Who supports MadVR and DRM'ed CableCARD channels

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
CZ Eddie

Who supports MadVR and DRM'ed CableCARD channels

Post by CZ Eddie »

Hi, is there anything new on this since the last time I researched the subject in 2019?
Is there any new Live TV software which supports MadVR and DRM'ed CableCARD channels?

SoNic67

Re: Who supports MadVR and DRM'ed CableCARD channels

Post by SoNic67 »

I am still using my Windows Media Center from Windows 7 for DRM cable channels. With epg123 as guide server of course, since MS disabled their guide.
Note that WMC has to be used with a card that has native HDMI output, because the DP outputs are not recognized by WMC as HDCP capable. I had to switch out my Quadro P620 with a GT1030 because of that. I even tried cable adapters from DP to HDMI, did not worked.

AFAIK nothing else supports DRM.

See this discussion:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/guide- ... r.2364113/

socalman

Post by socalman »

Perhaps I'm missing something. I have Frontier Prime TV package, I'm assuming I have a few DRM channels, if I do... Kodi (LibreELEC on RaspberryPi 3b/ HDHR-Prime) plays them fine.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

DRM protected channels will have a DRM icon next to them after you do a scan on the lineup page.

If Kodi can play them, they are not DRM protected. Only things that pass CableLabs certification can playback DRM protected CableCARD channels, since Kodi is open source it will never be certified.

MadVR needs to intercept the video before it hits your display device to do its post processing, so it probably will also never get certified for CableCARD DRM.

socalman

Post by socalman »

kyl416 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:03 pm DRM protected channels will have a DRM icon next to them after you do a scan on the lineup page.

If Kodi can play them, they are not DRM protected. Only things that pass CableLabs certification can playback DRM protected CableCARD channels, since Kodi is open source it will never be certified.

MadVR needs to intercept the video before it hits your display device to do its post processing, so it probably will also never get certified for CableCARD DRM.
Thx! That makes since now. Back when I had some original HDHR equipment my provider was Time Warner (Before CC's), was able to recorded HBO n others using WMC then playback using Kodi. Guess they only encrypted QAM because I never saw DRM label's.

Frontier has "Protected Channels" that work fine on Kodi PVR client.