Device and Tuner Priority?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
thepaladintech

Device and Tuner Priority?

Postby thepaladintech » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Wondering how HDHomeRun DVR selects a tuner? I'm trying to migrate away from WMC. it *appears* that HDHomeRun DVR prefers the tuner with the lower IP address? is this correct? or does it prefer the tuner with the lower device ID? or what? I'd like to give restrict WMC down to 2 tuners. I know how to restrict the tuners WMC is allowed to use, I'd just like to give it the two that HDHomeRun will be the least likely to use.

TeddyR

Re: Device and Tuner Priority?

Postby TeddyR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:58 am

With multiple tuners (mixed Primes and Extend/Connects) I believe the order is

ATSC
ClearQAM
Cablecard

if the same channel is available on all three; HD preferred over SD if both are available.

UNLESS you use the favorite feature by going to the device ip adresss (or via my.hdhomerun.com) (but caveat is WMC does not honor favorites, only the items that follow the SD API do). When favorites are used, the favorited version is selected first then the non-favorited (and of course a disabled will not be used)

The SD API takes care of tuner selection usually so it is mostly transparent. Getting the behavior you are asking for may be feasible by favoring the channels on the device that you want the SD software to see first and at the same time only selecting the tuner that you want WMC to see within WMC; but that defeats the best feature of the SD tuners. The ability to dynamically share and use tuners across WMC/SD software (and other items that follow the SD APIs for tuner selection) as needed.

If you are running out of tuners, add another device; you can mix and match as needed... :-)

[With the different items I use, I now have 4 primes, 1 extend, 2 old HDHRs that all work together and happily share tuners... For me the only item that had an issue was PlexDVR and only because it did not play well with others)

thepaladintech

Postby thepaladintech » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:56 am

If I read this correctly you are saying that wmc will not use a tuner that SD is? If true that solves the problem! I'd assumed that wmc being so old wouldn't do that.

TeddyR

Postby TeddyR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:02 am

If I read this correctly you are saying that wmc will not use a tuner that SD is? If true that solves the problem! I'd assumed that wmc being so old wouldn't do that.
No.

WMC will use the tuners that it is told to use. What I was saying was that by default WMC and SD items can coexist and share tuners dynamically. WMC does not honor the SD favorites/disabled channels method as it uses its own. If a tuner is used by WMC, SD will simply try the next available tuner. If SD is using the tuner, WMC will give a message and then try the next tuner until none are available.

What I was describing was a way to "force" an order by using favorites so that the SD software tries the favorite channels on the tuners first... but that defeats the purpose (and versatility of the product).

thepaladintech

Postby thepaladintech » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 am

understood, thanks

But still wondering - I have 2 SD Primes. Given NO tuners in use and all other factors the same, how does SD PVR decide which device it will use? I would think it would always use the same device & tuner first... how does it decide which one?

groundhog22

Postby groundhog22 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:28 pm

The order is by device ID. So your lowest available Prime is first priority for HDHomerunDVR/View.

I have three devices, and the number of records for each over the last 6 months is
1317---- 1038 Recordings
1318---- 98 Recordings
131C---- 5 Recordings

If I grep the logs for error 503 (http not found/tuner not available) I can follow the failovers for the 5 recordings from device 1317---- to another failover on 1318---- through success on 131C----.

The device ID for each non-Prime unit is lower, so it supports the Over-Air priority over Cable rule with a natural order (I beleive the OTA devices have a lower device ID ).
It starts with tuner 0, 1, 2.

The exception rule to this is that subsequent recordings of the same station can overlap on the same tuner.
This too has a caveat. For the weird use case that I have for programs following Sunday night football which I schedule with a 30 minute end buffer to account for overtime... I can have football, "Simpsons", and "Bob's Burgers" all recording at the same time from the same station, but the DVR uses two tuners instead of just one.

thepaladintech

Postby thepaladintech » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Thanks, I think I now have a temporary solution while I migrate away from WMC.

I've given one Device to PlexDVR (so it get's three tuners) - As I now understand it, PlexDVR doesn't play nice with the others.
In the setup of the this Prime I've disabled all the channels - so SD PVR shouldn't use it

The second Prime - I've given WMC only the last tuner (#2) - and setup the prime to have channels as favorites. So SD PVR for sure get's 2 tuners, possibly three.

