2+ Devices Access One HD HomeRun

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
aquaholic

2+ Devices Access One HD HomeRun

Post by aquaholic » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone could tell me - is it possible to use ONE HD HomeRun device with multiple products/devices?

For example, I have an HD HomeRun Connect with 2 OTA tuners.

I have Emby installed and working with the device.

I also have a Windows Media Center PC running Windows 7. Can I connect the Windows Media Center AS WELL to the HD HomeRun Connect? I'd think / expect if this works, it would "occupy" a tuner and a request from another device would merely fail. (for example, if emby were recording two programs and I tried to watch TV with Media Center it would say no tuner available (or something like that)).

Is this how it works/can work? Or once a product (Emby, Windows Media Center) "claims" a tuner, it's exclusively for use with that software?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: 2+ Devices Access One HD HomeRun

Post by signcarver » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 am

Yes it (usually) works that way.. the problem is that (at least some of) the software you mentioned typically doesn't understand that a tuner/device can be used that way and expects it has exclusive access. For instance typically wmc will try a specific tuner and for live, if it doesn't tune may not try the additional tuner but for recording typically makes sure to try all tuners.

I forget the current state of emby if it properly releases tuners and/or even locks them (at one time i don't think it did but I believe most of that is fixed now).

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:28 pm

WMC shouldn't be an issue since the HDHomeRun's driver will transparently substitute a different tuner if the one WMC wants is in use. The issue you're referring to only happens with PRIME, and it happens because it doesn't go through our driver system but rather talks directly to the tuner, and DRM interferes with just substituting a different tuner than the one it wants.

I haven't used Emby so I don't know what it will do.

aquaholic

Post by aquaholic » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Great, thanks folks. I do also have 2 HD HomeRun Primes assigned to a different media center and since that's my "main" device, I wasn't going to play with them... but the OTA stuff I don't mind chancing.

I have a related question, but I'll ask that separately if I don't quickly find a similar one.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 am

aquaholic wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:30 pm
Great, thanks folks. I do also have 2 HD HomeRun Primes assigned to a different media center and since that's my "main" device, I wasn't going to play with them... but the OTA stuff I don't mind chancing.

I have a related question, but I'll ask that separately if I don't quickly find a similar one.
Emby handles tuner sharing no problem at all.