Local Affiliate Frequency Reassignment Issue w WMC

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
jk

Local Affiliate Frequency Reassignment Issue w WMC

Post by jk » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:50 pm

WRC, the local NBC affiliate in the DC area moved to their re-assigned frequency today. Before making any changes, I checked my TV's tuner and found the previous frequency was inactive, ran a channel scan and had WRC on the new channel assignment.

Next, I ran the HD HomeRun software on my tuners, which updated the firmware and did a channel scan. I checked using the HD Homerun viewing app and I could tune all channels including WRC.

Then I ran a new channel scan in Windows Media Center, and when it completed, I checked WRC, and nothing; all other channels are fine. Next I did a full TV setting (which detects tuners and does full channel scans among other things) and checked again- still no WRC.

It's been a long time since I've had to setup anything in Windows Media Center- am I forgetting something? Doing something wrong?

Please advise....

jk

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Local Affiliate Frequency Reassignment Issue w WMC

Post by signcarver » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:05 pm

I gave up on scans on WMC long ago, just configure it manually. I believe it is under guide, missing channels and add DTV channel... from what I recall, you type the virtual major/sub channel numbers in then give it the physical channel number to tune it. You may need to then edit the channel for listings and/or remove the old channel as a source (under edit channel).

jk

Re: Local Affiliate Frequency Reassignment Issue w WMC

Post by jk » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:34 am

Sorry for not responding earlier signcarver, it was a rocky couple of weeks for what should have been a quick 4 channel re-assignment.

First issue was that 2 out of 4 channels had incorrect information for their new channel assignment on the FCC website. I determined what the correct channel numbers were by scanning channels with SD tuners and observing the actually channels that were detected.
I also found Wiki's for both channels that had the correct new channels listed, but did not clearly stated when the change occurred so I couldn't determine if the "new channel" number was from this channel re-assignment or the previous one.

Second issue was that stations did change-overs at different times, and with different levels of sophistication... some were able to switch within anywhere from immediately to 10 minutes and be fully operational, a couple took all day, and came up on different site locations.

One channel came up on channel 5000 or 6000 -can't remember which (according to PSIP info) and stayed there most of the day. The next day I found them up on the correct channel. Several were up and down throughout the day, leading to confusion about whether I had the correct channel information.

I don't remember reading your last sentence, but when the channels came up, Windows Media Center had no channel info on the corrected channel entry, so I went into TV setup and pointed the new channel to the old channel guide info; not knowing how WMC interacted with the **** guide information, I left both channels enabled. This seemed to have the effected of slowing any user input in WMC to a crawl, but still worked. Since I didn't have any idea if or when I'd know when the Guide information was coming in on the new channel, I opened another instance of the new channel, but didn't cross over the Guide information from the old channel frequency.

Apparently ****'s guide was the culprit- the Guide must contain information was to what actual channel it's for (as opposed to virtual channel); the next day it corrected the entry for one of the affected commercial channels, and WMC picked it up, corrected the new channel Guide source and disabled the old channel from the Guide Listings. It took 3 more days for the second commercial channel to be corrected, and the two PBS stations finally showed corrected info about 8 days after the initial channel re-assignment took place. Nice job, ****.

Anyways, thanks for your response signcarver, it got me started down the right path, and everything is back to normal.

I just wish WMC had an editable .XLS or similar. Would have made things a lot easier.