Channels DVR + DRM

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Kimbo

Re: Channels DVR + DRM

Post by Kimbo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am

daniel2744 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:26 am
I just become aware of this new feature yesterday when I was reading the periodic email I get from you guys. I got home from work and set it up. took me only minutes to get it going on my WD MyCloud PR2100 NAS. used it for awhile and some channels had some buffering issues at first but that was just at the beginning and afterwards had no problems. I set some recordings to test and everything worked great. i thought something like this was dead when premium tv sadly was forced to go away. thanks for always looking to improve the experience with channels dvr.
Hi, I also have a WD MyCloud PR210 NAS.
Can you give me an instruction of how to download the app and install it to my NAS?

Thank you very much for your time

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Kimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am
daniel2744 wrote:
I just become aware of this new feature yesterday when I was reading the periodic email I get from you guys. I got home from work and set it up. took me only minutes to get it going on my WD MyCloud PR2100 NAS. used it for awhile and some channels had some buffering issues at first but that was just at the beginning and afterwards had no problems. I set some recordings to test and everything worked great. i thought something like this was dead when premium tv sadly was forced to go away. thanks for always looking to improve the experience with channels dvr.
Can you give me an instruction of how to download the app and install it to my NAS?

Go here ....
https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/

Kimbo

Post by Kimbo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:33 pm

EddieP wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 pm
Kimbo wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am
daniel2744 wrote:

Go here ....
https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/
Thank you, I will try it out.

DRMsucks

Post by DRMsucks » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi,

I wasn't going to get your app due to DRM, but I just did a check of my cable channels and there are only 4 left now. I'll just use the HDHR app for those, or use your web stream feature.

I only have one last question before I sign up, and I couldn't find the answer on your site. I have two HDHR boxes. A Prime, and Quattro. Will Channels pick up both boxes at the same time like the HDHR app does, or am I limited to one?

Thanks

tmm1

Post by tmm1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:00 pm

You can use as many HDHRs as you want and set the priority of each.

markmarz

Post by markmarz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:32 pm

I'm a little confused, sorry. Which SD box do I need for this solution?

I have a Prime now and it works great pulling programming off Cable. Right now I have Comcast so I don't have a problem with DRM for the only two channels I ever watch, TCM and PBS.

But I'm considering a move to Western New York which has Spectrum cable and does DRM TCM. I saw someone's reply in this thread indicating they're having success with this solution using Spectrum TV Choice, so I don't see why it won't work for me when I move there.

But I'm not clear on which SD box I'd use? One that pulls from the internet I suppose, but which is that?

Thanks!
Mark M.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:06 pm

markmarz wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:32 pm
I'm a little confused, sorry. Which SD box do I need for this solution?

I have a Prime now and it works great pulling programming off Cable. Right now I have Comcast so I don't have a problem with DRM for the only two channels I ever watch, TCM and PBS.

But I'm considering a move to Western New York which has Spectrum cable and does DRM TCM. I saw someone's reply in this thread indicating they're having success with this solution using Spectrum TV Choice, so I don't see why it won't work for me when I move there.

But I'm not clear on which SD box I'd use? One that pulls from the internet I suppose, but which is that?

Thanks!
Mark M.
You would still use the PRIME to get your cable channels. The Channels app is what actually pulls in the internet-based content, and then the app unifies those with the non-DRM channels from the PRIME

markmarz

Post by markmarz » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:50 am

Thanks NedS!

Gee, I just now reviewed your very first post and see that you said ' .. if you have a Prime ..'.

Sorry about that!
Last edited by markmarz on Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

markmarz

Post by markmarz » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:07 am

jasonmcroy wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:10 pm
I can add my experience with this as well. When the Beta was announced I HAD to try it out. I was super bummed when Premium TV went away over here. So, I was still looking and trying other solutions. It required me to have to use several different apps to get what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay.

Anyway, I signed up for Spectrum Choice TV which gives me the option of 10 cable channels for 25.00 per month. There are really only about 6 cable channels we care about. I signed up and now I have all my channels via TVE coming into my Channels DVR alongside my OTA antenna all in one interface! It's ridiculously easy.

Since it is in Beta there were a few bumps here and there but nothing major. I am very pleased with the service and setup.
If you don't mind, would you tell me whether TCM is one of your Choice channels? I suppose that actually means 'Watch TCM' and am wondering if there any problems pulling from it. I will test myself but I'm currently using Comcast, not Spectrum which is my likely future provider, so it's not a true test.

Thanks!
Mark M.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:06 am

markmarz wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:07 am
jasonmcroy wrote:
I can add my experience with this as well. When the Beta was announced I HAD to try it out. I was super bummed when Premium TV went away over here. So, I was still looking and trying other solutions. It required me to have to use several different apps to get what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay.

