channel scan not distinguishing channel(s)

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
clones

channel scan not distinguishing channel(s)

Post by clones » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:59 am

I have been trouble trying to format my question, and where would be the best place to ask. Using Windows 10, MyHDHomerun Duo connect, along with NextPVR, and Kodi.

Recently a broadcast channel nearby (KWKB) has changed stations/ from 2 channels to 5. When using scanning MyHDHomerun to scan the channels, (20.1 KWKB-TV; 20.2 KWKB-TV; 20.3 KWKB-TV; 20.4 KWKB-TV; 20.5 KWKB-TV; 20.6 KWKB-TV), and basically looking like they are all the same channel (the stations are actually 20.1: Escape; 20.2: Laff; 20.3: Grit; 20.4: Bounce TV; 20.5: Light TV
20.6: Infomercials). When I try these stations through the HDHomerun app, I am able to play all the channels.

When I scan the channels through NextPVR, the channels are not being found correctly, and I am only able to play 20.1, and 20.2. and therefore, I am only able to use 20.1 Escape, and 20.2 Laff through Kodi), I was not sure if there is a something I am missing that will assist in identifying the channels separately. Again, I am sorry if this is confusing, as I have had trouble trying to formulate this question

nickk
Silicondust

Re: channel scan not distinguishing channel(s)

Post by nickk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:22 am

Hi,

NextPVR does its own channel scan to find channels. If it is isn't finding the same channels that the HDHomeRun itself finds your best option is to seek support from the NextPVR support forum.

Nick

NextPVR

Post by NextPVR » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:53 pm

nickk wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:22 am
Hi,

NextPVR does its own channel scan to find channels. If it is isn't finding the same channels that the HDHomeRun itself finds your best option is to seek support from the NextPVR support forum.

Nick
For future reference, things have changed a lot:

If you're using NextPVR v5, which is multi-platform, available on Windows, Linux, Mac, Docker, then the user is getting their channel listing from the HDHomeRun's lineup json. On Windows they also have the choice of using the BDA drivers and scanning manually, but that would be a lot less common.

On the older NextPVR v4, which was only available on Windows, the user has the choice of either using using the BDA drivers and manually scanning (via "ATSC", "DVB" in NextPVR's Devices screen), or via the HDHomeRun lineup json (via the "HDHR" in NextPVR's Devices screen)

In the OP's case, there isn't enough information to know where their channel list came from.

antnyg

Post by antnyg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Hey clones,
I had a similar problem with wmc.
The work around for me was to set the BDA driver selection to BLOCK (this is in the advanced tab of the hdhomerun setup)
I also unchecked the box "automatically select from available tuners" (Don't know if that matters or not)
With my setup I rescanned for channels.
wmc said it found none.
I went to edit channels next, they were all there you just have to rename the ones you want and only select the channels you need.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:09 pm

We wouldn't recommend doing that in this particular case. You needed to block the data because your cable provider is doing something that violates standards and WMC doesn't handle that well, and since Microsoft stopped development of WMC years ago, there's no chance of improvements in WMC. For an issue with a broadcast station and NextPVR, it's most likely a setting configured wrong or a step getting missed in a process somewhere, because (a) it's a lot less common for broadcast stations to mess things up like that, and (b) NextPVR has a decade plus of development history and they've long since worked out handling of weird broadcast stuff.

antnyg

Post by antnyg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:08 pm

never tried nextpvr, would you recommend that over wmc

antnyg

Post by antnyg » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:12 pm

do you think verizon knows it's doing something that violates standards.
what exactly is it they're doing

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:58 am

I prefer NextPVR to WMC, yes, and I use it as my backup recording platform (I have a lot of reception problems and need to run multiple antennas and multiple devices to improve my chances of getting a clean recording).

In your case, the problem is that the provider is using the same virtual channel number for multiple channels. The virtual channel numbers are supposed to be unique within a cable lineup. Cable providers have historically been a complete mess about this kind of thing, and it's nearly impossible to get anything done about it, because the people you can talk to on the phone have no idea what it means, and you can't talk to the engineers who would actually know how to fix it.

clones

Post by clones » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:09 am

NextPVR wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:53 pm
nickk wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:22 am
Hi,

Nick
For future reference, things have changed a lot:

If you're using NextPVR v5, which is multi-platform, available on Windows, Linux, Mac, Docker, then the user is getting their channel listing from the HDHomeRun's lineup json. On Windows they also have the choice of using the BDA drivers and scanning manually, but that would be a lot less common.

On the older NextPVR v4, which was only available on Windows, the user has the choice of either using using the BDA drivers and manually scanning (via "ATSC", "DVB" in NextPVR's Devices screen), or via the HDHomeRun lineup json (via the "HDHR" in NextPVR's Devices screen)

In the OP's case, there isn't enough information to know where their channel list came from.
Thank you for the responses, I have been using v. 4.2.4.

NextPVR

Post by NextPVR » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:16 am

On the Settings->Devices screen, did the device list say 'HDHR' or 'ATSC'?

clones

Post by clones » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:54 pm

NextPVR wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:16 am
On the Settings->Devices screen, did the device list say 'HDHR' or 'ATSC'?
ATSC. I do have a follow up, possibly basic question, (I understand the ATSC is the over the air antenna, I have not been sure what HDHR is?

NextPVR

Post by NextPVR » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Probably best to post the question over at the NextPVR forums and I'll take a look for you.

Also, it'd be good to post a npvr.log after scanning, so I can see what names are reported in the stream. (if you're using Schedules Direct, this can lead to your channels being renamed)