Opinions wanted on best cord cutting option

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Beerman

Opinions wanted on best cord cutting option

Post by Beerman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:05 pm

I've just about had it with Cox. They agreed to hold my price for another year and a month later, reneged on it. I threaten to cancel and they don't care. I'm ok with a small increase but 27%? I don't even want a home phone but when I tried cancelling that, the bill went up even higher. So, come early next year, there's at least a 50% chance I'm cutting cable. I've invested a good deal over the years on cable card equipment and though so far, (could change very soon) none of my channels are 'DRM'd' but it also doesn't appear Silicon is any closer to what many have been waiting for.

Most of the brand name streaming packages have the channels I would like. None have all of them but I'm sure I can learn to live without some or get them other ways. So, tell me what service you have and why you like it. Price is certainly important but not at the level where I want to say goodbye to too many of the channels that are watched at my place.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Re: Opinions wanted on best cord cutting option

Post by clarkss12 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Depends on what your media consumption consist of.......... and your location in reference to location for OTA reception.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:11 pm

Beerman wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:05 pm
I've just about had it with Cox. They agreed to hold my price for another year and a month later, reneged on it. I threaten to cancel and they don't care. I'm ok with a small increase but 27%? I don't even want a home phone but when I tried cancelling that, the bill went up even higher. So, come early next year, there's at least a 50% chance I'm cutting cable. I've invested a good deal over the years on cable card equipment and though so far, (could change very soon) none of my channels are 'DRM'd' but it also doesn't appear Silicon is any closer to what many have been waiting for.

Most of the brand name streaming packages have the channels I would like. None have all of them but I'm sure I can learn to live without some or get them other ways. So, tell me what service you have and why you like it. Price is certainly important but not at the level where I want to say goodbye to too many of the channels that are watched at my place.
HDHomeRun Qautro for OTA
Philo $20 a month ...
Channels DVR $8 Dollars a month or $80 dollars a year so you can record most channels provided by Philo and all channels available on HDHR Quatro.

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:19 am

Well for a client device you might consider the nvidia shield tv. It has a very diverse set of available providers and is updated once or twice a year for additions it seems. Two new models but the new pro would be my choice [have two similar]. My oldest has had four OS updates and expect to have a few more. The new Pro has a stronger cpu [not that the old one was slow]. Besides the include apps that Nvidia publishes -

NVIDIA Games
Netflix
YouTube
Amazon Prime Video
Google Play Movies & TV
Vudu
Amazon Music
Google Play Store
Google Play Music
PLEX Media Server
Google Play Games
NVIDIA Share (Game capture and broadcast)

you can also download from Playstore [the #3 channel provider I can not print its name here] , Disney +, Pluto and more similar providers and many individual channels and channel packages.

If over the air is possible then any of the new ones SD has is pretty much a winner thought the transcoder model will not be need once the broadcasters finish rolling out 4K [which Sinclair should be starting in the Eugene OR area now - ground zero]. 4K will provide a better [more enveloping] signal within the same range. It also should bring new channels to areas. But we may need a new tuner and it may need some internet activity for activation of those channels. Major markets should have 4K by next year this time along with most secondary markets and it should be done in 4 years. In the test markets all participants were provided with stb's for access. If any of the existing client stb's used today can be adapted this would be the one.