Is there a HDHomeRun version of msdri.dll for Prime Tuners?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
shspvr

Re: Is there a HDHomeRun version of msdri.dll for Prime Tuners?

Post by shspvr » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:20 am

jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:34 pm
Have you tried the Unregister button? That might work to remove them. They're added by Windows, not by the HDHomeRun software, so I don't know if there even is a recommended way to remove them.

The HDHomeRun Service just updates a WMC registry key that tracks the last known IP of the device and occasionally runs OCURDiscovery, because otherwise WMC will randomly lose track of the tuners. It wouldn't affect programs other than WMC.
So another word your saying that it hardcode

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:54 am

jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:21 pm
Your assumption is wrong. BDA drivers are for tuning ATSC/clear QAM/DVB-T/DVB-C channels, where the application is responsible for maintaining tuning information for channels. CableCARD channels don't work that way; the HDHomeRun device (and tuning adapter, if present) are responsible for the tuning information, and the application just requests the virtual channel number it wants. Virtual channel tuning is not available via BDA. Your options for tuning CableCARD channels are either HTTP (recommended), using libhdhomerun to tune by vchannel and stream using UDP/RTP (second best option), or writing your own DRI interface (not recommended, DRI is ridiculously complex).
So which is FASTEST?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:47 am

There is no practical difference in timing between them.

softworkz

Post by softworkz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm

Hi,

I'm softworkz from Emby and I'd like to apologize for the confusion in this topic that went totally off-track - starting with the title and....

Originally I had sent @Sammy2 over here for asking a single question that we couldn't figure out:

How to fully uninstall a dri based tuner device (= HDHR Prime in this case) on Windows?
(including removal from the list of BDA Tuner Sources)

It is correct that there is a generic MS driver handling your tuner, but SiliconDust is the device manufacturer implementing the DRI specification and advertising the device as compatible with Windows. Simply pointing at Microsoft...that's easy of course.

I'm sure that at least one of your developers knows the answer to that question. It would be awesome if you could find out...

Please disregard all the other talk as it's pointless.

softworkz

PS: @jasonl - No offence, but your suggestion here:
jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:34 pm
Have you tried the Unregister button? That might work to remove them.
is very very wrong!

Clicking 'Unregister' in GraphStudio will not unregister a single device. Instead it would completely unregister the implementation (COM-dll) with the consequence that no DRI tuner would ever work again (unless Windows prevents the unregistration).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 pm

We don't have an answer to that. Our DRI implementation is contained completely within the device. What Microsoft's driver does from there is as much of a black box to us as it is to you.

softworkz

Post by softworkz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:46 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 pm
We don't have an answer to that. Our DRI implementation is contained completely within the device. What Microsoft's driver does from there is as much of a black box to us as it is to you.
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yet I suppose that you have tested this with Windows as there are probably not a lot of other DRI client implementations.
Maybe you could at least say - from your experience - whether this is a common behavior that DRI devices that had been connected once will stay forever, or whether it's just a singular issue specific to that customer?

I'm asking because I need to decide whether we would need to research this any further, which would not be required in the latter case.
Thanks again,

softworkz

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:23 pm

From what I've seen, the MSDRI instances stay forever. Some of my test machines have dozens of them listed from the various devices I've had hooked up over the years.

softworkz

Post by softworkz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:22 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:23 pm
From what I've seen, the MSDRI instances stay forever. Some of my test machines have dozens of them listed from the various devices I've had hooked up over the years.
Ah alright, I see. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Thank you very much for your assistance!

softworkz