And WMC gets one

For me, there are a few reasons I've given PlexDVR a Device...
1. SD PVR will not record anything if the internet is down
2. I cannot remotely schedule SD PVR to record
3. Currently like Plex interface better

And why I am using SD PVR...
1. Seems to be way quicker skipping around a recording
2. LiveTV and Time Shifting (pausing live tv)

Both work on my Windows Phones (we are all windows phone at my house)

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:08 pm

SD DVR will record if the internet is down for a period of a few hours. I had the internet go down for approximately 2 hours and my shows recorded just fine.

numus

Postby numus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:41 am

SD DVR will record if the internet is down for a period of a few hours. I had the internet go down for approximately 2 hours and my shows recorded just fine.
Ya they are talking about giving us the full 1-2 week guide data in the future when the DVR is out of beta. The only problem is the guide data can be unreliable the further into the future you go (all stations are subject to change). Granted since it downloads new guide data (I believe every few hours to every day) any discrepancies should be overwritten with newer data.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:25 am

If I am remembering correctly show times can be changed in guides up to 24 hours before airing. As we know often sports can be swapped around the ESPN channels on the fly or extend the time. In the past I used a college football game listing service that would list all the potential channels a game might play on to find the one it was scheduled for [very useful for WMC users now who get no listing of what is playing in a time slot from tivorivo]. Our new guide provider may be able to deal with those situations better.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:26 am

Ya they are talking about giving us the full 1-2 week guide data in the future when the DVR is out of beta. The only problem is the guide data can be unreliable the further into the future you go (all stations are subject to change). Granted since it downloads new guide data (I believe every few hours to every day) any discrepancies should be overwritten with newer data.
All they have said is that it works now for 4 hours (may have changed recently) w/o internet and that they would extend it, but they never said 1-2 weeks. I could see maybe 24-48 hours, but not much more. I don't believe that it stores the guide data, but just the information for the recordings scheduled during that window. If you saw a post from SD otherwise I would like to see where they said that.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:48 am

I have never heard more than 8-12 hours as the goal for dvr service (as far as what to record). Guide service is another matter and that is always retrieved from the cloud in four hour blocks... slices beyond 4 hours work by requesting another 4 hour block for that specific channel.

numus

Postby numus » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:20 pm

All they have said is that it works now for 4 hours (may have changed recently) w/o internet and that they would extend it, but they never said 1-2 weeks. I could see maybe 24-48 hours, but not much more. I don't believe that it stores the guide data, but just the information for the recordings scheduled during that window. If you saw a post from SD otherwise I would like to see where they said that.
Going to try to search for it when I get the free time, but if my memory is correct, it was under the discussion when they switched to the new guide supplier that they have something like 1-2 weeks available from that content provider and they were talking about a possibility of just passing the entire amount to the client. I will see if I can find it somewhere but I know schedules direct allows something like 13 days of guide data to be downloaded so it would make sense if the same held true for the content provider of SD. I don't see a reason to not pass the entire guide content (atleast a few days worth) to us since internet COULD (and has in my case) been down for days at a time while TV still works.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Going to try to search for it when I get the free time, but if my memory is correct, it was under the discussion when they switched to the new guide supplier that they have something like 1-2 weeks available from that content provider and they were talking about a possibility of just passing the entire amount to the client. I will see if I can find it somewhere but I know schedules direct allows something like 13 days of guide data to be downloaded so it would make sense if the same held true for the content provider of SD. I don't see a reason to not pass the entire guide content (atleast a few days worth) to us since internet COULD (and has in my case) been down for days at a time while TV still works.
The reason for not doing it is that you would be downloading a lot of data. All that guide data takes up a lot of space. The reason other services are able to do it that they only update every few days which means the DVR won't capture last minute changes to the guide like the SD DVR does now. If you want to stay up to date you would have to be constantly re-downloading large amounts of guide data.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 pm

I believe that Nick had said that creating a task would require internet connection always but beyond that you would need to connect at least before the listings expire.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”