HDHomerun 3 tuners, cable card, NPVR

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
billy.johnston

HDHomerun 3 tuners, cable card, NPVR

Post by billy.johnston »

I've been using my SiliconDust HDHomerun happily for years. I've been using nPVR to record on a WinXP Pro X64. At first I had been using Schedules Direct for my TV Guide and listings but a year or more ago I had to go to mc2xml but honestly never really understood what it was doing to get the schedule to nPVR. That stopped a while back but I got it working again. Now it's been failing to get listings for a couple of weeks. It seems to me that perhaps the channel data that the HDHomerun gets can be used to populate nPVR but then it's probably that I don't understand what's going on, e.g. might get channel ID data but not future programming. I've asked on other forums but getting flamed for not wanting to upgrade my WinXP gets tiresome. The mc2xml updates stopped for no apparent reason and a reinstall doesn't bring up a setup, same on a much slower Win7 machine. I won't use my gaming laptop, Win10, although fast, it doesn't have a second NIC to dedicate to the HDHomerun. I've looked a bit into getting programming xml data from my tivo xl4 but not successfully.

Help with this would be appreciated.

billy.johnston

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomerun 3 tuners, cable card, NPVR

Post by signcarver »

I would stick to working on a solution for your windows 7 pc first and even that at times might be hard to get to work. One issue is that several sources of data have updated their security and even windows 7 often doesn't have the updates that can access it (For SD's own app on windows 7, a new release of the software had to come out that included such patch just to connect to their servers for their own app to work). Then figure out what you did to get it working on that and see if you can get it to work on xp. Without being in control of the source of the data, figuring out if that is the problem might be hard. You also didn't say how you configured mc2xml and what service you are currently using for it (you had mentioned schedules direct but perhaps that subscription ran out)... many used it with WMC data but Microsoft shut that down quite awhile ago.

I'm trying to figure out what you meant by "the channel data that the HDHomerun gets can be used to populate nPVR" as to me that seems to be asking about the xml data that would require SD's (on this forum SD means SiliconDust not Schedules Direct) DVR subscription to access (in theory one can get 4 hours without setting off "alarms" in trying to get the rest of the days data... not really enough for a DVR, and most likely not enough for next(? as npvr can mean a number of things)) but since release of the xml method, even using that 4 hour block may be frowned upon use as that is for SD's software and they have asked for people who used it to switch to the xml guide data (paid by havins SD's DVR subscription. Also for such guide data, the tuner must have access to the internet which many that connect it to an ethernet port on the computer rather than a switch/router on their network don't implement.

What you might end up having to do eventually is use the windows 10 pc to get the xml data from some source (such as Schedules Direct) and then pull that data (file) to whatever machine that needs it.

billy.johnston

Post by billy.johnston »

Thanks. I pretty much didn't expect that harvesting data from HDHomeRun3 would work but asked.

Am working on the win7 machine. Really don't like win7 and win10 even less. XP made sense and didn't screw up, e.g. scheduled tasks on win7 can't properly follow a path and I found a duplicate program files directory in the program files direct

Am considering buying a newegg deal on a motherboard and cpu but then after spending $500 bucks I'll still need memory and perhaps a cooler but then if I can't get hdhomerun->nextpvr->mcebuddy on win7 without upgrading to win10 I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Right now my hdhomerun3 is on a dedicated line to the xp machine and I shut down internet access while recording. This gave me good clean recording. Right now the only device I can see in nextpvr on the win7 machine is something called IPTV which I must have installed somewhere along the line. Not sure if I can populate nextpvr TVGuide without a device having channels.

From a post on forums.plex.tv dated 4 days ago: "Schedules Direct is only licensed to provide data to open source / non-commercial apps. Using SD with Plex (or Emby) is a violation of the SD terms of service.
Gracenote, the SD data source is in the B2B business. They’re willing to let hobbyists play, but don’t want to cut into their core business. Please respect our license terms. The predecessor to SD was shut down partly because of commercial use. We don’t want the same thing to happen to us.
This message is on our signup page:
ATTENTION: These products have been known to recommend Schedules Direct as a data source but are not permitted to use SD.
Digiguide
Emby
Interact-TV/Telly
JRiver Media Center
Plex
Vbox

Robert Eden
President, Schedules Direct"

And I'm not really sure what I'd export from the win7 machine to the xp machine to get nextpvr tvguide populating.

billy.johnston

billy.johnston

Post by billy.johnston »

I wonder if my having installed pihole on an RPI for this network would have had any bearing on the failures.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

My win7 ultimate box uses WMC and schedules direct and has just pretty much continued to work with a very occasional glitch since I decided to give up on the hacked in version for 10 and set up 7 to run it. Maybe it would be a better option for you being slightly newer and up to date. I still even get a occasional update but might be because I ran the business update thing. Would NPVR be OK running on 7 if you want to stick with it?

billy.johnston

Post by billy.johnston »

Something is changing on the web. Must be since the summer reruns ended. Just looked into zap2xml-install.exe for windows, found a link that was said to work a week ago but now just shows javascript:void(0) which is nada. Couldn't find a torrent for it either.

