Windows 7 WMC HDHR3-US

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
ceebee72

Windows 7 WMC HDHR3-US

Post by ceebee72 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:50 pm

I have a HDHR3-US which I bought about 7 years ago. It was a big task setting it up to run on Windows Media Center and Kodi. I have forgotten most of the things I had to do to make it work. At the time it was worth the effort to have a way to record OTA without any additional fees.
When I heard that support for the program guide on WMC was ending, I tried to upgrade to Windows 10, the latest version of Kodi, and NextPVR as a replacement for the backend on Kodi, but the multichannel audio was not working right and I stopped trying. Hours of time wasted.
I gather that I cannot use HD Homerun's DVR engine to record with the device I currently own, but why, I don't know. I don't need to make recordings on a NAS or anything. My media PC is hard wired with ethernet, and never gets turned off.
I have the latest firmware for my device, 20170930, and the latest software, 20190621. Why, after all this time, shouldn't I be able to use Silicon Dust's own software to record from my device? My 7 year old Vizio TV gets almost 3 days of program data from the metatdata in the ATSC stream. Why does everybody want to charge for a subscription? I get that some people might want a longer timeframe of program data, but 2-3 days is plenty for me.

I have come to the realization that Windows 10 is horrible. If I get a new box it will be Android for sure. I am considering getting a Homerun Connect Duo, but frankly, I am sick of all the configuration I will have to do to make one work, considering what I went through with the one I have now. I may just limp along and manually set record timers in Kodi. At least it will work, and won't cost me anything.

Any suggestions for me to get free program guide data into Kodi with what I have now? Any other suggestions are welcome also.

Thanks in advance.

CB

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: Windows 7 WMC HDHR3-US

Post by ebo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:18 pm

If you're dead set against paying anything for a guide service, you could try HDHR-VCR. You can program it like a VCR, setting channel, start time and end time or duration. Better yet, you can use it with TitanTV, a free online guide service that offers a record button for each show. That sends the necessary info to HDHR-VCR to set up the recording. The whole operation is separate from Kodi, which you can still use to play the resulting recordings.

I haven't used NextPVR and don't know how it integrates with Kodi, but if you have an audio problem when playing a file it's probably something wrong with Kodi's audio setup. For example, if Kodi is set to pass through Dolby (AC-3) audio and your audio system isn't able to decode it, you won't get audio.

ceebee72

Post by ceebee72 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:16 am

ebo,
Thanks for the suggestions. I have never tried HDHR-VCR, I like that it records the original ts, with no wrapper or transcoding.

sub

Post by sub » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:11 pm

ebo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:18 pm
I haven't used NextPVR and don't know how it integrates with Kodi, but if you have an audio problem when playing a file it's probably something wrong with Kodi's audio setup. For example, if Kodi is set to pass through Dolby (AC-3) audio and your audio system isn't able to decode it, you won't get audio.
ceebee72 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I have never tried HDHR-VCR, I like that it records the original ts, with no wrapper or transcoding.
ebo is correctt - it'll something to do with the Kodi settings. NextPVR is just passing the original ts stream to Kodi. It's not transcoding or wrapping it. The NextPVR addon isn't doing the playback itself - it's just passing the stream to Kodi, which takes care of that stuff.