Roku: HDHomeRun OTA is silent using the Roku HD App

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
vbatech

Re: Roku: HDHomeRun OTA is silent using the Roku HD App

Post by vbatech »

I can confirm that the Roku3 does not decode the HDHomerun audio. I have the Roku3 connected through HDMI to an 11-year old Sony Bravia (dumb) TV, with an optical audio cable running from the TV to my amplifier with 5.1 surround speakers. Unlike all other Roku apps, the sound continues to come through the speakers when earphones are plugged into the remote. If the Roku was decoding the audio, the earphones would work.

fpdillon

Post by fpdillon »

NedS wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:15 pm
cmarkley720 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:40 pm
I'm having the same problem here. Saying that this product works technily with Roku is crazy no one buy a box for $100 to then go buy a brand new TV. It should work with 95% of the TVs out there or it's not going to make for happy customers. And I'm counting myself as unhappy.
We feel confident that HDHomeRun OTA works for most Roku users (for models that have Roku firmware 9 or later) without any audio or video issues. Even for TVs older than 5 years old, it's fairly rare to find one that doesn't process AC3 audio from the HDMI port.

The broadcast format in the US, ATSC 1.0 was developed in the 90s and is used by every TV broadcaster in North America. The HDHomeRun takes that 20+ year old standard and makes it available to the Roku. Roku decided to exclude AC3-audio support on some of their hardware and rely on the TV to support AC3 through HDMI (which most do). Some Roku hardware does support AC3 and has no issue (including all TVs with built-in Roku's). Some people have external audio equipment that takes care of the AC3 audio signal, meaning it doesn't matter if the TV supports it or not. For people with a Roku box and one of the specific older TVs that does not happen to support AC3-audio over HDMI, other streaming boxes are supported (that can be had for around $30 in the US).

Regardless of if the majority of Roku customers are happy or not, we want you to be happy too. So first things first, check your Roku's audio settings: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/roku#can_t_hear_audio

If you still can't hear audio, we will be happy to help you find a solution that does not require you to buy a new TV.
NedS - - - What was the solution? I am having the same problem. Bought a new Roku Ultra this week replacing an old Roku 3 but it does not support AC3 audio either and neither does my older Sharp Aquos (10 years old) and it does not seem to support AC3 decoding. So what is the answer/solution that you were teasing us with? Is there an HDMI to HDMI box that will decode AC3 that can go between the Roku and the TV? Or do you have another solution. Please let me know. It is very disturbing that between SiliconDust and Roku that there is not an easier solution. - Thank you in advance for your solution.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

fpdillon wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:04 am
NedS - - - What was the solution? I am having the same problem. Bought a new Roku Ultra this week replacing an old Roku 3 but it does not support AC3 audio either and neither does my older Sharp Aquos (10 years old) and it does not seem to support AC3 decoding. So what is the answer/solution that you were teasing us with? Is there an HDMI to HDMI box that will decode AC3 that can go between the Roku and the TV? Or do you have another solution. Please let me know. It is very disturbing that between SiliconDust and Roku that there is not an easier solution. - Thank you in advance for your solution.
If you want to use the Roku and the old TV, there is no solution. None that makes any sense, at least. This is a limitation of the Roku system. You can either replace the Roku or replace the parts that handle sound (TV or add audio equipment).