HDHomeRun Prime, Roku TV and FiOS

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
GaryDZ

HDHomeRun Prime, Roku TV and FiOS

Post by GaryDZ »

I was not able to find any threads about this--so I figured I'd ask-- a few questions.

I have an HDHomeRun Prime with a Cable Card for Fios-- it works fine.

I am getting a new TV that has Roku built into it (It is being shipped, I do not have it yet). I have never "played" with Roku, so these might be dumb questions.

1) Is there a way to access my current FiOS TV subscription (HDHomeRun Prime with a Cable Card for Fios) through my the Roku built into my TV? I am currently using Windows Media Center (Windows 7) and the HDHomeRun Prime with a Cable Card for Fios.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomeRun Prime, Roku TV and FiOS

Post by signcarver »

Possibly but compared to ota, "cable" is extremely hit or miss when it comes to the %$%^&&$#@ player roku utilizes. Anything in the stream it doesn't like it simply stops playing. DRM channels tuned by cablecard will also never be available with roku.

For full experience i would suggest using a device (pc, android tv box...) plugged into an hdmi port on the tv.

GaryDZ

Post by GaryDZ »

Thanks...

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

For Cable TV, I would specifically recommend Android TV or Xbox One for a TV-connected device, as those will handle live playback of DRM-restricted channels. Fire TV won't work with DRM, and even if Roku will work with the cable video format, it won't work with DRM channels at all.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

I have the Roku premier, not the TV (which seems more robust than the standalone box), and it will not play any channels other than the locals on FIOS with Prime tuner. Get a Android TV box.

GaryDZ

Post by GaryDZ »

I have an HTPC--- I will continue to use it. I was just checking to see if I could possibly replace it with the Roku

Thanks...