W7 WMC scanning channels

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
SoNic67

W7 WMC scanning channels

Post by SoNic67 »

Any ideas why ONE station won't come in the scanning the OTA channels?
I have two tuners and with the SD apps, I can see all the channels, I can play channel 13.1-13.5, but the WMC doesn't find the ABC Chanel 13.1-13.5 (physical channel 11 VHF).

stuartm

Re: W7 WMC scanning channels

Post by stuartm »

Because WMC does not scan the VHF frequencies. You will need to add VHF channels by hand to WMC. This is all detailed in the EPG123 documentation which you will most likely need to use if you are using WMC.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 »

I have added them manually. The station was on Ch 13 (UHF) before, now is aligned on 11.
I use epg123 of course.

Thanks!

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

If you previously used Microsoft's guide data, it might still have the old pre-repack mappings saved in the database. Unfortunately Microsoft decided to cut off the data at the worst possible time, so when the data stopped being updated we were only halfway through the repack, and many of the VHF changes didn't happen until the final phases. So VHF stations that are still on the same RF number like WTPC (RF 7) would be fine, but VHF stations that moved after the cutoff like WVEC (RF 13->RF 11) and WSKY (RF 9->RF 13) need to be manually entered.

And to make things worse, the eHome team decided to code Media Center to only scan for UHF stations, even though by 1998 it was already known that the post-transition band would still include 2-13, and by the time the Vista TV Pack came out, which Windows 7 Media Center is based on, it was already known that nearly every DMA would have at least 1 VHF digital post-2009 and multiple markets already had VHF digitals on the air.

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 »

That's the usual dis-interest of MS in WMC I guess...
Like the fact that DP is not recognized as HDCP capable, only HDMI. So I could not use a Quadro P620 with CableCard DRM, had to buy a GT1030.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

At one time, one of the specs did explicitly list HDMI and DVI as supported outputs for DRM content, so at least there was potentially a justification for Microsoft doing that. IIRC, Ceton was able to get CableLabs to revise the spec to change that, but by then WMC development was dead so it was mostly a moot point. Windows does consider an HDMI display connected via a DP->HDMI adapter to be HDMI, so that does work, though HDCP on workstation cards is even less reliable than it is on desktop cards.