Kodi 18.5 HDHomeRun Video Add-on issue?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Stu1961

Kodi 18.5 HDHomeRun Video Add-on issue?

Post by Stu1961 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:13 am

When I run this add-on in Kodi 18.5, it behaves, most of the time, exactly as the HDHomeRun Desktop app does.

The difference occurs when changing channels. When using the Kodi Add-on, there's the expected buffering for about 2 seconds ... and then the live TV channels show appears (both picture and sound). But then, after anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds ... the screen freeze for about five seconds. When it un-freezes, it behaves fine (until the next channel change). When I run the HDHomeRun app from my desktop (Win 10 Pro) and change channels ... there's just the 2 second buffering delay - and no 5 second freeze.

I really feel like I've overlooked something simple ....

Thanks,

~Stu

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Kodi 18.5 HDHomeRun Video Add-on issue?

Post by NedS » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:32 pm

It's probably a Kodi thing. Kodi tries to calculate if buffering is needed and can sometimes pause to buffer before it actually needs to buffer, because of a momentary dip in network speed. You might get smoother behavior by increasing Kodi's buffer settings, so that it buffers a larger chunk right at the start of the stream: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache (example 4 will work for most people)

Stu1961

Re: Kodi 18.5 HDHomeRun Video Add-on issue?

Post by Stu1961 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:12 am

... almost? :?

I tried all 4 options (4.1 through 4.4). Version 4.2 only had the 5 second pause on about half the channels being changed to, and when it did freeze - it seemed to take longer before it did (small sample size, though).

I also tried to run the desktop app through Kodi, using the Advanced Launcher Add-on, and got some really weird (to me) results. The first channel I went to returned an error: "this device does not support h264es video required to play this channel/recording". Closing the error message popup, and there's another message telling me (paraphrasing) "Play restart required". So, I just went to another channel and pressed play - and it opened and played. Going back to the previous channel which got the error - and it played fine too. No freezing either. Exiting HDHomerun (but not exiting Kodi) allowed it to re-open without the error message and work without freezing. However, If I exit Kodi, and then went back into HDH ... I get the same "h264es" error again. Is it Kodi or HDH getting confused? I, obviously, have the proper codecs installed, so I have no clue why I'm getting those messages - and only when HDHomerun is run through Kodi's Advanced Launcher. Frankly, I wouldn't even care if I could get the original issue with the Kodi-Addon resolved.

~Stu