Roku: HDHomeRun OTA is silent using the Roku HD App

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
jeff@menken.org

Roku: HDHomeRun OTA is silent using the Roku HD App

Post by jeff@menken.org »

I have (2) 104EFFBE Connect and HDHomeRun Record

I bought these in early Jan in my effort to "cut the cord"

I have two RoKu players an older Roku 3 and the newest top of the line Roku Ultra.

Once I got everything configured on my HD Connect I enjoyed watching OTA TV using my Roku on two different TVs with no issues.

About a month ago I pulled up my HD app on Roku, pulled up my channel, picture was perfect but no sound. I thought is was a fluke and went to my other TV with the Roku and experienced the same thing.

After trying numerous audio configurations, with no joy, I pulled up my Roku PLEX app. Picture and sound works fine with no issues.
I know this is a work around, however I also paid for the HDHomeRun record which now no longer works with both of the Rokus I have.
If I try to pull up a recording using the HD app on Roku, I get a progress bar for a few seconds and it returns back to the menu screen. I have tried it over and over, standing on one foot, laying down, moring, night, etc. with no sound.

I'm out of ideas!

crbdrb

Re: Roku: HDHomeRun OTA is silent using the Roku HD App

Post by crbdrb »

Same here. Roku app is not passing sound. I just received my new HDHomerun today and sound works in the iOS app on the iPad. Sound also works on my PC using the HDHomerun LiveTV viewer.

I have perfect picture but no sound on any channel in the Roku app. This is the only way I plan on watching TV so this is not good for me.

I made sure the Roku is updated and I have reset the Roku a few times. No sound.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

That has always been a known possible issue on roku (roku is a very poor choice for TV content, it can be fine for internet content)... update to a modern roku and/or update your tv/soundbar as rokus generally require passthrough as well as a device that can accept ac3 audio through hdmi (most recent tv's can, though many released over 3 years ago can't as they only handle ac3 through the rf input).

crbdrb

Post by crbdrb »

Interesting. I didn’t catch that when deciding to buy the HDHomerun. It is a new 4K Roku and the 4K TV is relatively new. I would think setting the Roku to PCM stereo would address the issue. Curious now if Tablo would have this issue since that was my other option.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

1. Go to the Roku home screen
  2. Then navigate to Settings → Audio → HDMI
  3. and change the HDMI option to Dolby Digital
  4. Go back to Audio and select Audio mode
  5. and change Audio mode to (Auto (Dolby Digital))

crbdrb

Post by crbdrb »

I think I tried all possible combinations, but I will give that a shot and report back. I appreciate the input.

crbdrb

Post by crbdrb »

I changed the Roku HDMI options to Dolby Digital and the audio setting to Auto (Dolby Digital). Still no sound. So is the conclusion then that the Roku doesn’t decode and the TV also doesn’t decode?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

crbdrb wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:53 pm
I changed the Roku HDMI options to Dolby Digital and the audio setting to Auto (Dolby Digital). Still no sound. So is the conclusion then that the Roku doesn’t decode and the TV also doesn’t decode?
If it worked on the same TV in the past, then it should still be possible to get it to work again. It's hard to troubleshoot on the Roku, though. All video playback through all Roku apps are handled by the same Roku system video player.

What make and model of TVs do you have that are using Roku?

crbdrb

Post by crbdrb »

I am not the OP. This is a new HDHomerun for me and a new Roku. So this is the first time I am trying it. The TV is a 4K Panasonic AX800. The TV will output AC3/DTS through the optical, but I guess that doesn’t mean it will decode it through an HDMI port. And apparently (much to my surprise), all current Roku’s will only pass through AC3 and will not decode.

It just never occurred to me when choosing the HDHomerun because of the advertised Roku app, that I would need a 4th device to get audio for OTA. HDHomeRun>Roku>Receiver>TV. Or switch to a Nvidia Shield which is not much of an option for my situation right now. I assume the Fire Stick also does not decode. I wonder if the Apple TV decodes but i don’t think HDHomerun has an AppleTV app.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

We use our own video player on other devices and that allows us to decode the audio even if the device doesn't support AC3. That isn't an option on Roku because it's completely locked down.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

Possibly you have a defective HDMI cable. Have you tried a new cable? I ran into this exact issue last week, moving the cable apparently broke a wire internally.

cmarkley720

Post by cmarkley720 »

I'm having the same problem here. Saying that this product works technily with Roku is crazy no one buy a box for $100 to then go buy a brand new TV. It should work with 95% of the TVs out there or it's not going to make for happy customers. And I'm counting myself as unhappy.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

cmarkley720 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:40 pm
I'm having the same problem here. Saying that this product works technily with Roku is crazy no one buy a box for $100 to then go buy a brand new TV. It should work with 95% of the TVs out there or it's not going to make for happy customers. And I'm counting myself as unhappy.
We feel confident that HDHomeRun OTA works for most Roku users (for models that have Roku firmware 9 or later) without any audio or video issues. Even for TVs older than 5 years old, it's fairly rare to find one that doesn't process AC3 audio from the HDMI port.

The broadcast format in the US, ATSC 1.0 was developed in the 90s and is used by every TV broadcaster in North America. The HDHomeRun takes that 20+ year old standard and makes it available to the Roku. Roku decided to exclude AC3-audio support on some of their hardware and rely on the TV to support AC3 through HDMI (which most do). Some Roku hardware does support AC3 and has no issue (including all TVs with built-in Roku's). Some people have external audio equipment that takes care of the AC3 audio signal, meaning it doesn't matter if the TV supports it or not. For people with a Roku box and one of the specific older TVs that does not happen to support AC3-audio over HDMI, other streaming boxes are supported (that can be had for around $30 in the US).

Regardless of if the majority of Roku customers are happy or not, we want you to be happy too. So first things first, check your Roku's audio settings: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/roku#can_t_hear_audio

If you still can't hear audio, we will be happy to help you find a solution that does not require you to buy a new TV.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

No Roku devices decode AC3. So, you'd better have a TV that can accept AC3 from HDMI. Most new TVs support that but most old TVs don't.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

foxbat121 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:55 pm
No Roku devices decode AC3. So, you'd better have a TV that can accept AC3 from HDMI. Most new TVs support that but most old TVs don't.
Well, to make things even more confusing, there are some variants of the Roku Ultra that can decode AC3, except Roku makes zero indication of this anywhere on the box or model number. Everything will appear identical until the unit is set up and tested.

Plus, TV's with Roku built-in and the Roku soundbar also have AC3 decoding, as that is necessary for those models for various reasons.

That being said, for most Roku devices, people should assume that AC3 won't be decoded on the Roku box and plan accordingly.