why was my post removed?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
SpencerC

why was my post removed?

Post by SpencerC » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:19 pm

This was a post from a while ago and had enough detailed information to get a Win7 VM running WMC with a Prime 3 to work on a Win10 PC for someone that may need it. viewtopic.php?f=116&t=69681

rpcameron

Re: why was my post removed?

Post by rpcameron » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 pm

Posts that have not been commented on in a certain period of time are purged. I believe it's a 90 day period, but it may be different.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:53 pm

How old was the post? Older posts are automatically pruned by the forum. We try to keep an eye out for useful posts and community guides to mark them so that they don't get pruned, but it's possible we missed it.

Karter

Post by Karter » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:55 am

NedS wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:53 pm
How old was the post? Older posts are automatically pruned by the forum. We try to keep an eye out for useful posts and community guides to mark them so that they don't get pruned, but it's possible we missed it.
Auto purge is a horrible policy, especially in forums such as these. SD's reasoning is beyond me at times. I might understand after a 5 or 10 year period, but 90 days??

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Karter wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:55 am
NedS wrote:
Auto purge is a horrible policy, especially in forums such as these. SD's reasoning is beyond me at times. I might understand after a 5 or 10 year period, but 90 days??
I'm not sure what the backstory is on it (there might be some reason that makes a lot of sense, but I honestly don't know as that was in place long before I worked here), but I can ask the bosses if maybe we can extend the time before purging. Or at the very least, we can make a better effort to save good and informative posts.

StraightThruTheHeart

Post by StraightThruTheHeart » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:47 pm

I think it's so SD can't be held to any of their promises.

:lol:

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88

Post by Mediaman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:00 pm

The general opinion from SD in the past was that posts here tend to be one off solutions for an issue or broader client issues which tend to get internal software fixes making the post irrelevant in the future and potentially confusing. General knowledge to long standing items have gotten turned into FAQ's or sticky threads at the beginning of the forum section typically. I am beginning to wonder more about the "tips an tricks" sticky at the beginning of this section of the forum. At some point the information becomes dated. Is that date in January when MS drops official support to Home version of W7 and the users of other versions that do not pay an additional fee for security updates? How many links in that thread are still working now and 6 months from now? I have copied threads from the beginning of the Prime, most of them irrelevant now.

Currently here if users here do not give the thread a bump with a this was helpful comment to it then it fades. Possibly a helpful button ["helped with my issue"] could be added to forum threads and clicking on that would add time to a threads life and possibly reveal the depth of the issue.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:34 am

Likely a good idea is to note somewhere that a tip or trick should be preserved in the wiki, which is updated on a daily basis and does not get pruned. https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/

JamieRI

Post by JamieRI » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Karter wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:55 am
NedS wrote:
Yikes 90 Days is very short. Long standing, unresolved issues or undocumented tweaks can last a year or two. Sometimes there is a nugget of a clue that an old post exposed. Yes, posts can become obsolete and then even be harmful if someone wastes time on something long fixed. I wish those could simply be flagged as obsolete or flawed by forum users.

Are you low on disk space? Has this very short expiration really solved a problem?