windows 8 1 media center pack NEEDED

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
fractaler

windows 8 1 media center pack NEEDED

Post by fractaler » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:46 pm

I have windows 8.1 with media center pack key installed. All worked ok until drive died. I have reinstalled windows 8 1 pro and with my key it activates perfectly. However, when I upgrade to media center, the windows 8.1 activation disappears and is not activated anymore and media center works (all but dmr.

iF ANYONE HAS A WINDOWS 8.1 PRO MEDIA CENTER KEY FOR SALE, LET ME KNOW!!! PLEASE.

TYVM

speedingcheetah

Re: windows 8 1 media center pack NEEDED

Post by speedingcheetah » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:26 pm

fractaler wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:46 pm
I have windows 8.1 with media center pack key installed. All worked ok until drive died. I have reinstalled windows 8 1 pro and with my key it activates perfectly. However, when I upgrade to media center, the windows 8.1 activation disappears and is not activated anymore and media center works (all but dmr.

iF ANYONE HAS A WINDOWS 8.1 PRO MEDIA CENTER KEY FOR SALE, LET ME KNOW!!! PLEASE.

TYVM
I used to use that(for the brief time i could stand using Win 8.1)....but MS killed it off at some point...some update killed it off deactivated Media Center...and no longer allows activation. DRM support all was removed. It was thanks to that BS that made me seek out other DVR solutions, Embyu or Plex...far better than WMC. Also, i read on some fourms, that the Guide serer are gone, no way to setup the Guide etc with some sort of hack....

U are better off looking elsewhere, like use the HDHR software or PLex, Emby.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:26 pm

You might be better off running Win 7 for WMC. If you really want to use Win 8 then you could also try installing WMC v12 or something similar on Win 8 because they pulled WMC for Win 10 from Win 8

fractaler

Post by fractaler » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:35 pm

;-0(( WMC is dead in win10. Since MS is stopping updates for Win7, I wanted to use win 8.1 with WMC. I hope someone has 'pgraded' to win 10, and I can purchase their licence for win m8.1 media center pack key. thx for idea tho

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:48 pm

Last I looked, those that beat you to the idea have acquired all the available W8.1 media center pack licenses from the usual online resellers that still had a small number available when Microsoft stopped selling them (I even recall seeing a small peak in price above retail as the supply approached zero (economics works)). You might try going to some smaller, independent, computer stores in your area that may have one or two packs in the back cabinet that they never sold to their B&M customers. But it will likely be a slow process through the small industrial parts of your town where those independent stores might still exist (they are a dying breed).

Be aware that Microsoft has stated they will be ending free guide data service in Jan 2020. There are alternatives to feed WMC, but there will be a yearly cost for the guide data.

Karter

Post by Karter » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:28 am

Did your machine come with 8.1Pro with media center?
is it a self assembled or a store ACER, ASUS, Dell?

if the answer to those is true, you should be able to acquire restore disks from manufacturer to reinstall

if not contact Microsoft support and they should be able to assist