby iamspartacus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:18 pm

I gave up on the HDHomerun app long ago. I use the Live Channels Android app and have had no issues to speak of.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:24 pm

I gave up on the HDHomerun app long ago. I use the Live Channels Android app and have had no issues to speak of.
Yeah that works I went with EMBY because I can watch LIVETV on my Phone and other devices while away. Comcast Streaming does not allow certain channels to be viewed away from home. With Emby I can watch all.

TheLastOfUs

Postby TheLastOfUs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Kudos to you for not having the problem but there are many that have the problem with the android app .... Remember there are many different streams it depends on your provider etc..

Well then if by your logic it IS the provider ....why ask SiliconDust? Do you think they can force something on your providers side? Call the provider and complain. You don't call your car wash guy if your car doesn't run, do you? How do you know it's not your provider's fault when working with HDHR? Doesn't matter if EMBY works - that's a different program. Could very well be Comcast.

:lol:

psuKinger

Postby psuKinger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:33 am

It supports all bitstream formats, including more recent ones like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/news/xbox-one- ... lFAoyf8.99
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just pointing out that supporting Atmos and DTS:X is not the same as supporting TrueHD and HD-MA. That had always been the weakness, at least until now...

Atmos comes in 2 flavors. A "lossy" object-based "atmos" version of DD+, and a "lossless" object-based "atmos" version of TrueHD. Supporting "atmos", generically, does not necessarily mean it supports lossless audio.

jboymichelstein

Postby jboymichelstein » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Your right seems to pass it as pcm. I thought Microsoft was going to be licensed the codecs. :(

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”