Absolutely want to continue with NextPVR but frustrated with win7 and want it working on XP. Just changed the DNS on my machines and routers back to google 8.8.8.8 and it wasn't a fix for mc2xml. On the win7 machine I deleted the .dat file and tried running mc2xml.exe but again just a dos box flash and closes. The pihole blocked Roku shows from running when they couldn't run their starting commercial on any program. On that router had to removed pihole dns back in September.

So, if I ran zap2xml on an RPI and got an .xml programming file, how could I get NextPVR to use it on the XP? That would keep my HDHR3 functional.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Have you considered moving to Linux and running NextPVR there? At least that way you can run an OS that isn't woefully insecure (and being heavily targeted by ransomware and other nasty stuff) while still being able to use older hardware. You'll probably want to stick to a lightweight desktop like Xfce rather than a heavy one like KDE or GNOME, but that's why Xubuntu exists.

billy.johnston

Post by billy.johnston »

I was an early user of Debian and still use it at times. I liked KDE but really the online world is geared to Windows and as a result as bad as Win7 and Win10 might be, non-linux friendly web stuff is even more frustrating.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

jasonl wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:37 pm Have you considered moving to Linux and running NextPVR there? At least that way you can run an OS that isn't woefully insecure (and being heavily targeted by ransomware and other nasty stuff) while still being able to use older hardware. You'll probably want to stick to a lightweight desktop like Xfce rather than a heavy one like KDE or GNOME, but that's why Xubuntu exists.
If you're considering a Linux distro to use for DVR purposes, you would probably be better served by Mythbuntu.

billy.johnston

Post by billy.johnston »

Interesting. I generated a data.xml file on win7 using xmltv tv_grab_zz_sdjson --output data.xml, moved the file to the XP machine, open NextPVR, Settings->channels and set two channels to Source XMLTV and used the data.xml file, closed and reopened but NextPVR continues to use the old xmltv.xml file generated on 9/30/2020. I looked at the two files and the channel id= data was in a different format, old I1.32046 new I10021, the new is json while the old wasn't. The win7 machine doesn't have any channels as the HDHR3 isn't connected.

billy.johnston

Post by billy.johnston »

Have moved the HDHR3 from XP to Win7 machine. Firmware updating, wasn't expected.
A problem has been detected with UPnP discovery...

Took upwards of an hour but scanned channels.

Opened NextPVR, not finding devices... will reboot and see if it helps

billy.johnston

Post by billy.johnston »

Rebooting did help. Devices were found. Probably could have exported HDHR3 channel data but scanned the first device in NextPVR and found two hundred and some odd channels, exported and imported to the other two tuners.

Went to Settings->channels and tried schedules direct as EPG source and on Win7 NextPVR did request my user name and password. Entered those but it seemed to go to the bitbucket. Nothing changed. So, I tried the data.xml files I generated on win7 using xmltv.exe but it failed with an invalid xmltv file. When I made that file, schedules direct seemed to hang and I had terminated. That happened on WinXP as well. The pop-up notification said unexpected end of file so it's that.

Upshot is that I'm not getting any show data on Win7 either.

billy.johnston

Post by billy.johnston »

Okay, ran xmltv on the faster XP machine and completed the data.xml, copied it to the Win7 machine and ran NextPVR. Tried ch 4 but perhaps I wasn't doing the mapping correctly. I went to ch 729, source XMLTV, specified the new data.xml file, went to Mapping and selected Syfi and it worked for that channel. I now have a TVGUIDE listing for ch 729. In the past I had gone through the tedious exercise of going to those channels I record and manually entering what's needed. Might try Bulk Mapping.

billy.johnston

Post by billy.johnston »

Nope, looks like I'd have to do each channel. Perhaps I can now use the data.xml file on the WinXP machine. If so I can change the UpdateEPG.bat to use the xmltv instead of the mc2xml prog...

sub

Post by sub »

billy.johnston wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:18 pm Might try Bulk Mapping.
Sounds like you're using the old NextPVR v4 (which had a 'Bulk Map' feature)? You should really be using the current version, NextPVR v5.

Anyway, if you have any problems setting up NextPVR, post the question over at the NextPVR forum and we'll help you get it up and running.

For devices not being detected, with some of the old legacy HDHR devices, NextPVR needs you have this software installed:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... indows.exe