AndroidTV Live Channels app wont show Network TV Tuner as source

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
CenterInYou

AndroidTV Live Channels app wont show Network TV Tuner as source

Post by CenterInYou »

Hello,

I've been struggling for a while to get the "Network TV Tuner BETA" to show up in my source list in the Live Channels app. Does anyone have any tips for getting it to show up? I can play everything fine through the HDHomeRun source with in the Live Channels app but not get the Tuner option to show up.

I saw someone suggesting : Uninstall updates to the live channels app, then update it again. Clear cache and data in the app. Reboot the shield. This as well as m making sure that the wasn't any internal storage.

I've tried many combinations of this will no luck. Is there anything network-wise that could be blocking this?

Tuner: HDHomeRun : (HDHR4-2US)
Tuner Firmware: 20190715beta1
AndroidTV: NVIDIA Shield TV (2017)
Live Channels app version: 1.23.1(live_channels_20191030.00_RC03)

cncb

Re: AndroidTV Live Channels app wont show Network TV Tuner as source

Post by cncb »

You are not seeing it at all in the Settings, Channels source list? There is a small delay before it shows up for me.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

If I recall correctly, there's some bug with Live Channels where the "Network tuner" source does't always show, but it's a bug that Google has to fix. Our own HDHomeRun source for Live Channels does work.

rickhuizinga

Post by rickhuizinga »

NedS wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:01 am
If I recall correctly, there's some bug with Live Channels where the "Network tuner" source does't always show, but it's a bug that Google has to fix. Our own HDHomeRun source for Live Channels does work.
Any chance that your own HDHomeRun source for Live Channels could enable the DVR flag to Live Channels if the user is subscribed to SiliconDust's DVR service? I don't mind paying for the DVR service, but prefer the Live Channels interface over the HDHomeRun app on AndroidTV. It would be great if channels for the HDHomeRun source would allow Live Channels to record them. I assume this is currently disabled to encourage users to subscribe to Silicon Dust's DVR service.

This would be extremely helpful because Google's Network Tuner is pretty buggy for a handful of people: https://support.google.com/googleplay/t ... 7458?hl=en

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

We've looked into it previously. From what I remember, there were some issues with both the guide and how recordings are scheduled that made it infeasible to support the DVR in Live Channels.

jasondeanny

Post by jasondeanny »

rickhuizinga wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:26 pm
NedS wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:01 am
Any chance that your own HDHomeRun source for Live Channels could enable the DVR flag to Live Channels if the user is subscribed to SiliconDust's DVR service? I don't mind paying for the DVR service, but prefer the Live Channels interface over the HDHomeRun app on AndroidTV. It would be great if channels for the HDHomeRun source would allow Live Channels to record them. I assume this is currently disabled to encourage users to subscribe to Silicon Dust's DVR service.

This would be extremely helpful because Google's Network Tuner is pretty buggy for a handful of people: https://support.google.com/googleplay/t ... 7458?hl=en
I guess they never answered this question. I agree... I prefer an old-style guide and would love to use the AndroidTV interface. I have a Shield and a MiBox. I can record using WMC with the HDHR-CC3. Is it a limitation on the AndroidTV boxes?

Will the upcoming HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0 also not permit recording?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

What are you asking as the question was answered in the next post. From live channels there is not a way to set such recordings with SD's dvr as the live channels guide doesn't have what is needed to do so.

If all you are looking for is grid guide use the unofficial kodi pvr (utilizes sd's dvr which requires subscription) but that doesn't support drm and drm can only be recorded (currently) with wmc however such channels can be watched live through the hdhomerun app or live channels when using such input (rather than network tuner)

jasondeanny

Post by jasondeanny »

Sorry signcarver... was looking for a more "official" response from SD (in the way NedS responds to many questions) but I'll defer to the "expert" in the forum. It was also a question for the upcoming product (which wasn't answered).

And while I appreciate your response, having recording capabilities to only the non-drm isn't really helpful.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

At the time of that post, jasonl was "the voice" for sd here and had been for far longer then Ned or Nate have been around. He just recently left the company mid March.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We've looked into it previously. From what Jason remembers, there were some issues with both the guide and how recordings are scheduled that made it infeasible to support the DVR in Live Channels.

replayreb

Post by replayreb »

I know this is off topic but in case anyone is having problems with glitching or stuttering on Live Channels with certain channels please read this: viewtopic.php?f=116&t=73360&p=357706#p357706

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I do recall someone had implemented a Live Channels input that would work with any IPTV source, and supported recording (I think). I will try to see if I can hunt that down, because that should be able to work. Might even be able to use the XMLTV guide data from the HDHomeRun DVR service (or other XMLTV source), but have Live Channels actually handle the recording.