Capabilities of different Fire TV hardware (DRM)

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
DRMsucks

Capabilities of different Fire TV hardware (DRM)

Post by DRMsucks » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:45 am

I wasn't sure where to put this as SD doesn't seem to have a section to discuss behavior on client devices.

I gave up on Fire TV a long time ago. Mostly because of the DRM issue with HDHR. So my last FTV is the 2nd gen console box.

On a whim I fired up that box today after more than a year, reset it to wipe out any mods I made, and loaded the latest code. Still no DRM channels.

So my question is, do ANY of the Fire TV boxes currently being sold work with HDHR and DRM channels? I like the interface, and would prefer to stop using the AirTV boxes.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Capabilities of different Fire TV hardware (DRM)

Post by signcarver » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:19 am

No fire device will support drm until Amazon fixes things that may allow it (which may be never... not trying to spread fud but to show that if drm is a concern, don't consider a fire device at this time)

DRMsucks

Re: Capabilities of different Fire TV hardware (DRM)

Post by DRMsucks » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:51 am

signcarver wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:19 am
No fire device will support drm until Amazon fixes things that may allow it (which may be never... not trying to spread fud but to show that if drm is a concern, don't consider a fire device at this time)
Thank you, SC. I figured as much but wanted to be sure. That's so sad. They're otherwise great little devices.