Firestick 4k Live Channels

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
DroidTV

Firestick 4k Live Channels

Post by DroidTV » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:45 am

I have a firestick 4k that I have loaded the google live channels app onto and am using the official hdhomerun app as a channel source. The channels load fine and play within the live channels app, but the guide remains empty. I have tried version 1.22 and 1.23 of the live channels app but cannot get any epg data to load. Has anyone else with a similar setup found how to get this working?

EddieP

Re: Firestick 4k Live Channels

Post by EddieP » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:36 am

DroidTV wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:45 am
I have a firestick 4k that I have loaded the google live channels app onto and am using the official hdhomerun app as a channel source. The channels load fine and play within the live channels app, but the guide remains empty. I have tried version 1.22 and 1.23 of the live channels app but cannot get any epg data to load. Has anyone else with a similar setup found how to get this working?
I did not know that the Firestick 4K has access to Live Channels ...

DroidTV

Post by DroidTV » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:56 am

EddieP wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:36 am
DroidTV wrote:
It’s not directly available from the Amazon App Store, but the apk can be sideloaded. Like I said initially, it works but will not display any guide data.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:03 pm

DroidTV wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:56 am
EddieP wrote:
DroidTV wrote:
It’s not directly available from the Amazon App Store, but the apk can be sideloaded. Like I said initially, it works but will not display any guide data.
So it is not officially supported that may explain why you have no guide data.

DroidTV

Post by DroidTV » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:44 pm

EddieP wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:03 pm
DroidTV wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:56 am
EddieP wrote:

So it is not officially supported that may explain why you have no guide data.
This could be true, but if that’s the case how is it functioning at all? When using the hdhomerun app as a channel source it pulls all of the channel numbers and channel names correctly. I can even go into the live channels settings and customize the channel list just the same as on the Shield and Mibox.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:59 pm

IIRC, guide info for Live Channels comes from Google, not the sources. Therefore, you are probably missing some library or supplementary APK from AndroidTV required to make Live Channels fully work.

DroidTV

Post by DroidTV » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:28 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:59 pm
IIRC, guide info for Live Channels comes from Google, not the sources. Therefore, you are probably missing some library or supplementary APK from AndroidTV required to make Live Channels fully work.
I believe what you are referring to applies only if network tuner is selected as the channel source. When the hdhomerun app is selected it should pull the guide data from the hdhomerun device which is why it’s generally only 4 hours of guide available instead of several days being available when network tuner beta is selected.

Also, just to clarify, network tuner (beta) is not an available option for tv sources which I also believe is due to some missing supplementary apk.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:17 pm

DroidTV wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:28 pm
rpcameron wrote:
I believe what you are referring to applies only if network tuner is selected as the channel source. When the hdhomerun app is selected it should pull the guide data from the hdhomerun device which is why it’s generally only 4 hours of guide available instead of several days being available when network tuner beta is selected.

Also, just to clarify, network tuner (beta) is not an available option for tv sources which I also believe is due to some missing supplementary apk.
I cannot even get Live Channels to work on my shield keeps saying WFI not connected even though I am using Ethernet.

DroidTV

Post by DroidTV » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:47 pm

EddieP wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:17 pm
DroidTV wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:28 pm
rpcameron wrote:

I cannot even get Live Channels to work on my shield keeps saying WFI not connected even though I am using Ethernet.
I initially had this problem on a Sony AndroidTV and found it was given an ipv6 address by my router. I changed it to an ipv4 address and everything worked perfectly.

DroidTV

Post by DroidTV » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:19 am

Through trial and error I have discovered that Live Channels v1.19 does include the network tuner beta. When using this version and network tuner beta is selected as a channel source the guide data is downloaded and populated from google just like on real AndroidTV devices. Although this solves the problem of empty/missing epg, it doesn’t do so without introducing other issues.

One downside to using the network tuner beta, at least on the firestick 4k, is slow channel load time. When using the hdhomerun app as a channel source, the channels start and change very quickly. It is much slower when using the network tuner.

Another downside to using the network tuner beta as a channel source is the audio intermittently stop working when changing channels. The sound will not resume until the app is closed and reopened. My best guess for this may be some compatibility conflict with the network tuner using android’s exoplayer. Whereas the hdhomerun app is likely using amazon’s port of exoplayer. Please feel free to correct me if my assumptions are wrong.