Kodi shows HDHomeRun as a UPNP source but official plugin can't find it

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
terminus

Kodi shows HDHomeRun as a UPNP source but official plugin can't find it

Post by terminus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:48 am

I have a HDHomeRun on my network and I can access it via its web interface. I can also detect channels using the Linux tools on a computer on the same network. It is also detected by Kodi as a UPNP source. But when I run the official HDHomeRun Kodi plugin, the device is not detected with an error "no channels found on any device".

Could it be an issue that Kodi is on a wireless segment of my home network and the HDHomeRun is on a wired segment of the network? They both share a common address space but do I maybe need to bridge them somehow? There is no firewall separating them, so for normal network traffic this isn't an issue.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Kodi shows HDHomeRun as a UPNP source but official plugin can't find it

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:14 am

The Kodi plugin discovers the HDHomeRun using broadcast traffic, while UPnP uses multicast. Most networks treat these the same and just forward the traffic to all devices. If your AP is not, that would account for the difference. Another potential issue would be using a static IP and having the wrong subnet mask set on the network interface. Any mismatch, no matter how small, would prevent the device from being found