Is there a HDHomeRun version of msdri.dll for Prime Tuners?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Sammy2

Is there a HDHomeRun version of msdri.dll for Prime Tuners?

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:12 am

I have Prime and Quatro tuners. At one time I used WMC with the prime and the BDA Driver is registered as msdri.dll for the Prime but as HDHomeRun_bda_x64.ax for the Quatros. I'm in a private test program with Emby to create a better LiveTV experience and using GraphStudioNext it has been discovered that the drivers for the Prime may not be working correctly. Additionally, Primes that no longer exist in my system are showing up as registered. I'd like to eliminate them.

Here's some screen grabs.

https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... h_id=59099

https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... h_id=59100

https://emby.media/community/index.php? ... h_id=59101

TIA for any assistance in this matter.

Sammy2

Re: Is there a HDHomeRun version of msdri.dll for Prime Tuners?

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 am

You'll need an emby community login but WHY doesn't SiliconDust support file / image attachment yet? I've requested this several times!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 pm

Allowing arbitrary file uploads is a major security risk and one that has been exploited in the past on a variety of different forum systems, so we don't allow it. We recommend using an external image host such as Imgur. On Imgur, once an image has been uploaded, you can click the … at the top-right corner, select Get share links, and use the BBCode (Forums) code to get something that will embed properly. Most other image hosts have a similar BBCode option.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:10 am

jasonl wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:44 pm
Allowing arbitrary file uploads is a major security risk and one that has been exploited in the past on a variety of different forum systems, so we don't allow it. We recommend using an external image host such as Imgur. On Imgur, once an image has been uploaded, you can click the … at the top-right corner, select Get share links, and use the BBCode (Forums) code to get something that will embed properly. Most other image hosts have a similar BBCode option.
Okay but what about my initial inquiry? Thanks.

Highlighted are Primes I no longer own. MSDRI Driver.

HDHR BDA Driver

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm

MSDRI is Microsoft's thing; we have no control over it.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks @jasonl for info on loading images. I’ll stop my nagging (although it is by-far the easiest). :D

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:54 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 pm
MSDRI is Microsoft's thing; we have no control over it.
So since I'm using my Prime with Emby and DRM isn't supported there can I substitute HDHomeRun_BDA_x64.ax for msdri.dll with the Prime? I assume if this works it will have no ill effect on the Prime's use inside the AndroidTV App as that runs independent of any other PC.

Thanks again, Jason!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Emby shouldn't be using either. I believe it currently uses HTTP tuning, which is the recommended method of accessing channels with HDHomeRun PRIME.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 am

jasonl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Emby shouldn't be using either. I believe it currently uses HTTP tuning, which is the recommended method of accessing channels with HDHomeRun PRIME.
Let's assume for a minute that it did use the BDA Driver to access the tuner. Could they be swapped in the registry?

shspvr

Post by shspvr » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:07 am

jasonl wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:09 pm
Your miss the point of BDA Driver access the tuner

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Your assumption is wrong. BDA drivers are for tuning ATSC/clear QAM/DVB-T/DVB-C channels, where the application is responsible for maintaining tuning information for channels. CableCARD channels don't work that way; the HDHomeRun device (and tuning adapter, if present) are responsible for the tuning information, and the application just requests the virtual channel number it wants. Virtual channel tuning is not available via BDA. Your options for tuning CableCARD channels are either HTTP (recommended), using libhdhomerun to tune by vchannel and stream using UDP/RTP (second best option), or writing your own DRI interface (not recommended, DRI is ridiculously complex).

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Okay. So I'm off base and really don't know what I'm talking about! LOL

New question, I have two HDHomeRun Prime Tuners that I don't possess but are still showing up as indicated in my screen shot above. They are orphaned BDA source filter entries that are no longer connected.

How can I get those filters removed?

Thanks.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:57 pm

As jasonl stated cablecard tuners use the DRI (or in the case of the prime, the more "modern" method of http tuning)... I had heard that some cablecards may decode when tuning via frequency (i.e. through bda) but most require tuning by virtual channel number on any non clear qam channel (though when I did such one must also keep in mind that for me they were also all drm protected if not clear qam so I couldn't confirm if such would work anyway). My understanding the msdri is also responsible for a link between bda and cablecard tuners but that there are fields in such that must not be populated or populated with a certain/different data type when used (my understanding normally the bda driver would ignore such "unused" fields if they weren't needed for the method being called but programmers would populate these values before needed but the DRI requires them to be "correct" at the time called)

My personal opinion is that this whole thread about msdri isn't the issue they are encountering and that the issue is similar to why some cable channels don't work with the roku app though I believe that they may be able to see/catch such and are misinterpreting such as a problem with driver rather than a "problem" with stream. But it hasn't been since Vista that I have looked at msdri/bda and just accepted it worked with wmc.

Also what version of windows as it wouldn't surprise me if the HDHomeRun service was also needed and that usually isn't on win 10. I also noticed that once again one may choose digital cable for the tuner type in setup (or at least I thought that had been disabled for awhile if there was a cablecard present)... I believe I had to do that long ago for beyondtv to work with my prime.

I don't know where that list came from but if the tuners are also listed in HDHomeRun Setup, disable them there and apply.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 pm

This is Win 7 but with Emby and the orphaned tuners show up in GraphStudioNext and are highlighted in the screen grab below.

Highlighted are Primes I no longer own. MSDRI Driver.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:34 pm

Have you tried the Unregister button? That might work to remove them. They're added by Windows, not by the HDHomeRun software, so I don't know if there even is a recommended way to remove them.

The HDHomeRun Service just updates a WMC registry key that tracks the last known IP of the device and occasionally runs OCURDiscovery, because otherwise WMC will randomly lose track of the tuners. It wouldn't affect programs other than WMC.