Windows Media center server down?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
loueber

Windows Media center server down?

Post by loueber » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Can someone who is still running media center check to see if they can set up their tv signal again?
I thought it was just one computer i had issues with, but i tested it on a properly working media center on another computer and it fails in the same set up area:
"unable to download set up data"

this seemed to be an issue in the past a couple years ago, but this is brand new, like with in the last week.
Can someone confirm please?
thanks
PS, i will post this also on a media center forum as well.

stuartm

Re: Windows Media center server down?

Post by stuartm » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:11 pm

This has been reported over on The Green Button forums as well.

JohnW248
Expert

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Except there is a problem with the Epg listings server. The guide hasn't updated in the last few days and right now you error out during an update with "unable to connect with remote server" when trying to get the guide listings. Big trouble if your trying to run tv set-up right now or if you had a crash like one of my machines did and lost its guide and how has a guide full of "data not available".

It has been reported to **** which is our only trouble contact for MSFT and they are aware of the issue. Started 20 or 21st, my first notice as 1:45 am pdt on Friday the 21st.

John

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:02 am

Please note that epg123 along with a Schedules Direct account is an alternative source for guide date for WMC. Set up is a bit different, but it has been working quite well do me for several years.

hotshot2k3

Post by hotshot2k3 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:19 am

markfromBrooklyn wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:02 am
Please note that epg123 along with a Schedules Direct account is an alternative source for guide date for WMC. Set up is a bit different, but it has been working quite well do me for several years.
Try reseting WMC

Open command prompt as admin

Change location by typing : cd C:\windows\ehome\

The enter mcupdate.exe -mediacenterrecoverytask

After its done restart and try again

Karter

Post by Karter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:26 am

Microsoft announced that it is discontinuing the agreement with **** and will no longer support WMC as of the end of May 2019. **** will not address any issues either.

At least that is my understanding. Using EPG123 is a great alternative, the information provided is current/correct and far superior to the WMC/**** guide.

It also seems Silicondust doesn't really want to support WMC either, as they try to push users into Windows 10 and their HDHomerun interface (I am not a fan of the SD viewing experience nor Win10, but love the SD hardware).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:05 pm

[citation needed]

There was an announcement that metadata for movies and music (cover art, actors/artists, etc.) would no longer be available. I am unaware of any announcement that guide listings would no longer be provided or that what Microsoft support for WMC remains was ending.

Microsoft has pretty consistently had one major guide outage each year for as long as I can remember. 2019 hadn't had one before now.

JohnW248
Expert

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:32 pm

I would caution anyone to resist making changes or running things on your copy of Media Center. The problem is with MSFT and their servers and they and the guide supplier are aware of the issue and working on it.

I can't explain why its been going on for 8 days, but until it is fixed do not run TV selt-up in Media Center. Doing a reset as described above will lead you into doing set up again which will not complete because after you input the zip code MSFT goes to download the schedule and right now that schedule isn't there. At least as it stands you can still view channels and copy once material and manually set up recordings.

Seems like this is turning into an annual event, the causes are different but the results or running out of schedule are the same.

JohnW248
Expert

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:46 pm

This afternoon (June 28 2019) The MSFT guide server started working again providing the Media Center guide through July 11.

No word on what it was or why, it just started updating around 3PM PDT with someone on the east coast getting an auto update to complete. I did manual updates on three machines and will check the rest in the morning.