Windows 10 - HD homerun software, Kodi, or ?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
ctviggen

Windows 10 - HD homerun software, Kodi, or ?

Post by ctviggen » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:35 am

I am about to upgrade the TV/HT computer we use to watch TV from WMC and Windows 7 to Windows 10. I find there are too many choices as to how to do this.

For instance, do I use the HD Homerun Software or Kodi? (We use Kodi now for other purposes, not TV.)

Are there other programs to consider?

In more detail, here's my system. We have one TV and one computer that runs WMC + Windows 7. I have one 3-tuner HD homerun prime. I use the WMC computer to record shows, then copy these to an unraid server with a lot of terabytes. I have a ton of copy protected movies from HBO. I realize I cannot record copy-protected shows, so we're going to get rid of HBO. (All other channels are not copy protected.) I would, however, like to view these movies.

As a further complication, we have an in law apartment where my mother lives. She has two cable boxes, which cost us about $20/month. I'd love to buy an Amazon fire stick or a box or something to get rid of those boxes. I likely cannot do this until I get the ability to add more tuners, so not until the 6-tuner devices comes out. I would, however, let to know that my choice of what I put on our TV/HT computer will not affect what we can do later to get rid of the cable boxes.

Thank you.

rpcameron

Re: Windows 10 - HD homerun software, Kodi, or ?

Post by rpcameron » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:53 am

If you are already using Kodi as a frontend, then you may want to consider migrating your DVR functions to software that has good support for not only HDHR tuners, but also a decent PVR client for Kodi.

I personally used Tvheadend, and found it more than sufficient. (Its main issue is its difficulty in initial setup.) MythTV also works well. Since it sounds like you're staying with Windows, though, you may want to look at NextPVR.

There is also a Kodi add-on that works with SD's own DVR, but I have no experience with it to know how well it works.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:12 am

I also used Tvheadend for years as my DVR solution, also used DVBLink for a couple of years. Probably others that I forgot about.
Emby DVR is now my favorite. I have recordings scattered all over my network on my NAS's, external HHD's, and that is where Emby shines........ If I want to record something using Emby, it has a option to NOT record existing episodes. For instance, I have episodes of "Have Gun Will Travel" scattered all over my network on different hard drives, and recorded from different DVR servers, Emby DVR will scan those episodes and will not duplicate.

When it records, it creates a folder with the "shows" name, and creates sub folders with the season. It names the episode perfectly >> "Have Gun -- Will Travel S01E39 The Statue of San Sebastian".

sub

Post by sub » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:15 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:53 am
I personally used Tvheadend, and found it more than sufficient. (Its main issue is its difficulty in initial setup.) MythTV also works well. Since it sounds like you're staying with Windows, though, you may want to look at NextPVR.
Yep, NextPVR is a good choice on Windows. (That said, NextPVR is multiple platform these days, so is good for use on more than just Windows)

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:19 am

I started looking into Next PVR. It looks good. Now, I just need to take out our Christmas tree, behind which is my HT computer, so I can upgrade the computer to Windows 10. Might not be until next weekend.

Do I use Kodi + Next PVR?

I also have an unraid machine. Could I put Next PVR there? (A search showed this is possible, but they weren't using HD Homerun Prime tuners.)

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:34 pm

A quick update. My last machine was a Windows 7 computer that came with a Windows 10 disk. After trying to upgrade to Windows 10, the computer did not seem to want to boot. I'm not sure why.

I had previously purchased a case, power supply, and fanless video card. (The computer that died had a video card with a fan...that sounded like a jet engine. Sadly, the motherboard did not fit into the case.) So, I bought new hardware. Will report back once I get things up and running.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:55 pm

sub wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:15 pm
rpcameron wrote:
Yep, NextPVR is a good choice on Windows. (That said, NextPVR is multiple platform these days, so is good for use on more than just Windows)
Does NextPVR have a full Android Client ?

sub

Post by sub » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:19 am

EddieP wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:55 pm
sub wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:15 pm
rpcameron wrote:
Does NextPVR have a full Android Client ?
It has AN android client, but I wouldn't describe it as full at this stage. You can use other Android clients with it though, like Kodi. I will be improving our android client in the future when I find some more time. (I'm a one man development project, and focusing on other aspects of the project at the moment)

The backend recording service does not run on Android though. That needs to be running on Windows/Linux/Mac/Docker machine somewhere on your network.