TVHomeWalk for AppleTV

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
hbruno

TVHomeWalk for AppleTV

Post by hbruno »

Hello,

I wrote a tvOS app for watching TV from a Homerun HD device.
The app is called TVHomeWalk ;)

It has been posted on the Apple store and all that remains is to cross our fingers for Apple to validate it.

You can see the official preview here:
http://demo.apps-hb.com/tvhomewalkpreview.mov

And a preview in real use here:
http://demo.apps-hb.com/tvhomewalkrealpreview.mov

The application has been tested in France with only one "duo" box on the network and works very well in this configuration.
There is no TV guide at the moment but the menu to change channels is very practical.

I can add the logos of the channels but I will need your help as I only know those of my country.

It will be sold around 3 dollars (lifetime purchase) to finance its development and updates.

hbruno

Re: TVHomeWalk for AppleTV

Post by hbruno »

Good news, after some explanations with Apple the application has gone online now.

You can find it by doing a search with its name "TVHomeWalk".
Link: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tvhomewalk/id1540088071

hbruno

Post by hbruno »

360 views and not a single feedback ?

So that you can test this application without risk, I offer 10 codes to redeem on your Apple account.
They will allow the first 10 people to have free access to the application until the code expires from now until approximately 28 days.

Code expires on 2020-12-14 00:09:01 Etc/GMT

WXRRKYYTMWW7
6YKE6JAHNAFF
XH443YH7AMM9
7TNXAPA3P4TM
9LPWNKEH6WKK
F9P6M37H77Y3
969KLF7K4TX7
LYLPNKM7E9WA
4FJLPHJT3X4T
L4ELWE9T7LF3

Have fun :)

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

I like the way your channel list and selection method looks from the previews, but I think your obstacle is going to be that you're asking for people to pay for a (currently?) limited solution when there is a free solution from SiliconDust on tvOS that checks all the boxes for what their ecosystem offers.

With just Live TV support (no EPG, no HDHomeRun DVR), you are also putting yourself in competition with existing solutions like Kodi that offer much more functionality out of the box and without any monetary cost to the end user on the tvOS platform.

I think you have a very good eye for what makes a pleasing UI design from what I've seen in your videos, and there are a lot of people that do not appreciate/like the HDHomeRun app's design, so you may be onto something. If you are looking for unsolicited advice, mine would be to make what you have "free" for now and refine it into something that adds enough value to tvOS users that they would want to pay for it. Note that you are going to fight an uphill battle on the EPG data for users that are not subscribed to the HDHomeRun DVR service, and this may become a limiting factor for you. I speak from legit experience here.

To me, this application would be a non-starter in it's current state since it doesn't add any (non-cosmetic) value to existing solutions and it's expecting the end user to pay a fee to use it based solely on aesthetics.

I hope that my feedback, while negative, helps you get to your end goal and monetization desires, my friend.

hbruno

Post by hbruno »

Thank you for this feedback, all opinions even with negative aspects are good to take to develop the application in the right direction.

The official app, I don't like the UI at all. It is quite difficult to select the channels. I find it not very practical on this point. It happened more than once to launch the TV channel before or after the one I wanted. In addition, half the time I hear the TV channel in duplicate with a slight delay between the two sounds like echo. I don't know if it's corrected since. In addition I believe that without internet the official application does not launch (not tested but read on the forum).

As for the competitors if I had found my happiness I would not have created this application. Kodi doesn't exist on tvOS, you have to sideload the application which I don't really like. And Plex could be fine even if it's not super ergonomic either, but Plex writes on my NAS hard drive continuously as a cache. I don't really like my hard drives to wear out just to watch TV.

So yes, there is no EPG or other because it's version 1.0 to see if Apple validates it and if people are interested. There must be a free EPG somewhere that I could include in the future.
In any case, I really appreciate my very simple application for changing channels.

Since I plan to keep the material for a long time I would like to improve it over time. However, I would need help from other users from several different countries to see what their channel lists look like.

Those who want to participate can send me the result of this address specifying the country:
http: //hdhomerun.local/lineup.json

A few countries to start with should be enough to compare the numbering of the tv channels so that I can code something from this information. Then we'll see if I need a list of each country (for channel logos maybe)