Should we be concerned?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
Beerman

Should we be concerned?

Post by Beerman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Not sure this is allowed but it caught my eye and is something I've been thinking about for awhile for those in smaller towns.
And, though Cox is much bigger than this company and has their hands in other pies, I am now seeing the older generation dropping cable and sticking to streaming.
https://krtv.com/news/montana-and-regio ... f-october/

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Should we be concerned?

Post by NedS » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:35 pm

I think that says more about how few people there are in Montana than how many people aren't watching cable TV ;)

(no offense to the find people of Montana)

Besides, HDHomeRun welcomes cord cutters.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm

This is actually old news (in the various industry forum discussions).

It is also much more of a small provider thing today. It costs a lot of money (to acquire and upgrade and maintain) the equipment to service TV customers, and a lot (and a lot and a lot) of money to negotiate with content providers, and the small providers can't get a break on content itself.

The big boys (and gals) can afford to do all those things at scale with heavy discounts because they are spending huge amounts of money. That does not mean they are immune to the entire cord shaving experience, but they have their plans and their future pricing strategies (which are also discussed, sometimes a bit indirectly, at the industry events).

Mediaman
Expert

Post by Mediaman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:59 pm

naw... this is a legacy telephone company that added TV service [not sure if it is iptv but suspect], not a broadcaster. They can still provide the landline phone and internet. Once they are no longer in service they might ally with a dish service?

They do not have enough buying power in the TV sector even if it was the whole state vs Charter or satellite. I know a city with maybe 300K that use its TV service but are finding it harder to justify the service and not able to compete with Comcast on channels or cost and they may be forced out. I think Charter has most of cable service in Montana and the rest would be satellite. Then broadcast which may see a resurgence once 3.0 4K broadcasting finally makes it too Montana. The cord cutting I see has a small group that rebound to cable or dish subscribing. Many times due to piece meal pricing costs or lack of access to a specific channel with the maker of the system they got and whether a stick or stb. There are quite a few that are willing to give up a channel or two as long as it is not a must see for them.

I do not even think you could co-op all the small local systems as one group and find any way to compete with the majors anymore.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:15 pm

We have only 1 choice for true cable and it's Cox. They go up an average of about $15 a year (after they try and increase to $35 and you argue with them that the increase is ridiculous). But, if you drop cable and stream, they only give you 1tb of data and many that I know go above that every single month. I guess I understand where they're coming from.
But, the writing is on the wall. I can't see anything in the not so distant future except for streaming. I do think cable as we know if it in it's final stages of cancer.

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Post by demonrik » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:28 am

Am also on Cox and I stream everything..
1TB is enough for me, but will vary depending on house hold.
I did a quick spreadsheet some time back looking at num hours the household watches average streaming content (~6Mbps - 2.7GB/hr) and premium (~18Mbps - 8.1GB/hr).
With a 2 sets each running 5 hours of average and 3 hours premium - 1TB cap gives me 132 days of streaming!

But overall - I think the trend is 100% going to be for cable to move away from QAM (or at least reduce the service over it) and go all in IP. Trying to do 4K is extremely expensive, and with changing habits of consumption it's just going to get more and more troublesome. Better to free up the B/W for data and move completely to an IP solution. Good news in US is the FCC killed off the restrictions on providers so they can provide their own content over IP and prioritize it, not charge for it (CAP and data fees), etc..
The large guys will be able to play in the market much better, and then likely be able to rebrand/resell to the smaller cable providers too.