HDHomerun F/W 20200225 - No free adapter in TVHeadend

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
andreab

Re: HDHomerun F/W 20200225 - No free adapter in TVHeadend

Post by andreab »

Thanks Silicondust for the effort here.
I hope you understand the value of us as a community.

Some people will be interested in your monthly subscription, while some others (possibly most of us in this thread) only buy these neat little devices and use TVHeadEnd (or similar) instead, as a better fit in our OpenSource ecosystem.

I don't know the size of your development team but obviously the best way forward would be to have some automated testing against some alternative clients (eg TVHeadEnd :-P ), ready to run against each new firmware before their release.

Anyway, thanks again for your support here.

Andrea

gregeeh

Post by gregeeh »

NedS wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:19 pm
We should have a beta firmware available soon. Things are just stretched a bit thin at the moment, but I will get out my poking stick and poke the developers. A lot.
Any idea when the TvH fix will be available as presently my HDHR is just a brick. :(

gregeeh

Post by gregeeh »

Come on SD, surely you must have some idea when a fix will be available?

Are we talking days, weeks, months, years?

jeb330

Post by jeb330 »

This problem is also my problem. Miss using my device, please return it to how it was.

gregeeh

Post by gregeeh »

jeb330 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm
This problem is also my problem. Miss using my device, please return it to how it was.
I just think SD does not care about their customers, as if they did we would get replies and time-frames. And we don't!!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

gregeeh wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:59 pm
jeb330 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm
I just think SD does not care about their customers, as if they did we would get replies and time-frames. And we don't!!
We have a version of the firmware that restores the old behavior, but we are waiting for some additional fixes and testing the over-all update. In the meantime, people have already posted a way to work around this problem and get normal Tvheadend functionality. And if you really want to get technical, using the normal tvh hdhomerun "driver" is the worst way to set up Tvheadend with an HDHomeRun. If you set it up as an IPTV source, it will use newer protocols that are far less likely to have dropouts or issues, and will automatically go to the first available tuner instead of being manually mapped to tuners.

All of this is something we've said before, so all you are doing is asking us is to repeat ourselves with information we've already provided.

gregeeh

Post by gregeeh »

In the meantime, people have already posted a way to work around this problem and get normal Tvheadend functionality.
And if you had bothered to read this thread you would know that the work around has not worked for me and only partially for others.
If you set it up as an IPTV source
Yes, I could do this but I'm then left with no EPG. And I could use XML EPG if it was available for my area which it is not. Even if XML EPG was available, I'm in a fringe area and would need 2-3 EPG's and they would need to be merged somehow. So with no EPG it makes it difficult to watch FTA and impossible to record as the timer functions use the title and descriptions in the EPG.

So the bottom line is, my HDHR is just a brick until SD release a fix. Speaking of fix, why not let people roll back to a previous firmware version, it would get people up and going and give you more time for that fix?

KevinPeters

Post by KevinPeters »

Came here to report that the suggested Modulation=Auto wasn't working for 3 of my muxes, only to find that it seems a new firmware was released in the last day or so. Now the original behaviour has been restored (i.e. it is working fine)

Im intrigued about this IPTV set up though, will try that at a later date!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We think this should restore the original behavior and set everything right again. Please let us know if there are any other issues with Tvheadend.