Live TV on HDHomeRun Roku App stopped working

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
dramunda

Live TV on HDHomeRun Roku App stopped working

Post by dramunda » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:46 am

I have an HD HomeRun Duo Hardware Model HDHR5-2US Firmware Version 20190815beta1 Device ID 1060DC82. Roku is model 4200X. Everything was working fine until a couple of days ago - I don't believe anything has changed on the Roku. When I use the HD HomeRun app on Roku, it will tune a channel (live over the air) for a few seconds, buffer for a few seconds, and then after buffering the picture and sound are jumpy and highly pixelated. It does not matter what channel I tune to.

I have reset the HD HomeRun and rescanned all channels, deleted the HD HomeRun app on the Roku, rebooted, and reinstalled the HD HomeRun app on the Roku. Same results. The same issue is happening in the Plex App on the Roku as well.

However, the HD HomeRun viewer on my Mac works fine, I can watch through Plex on my Mac. HD HomeRun App and Plex also work on my Windows 10 box. So it seems the Duo itself is ok and tuning, and network is ok (streams perfectly on Mac and PC, and all viewers are on ethernet).

I'm out of ideas.

JDazell

Re: Live TV on HDHomeRun Roku App stopped working

Post by JDazell » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:20 pm

I have run into a similar situation with a RokuTV, the Wi-Fi router was failing and the signal strength had dropped to the threshold where the picture would pixilate and freeze up. After replacing the WiFi the issue was resolved.

dramunda

Post by dramunda » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:01 pm

JDazell wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:20 pm
I have run into a similar situation with a RokuTV, the Wi-Fi router was failing and the signal strength had dropped to the threshold where the picture would pixilate and freeze up. After replacing the WiFi the issue was resolved.
Thanks. Roku is plugged into Ethernet, and Amazon and Netflix work fine on the Roku, so network should be ok.

JDazell

Post by JDazell » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:58 pm

I would suggest that there is some component or device failing in your network and causing issues. Live TV is so much more demanding on a CLEAN network connection. Than any of the Internet streaming, those are all compressed and designed to be streamed. You will want to check and or swap out each component one piece at a time.