Anyway, I signed up for Spectrum Choice TV which gives me the option of 10 cable channels for 25.00 per month. There are really only about 6 cable channels we care about. I signed up and now I have all my channels via TVE coming into my Channels DVR alongside my OTA antenna all in one interface! It's ridiculously easy.

Since it is in Beta there were a few bumps here and there but nothing major. I am very pleased with the service and setup.
If you don't mind, would you tell me whether TCM is one of your Choice channels? I suppose that actually means 'Watch TCM' and am wondering if there any problems pulling from it. I will test myself but I'm currently using Comcast, not Spectrum which is my likely future provider, so it's not a true test.

Thanks!
Mark M.
My Spectrum lineup includes TCM, and I have TVE access to TCM.

markmarz

Post by markmarz » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:16 am

jasonmcroy wrote:
My Spectrum lineup includes TCM, and I have TVE access to TCM.
Terrific! Thanks Jason.

breezytm

Post by breezytm » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Now only if all the companies like SD, Channels, Plex, Emby, etc.. could just put their heads together and create one suitable solution instead of creating isolated solutions with roadblocks. Liife would have been greattttt. SD apps sucks. They know that. We know that. Even Jesus knows that by now. Channels app is decent. The UI is not the best but it'll make do. Channels team is innovative and open minded which is a plus. Plex and Emby as far as live tv goes can only go so far since they are open source.

Now image if SD can focus on getting the DRM recording working. Channels continues to come up with innovative ideas like TVE and redesign the UI to something similar to WMC or ATV Live Channels. And then merge their efforts into one solution. We could have the ultimate solution to actually replace our cable box. WMC was literally, even decade later, the best solution All you people had to do was copy it. Why reinvent the wheel? It just worked. The UI was so intuitive. Oh did you know what they do to have such intuitive UI? They just copy the UI from our cable box that we all so accustom to. That's it.

Android TV Live channels is great. How about an integration to it Channels? Plex, Emby live tv could have been just a plugin. I don't know why they needed to create their own solutions. On top of that if I already own an SD hardware, why should I be paying for Plex and Emby guide? Makes absolutely no sense. I theory you shouldn't need a PlexPass or Emby Premiere to get Live TV with 5 days worth of guide. That should be free and they should have just pulled it from the SiliconDust. That should really be an option in their solution setup. But hey, got to make money somehow.

No one got money to be paying all of you. I want to use TVE but I got to pay $80\year. I also like the fact that SD as an integration with ATV Live Channels. For that I am paying them a yearly subscription. Granted it has not yet started. Want live tv on Emby, well you have to pay for that. Want live tv on Plex? Got to pay for that too. There is not one of you providing a 90% solution that is suitable.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:46 am

I cannot understand why people complain about paying a small fee to these developers for their time. I fully appreciate what they do and have no problem paying them for their efforts and time also ongoing support.

breezytm

Post by breezytm » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:19 am

I can never understand why some people think what is acceptable to them must be acceptable to everyone. As if what they eat make everyone else ... you see where this is going.

You are entitled to be satisfied with half bake projects and I don't. Oh, wait I think I know why that is. Yes, it is because we are two completely different people with different desires.

By the way, I bought PlexPass I think $70 in 2013 to support the project. And Emby Premiere for like $30 when they switch from Mediabrowser 2 to Mediabrowser 3. Before the subscription I also used to donate. I used to be a huge community contributor for both projects. So don't assume. You know what happens when you do that.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:57 pm

breezytm wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:19 am
I can never understand why some people think what is acceptable to them must be acceptable to everyone. As if what they eat make everyone else ... you see where this is going.

You are entitled to be satisfied with half bake projects and I don't. Oh, wait I think I know why that is. Yes, it is because we are two completely different people with different desires.

By the way, I bought PlexPass I think $70 in 2013 to support the project. And Emby Premiere for like $30 when they switch from Mediabrowser 2 to Mediabrowser 3. Before the subscription I also used to donate. I used to be a huge community contributor for both projects. So don't assume. You know what happens when you do that.
What you were ranting about was that every DVR project should be forced to work together instead of doing their own thing... and on top of it, you wanted them to do so at a loss of profit, making their companies unsustainable. That might not have been your intention, but that is the natural result of what you were advocating for.

I never liked WMC, and I don't want to use anything like that. I hate the interface used by cable companies on their own boxes. In my mind live TV is a delivery system, not something to dictate how and when I watch TV. Can you see how not everyone agrees, and why different companies will take different approaches?

The real reason any of this is a PITA is because of DRM and the companies that push it. A system designed to punish customers who play by the rules, but does little to stop the pirates. Cable companies also use things like DRM and CableCARD to make it hard to even make competing hardware, despite the fact that CableCARD was meant to do the opposite. If you want to see real progress in this space, that is where people need to focus their attention on. Imagine what we could do if we didn't have to spend so much time on stupid DRM.