Will Scribe tuners work with Plex or Emby?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
pixelstuff

Will Scribe tuners work with Plex or Emby?

Post by pixelstuff » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:25 am

I was just wondering if the scribe tuner system would work in the Plex or Emby DVR software.

rpcameron

Re: Will Scribe tuners work with Plex or Emby?

Post by rpcameron » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:54 am

Tuners should work without a problem. However, presently the storage is unusable to Plex.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:51 pm

you cant even point the recordings from it to a library in Plex

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:59 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:54 am
Tuners should work without a problem. However, presently the storage is unusable to Plex.
Why are the recordings unusable? It is encryption or are they lacking a network storage protocol, or something else?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 pm

pixelstuff wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:59 pm
rpcameron wrote:
Why are the recordings unusable? It is encryption or are they lacking a network storage protocol, or something else?
Not that the recordings are unusable, just its storage for Plex. Using the HTTP API you can receive a list of recorded files stored on the Scribe, along with URIs for accessing those recordings.

However, there is presently no way to access the Scribe's storage in any other manner. Therefore, you cannot mount the device as a network store, and therefore cannot arbitrarily read or write to is as Plex would need.

(I suppose you could write filesystem/FUSE driver that translates the Servio/Scribe's recorded files into something that Plex would understand, but that's way too much effort for what is essentially a closed-ecosystem appliance.)

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:40 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:39 pm
pixelstuff wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:59 pm
rpcameron wrote:
Not that the recordings are unusable, just its storage for Plex. Using the HTTP API you can receive a list of recorded files stored on the Scribe, along with URIs for accessing those recordings.

However, there is presently no way to access the Scribe's storage in any other manner. Therefore, you cannot mount the device as a network store, and therefore cannot arbitrarily read or write to is as Plex would need.

(I suppose you could write filesystem/FUSE driver that translates the Servio/Scribe's recorded files into something that Plex would understand, but that's way too much effort for what is essentially a closed-ecosystem appliance.)
Interesting. I was thinking I would recommend these to people wanting to get started, so it is nice to know they can continue using the tuners if they want to upgrade to a third party DVR that has a grid guide and wider platform support.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:07 pm

If your primary use case is with Plex, Emby or some other software, I can't understand why you would purchase the Scribe over a Connect; if you're not using SD's software, the hard drive in the Scribe is useless. (And if you're coming from some other platform such as Plex or Emby, and switching to SD's software, then you already have your hardware and storage infrastructure in place; the extra storage would be nice, but if you're not certain you're going to use their software, that's an expensive "maybe later".)

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:07 pm
If your primary use case is with Plex, Emby or some other software, I can't understand why you would purchase the Scribe over a Connect; if you're not using SD's software, the hard drive in the Scribe is useless. (And if you're coming from some other platform such as Plex or Emby, and switching to SD's software, then you already have your hardware and storage infrastructure in place; the extra storage would be nice, but if you're not certain you're going to use their software, that's an expensive "maybe later".)
Can you figure out how to get a Antenna + tuner + Plex running for under $300 when the only computers available are laptops that don't stay put? Seems like the Scribe would be a good way to get something, then upgrade to a NAS+Plex a year or so later without completely wasting the original investment.

Or possibly sticking with HDHR if they can get their software up to par and get good Roku support, but for now it's hard to do something like record next Saturday's movie of the week without a grid guide.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:18 am

Except the Scribe cannot run Plex, only act as a tuner for an existing Plex Media Server installation. Therefore, you still need a small computer or NAS to run Plex.

(It sounds as if you may have some questions about how exactly both SiliconDust's DVR and Plex work. In either case, you need an always-on device that runs the DVR/server component. In the case of Plex, this is often a NAS or small computer in addition to a tuner; with SD's DVR this can be a small computer or NAS like with Plex, or you may optionally use a Scribe. The Scribe has a tuner, but in the case of SD's DVR, it also runs the DVR; the Scribe does not have the ability to run Plex Media Server, nor can you use its hard drive to store media or recordings for Plex. The only feature/component of the Scribe that Plex can use are the tuners; to Plex the Scribe is essentially the same thing as a Connect.)

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:41 am

rpcameron wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:18 am
(It sounds as if you may have some questions about how exactly both SiliconDust's DVR and Plex work.
Maybe go back and reread some of what I wrote.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 am

pixelstuff wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:41 am
rpcameron wrote:
(It sounds as if you may have some questions about how exactly both SiliconDust's DVR and Plex work.
After re-reading the posts a couple of times, I see I did misread your upgrade comments. However, it still leaves one with a wasteful situation: if you choose the Scribe with an eye for a future move to a different DVR platform than SD's, then you are essentially "throwing away" the storage component to move platforms. I personally find such a loss unnecessary and wasteful, when there are more flexible options available for a comparable price.

pixelstuff

Post by pixelstuff » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:05 am

rpcameron wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 am
pixelstuff wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:41 am
rpcameron wrote:
After re-reading the posts a couple of times, I see I did misread your upgrade comments. However, it still leaves one with a wasteful situation: if you choose the Scribe with an eye for a future move to a different DVR platform than SD's, then you are essentially "throwing away" the storage component to move platforms. I personally find such a loss unnecessary and wasteful, when there are more flexible options available for a comparable price.
Agreed. It's not ideal, but if someone is only willing to spend $200-300 at a time, then something fully function that is also expandable might be better than nothing or those Amazon and Tablo DVR systems.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 am

I'd probably go another route if the ultimate goal is flexibility in DVR platforms. $60 for a CONNECT Duo at Best Buy right now, $60 for a 2TB USB3 drive, $180 for an NVIDIA Shield ($140 if you wait for a sale), however much for a suitable antenna. The Shield will run the HDHomeRun DVR, and Plex, and Channels, and Emby, and probably some other ones. And the Shield also doubles as one of your clients when connected to a TV. It'll come out a bit past $300, but you probably wouldn't need the NAS at all, and even if you do eventually go that route, nothing is wasted.

JDazell1

Post by JDazell1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:11 pm

Jason,
If there was a fully functioning Roku HD app that could work with the Scribe, then all of these conversations would be moot.
:P

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:34 pm

JDazell1 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:11 pm
Jason,
If there was a fully functioning Roku HD app that could work with the Scribe, then all of these conversations would be moot.
:P
I fail to see how a Roku app would make a discussion about SCRIBE working with Plex and Emby any less relevant. This comment is very off topic to this discussion.