WMC--recorded shows only 5:33 long

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
adam1991

WMC--recorded shows only 5:33 long

Post by adam1991 »

I'll start here and see where this takes me. Thanks for your patience.

Long time Windows Media Center user. Currently I record OTA only. I've had a HDHR Quatro since it came out, and before that I had a couple of older two-tuner units. So I'm no stranger to SD OTA tuners or WMC. I pretty much just record a few things during primetime, off the big three networks.

A couple weeks ago I had a couple of shows that came out only 5:33 long instead of 30 minutes. Each was a CBS show, recorded back to back the same night. I went to watch the first one and saw it was truncated. Hmmm. I was literally watching the Recorded TV screen when the second show was recording and as it finished; it showed recording for the entire 30 minutes, but on disk it was only 5:33 long again. Very weird.

My disk was getting full, so I put it down to that and deleted a bunch of crap. Everything seemed to go well after that.

But last night I got one show, again CBS, same thing. Thursday night I record a bunch of stuff off CBS, for some reason.

The other week and last night, I also checked the recording history. History shows the recordings started and stopped at the right times, and lasted 30 minutes. But the files on disk were small, and lasted only the 5:33.

I thought that was weird, all of them failing the exact same way.

Anyway, tonight I took a closer look at the recording history. My memory is a little fuzzy on the situation of a couple weeks ago, but it looks as if maybe each of these weirdly failed recordings happened on the same tuner. Tuners are -0 through -3, and each of the failed recordings took place from -3.

I'm looking for a reality check here. Is it reasonable to suspect a tuner going bad given these symptoms?

10 years of WMC, and I've seen plenty of weirdness, but never this. The recording drive is only 2.5 years old, but I guess it could be failing--but that would be the absolute weirdest specific failure if it is.

Thanks for your insights. If the tuner's not suspect, I'll have to dig deeper somewhere else.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: WMC--recorded shows only 5:33 long

Post by NedS »

My first thought is maybe the power supply is going out, and when it tries to power all four tuners it falls a little short of having enough power. However, I cannot explain why this happens right at 5 minutes and 33 seconds long.

Try a stress test and load up four streams at once, and see if one of them fails while being used live. Maybe four VLC instances tuned to different channels, for example. That might help determine if the issue is with WMC or something else.

adam1991

Re: WMC--recorded shows only 5:33 long

Post by adam1991 »

NedS wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:12 am
My first thought is maybe the power supply is going out, and when it tries to power all four tuners it falls a little short of having enough power. However, I cannot explain why this happens right at 5 minutes and 33 seconds long.

Try a stress test and load up four streams at once, and see if one of them fails while being used live. Maybe four VLC instances tuned to different channels, for example. That might help determine if the issue is with WMC or something else.
Thanks. I hadn't thought about the HDHR power supply, and that makes some kind of sense in the context of multiple recordings. I agree, the 5:33 things is uber weird--but at the same time, it could be a coincidence. Or a factor of *how* the PS might be failing.

I think your stress test is the next logical step. Let's see if I can let the smoke out.