WIndows 10 + WMC + HDHOMERUN Prime

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
odror

WIndows 10 + WMC + HDHOMERUN Prime

Post by odror » Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi

I was able to install the latest version of WMC on windows 10. It detects one (out of 2) of the hdhomerun tuners. It does not detect any of the
HDhomerun prime tuners.

Any workaround or fix (Please do not tell me about W 7)

Thanks

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: WIndows 10 + WMC + HDHOMERUN Prime

Post by signcarver » Sat May 04, 2019 6:12 pm

At the very least, you would need the hdhomerun service installed and running (it isn't installed/running on windows 10 as windows 10 does not support WmC (yes there are hacks but in some circles such hacks are considered illegal-- I suggest taking such talks over to thegreenbutton.tv ). Even if you get it somewhat running, if you are on any "modern" version of windows 10, DRM will no longer work and though you asked not to mention such, I STRONGLY recommend only using windows 7 with WMC as any update to windows can cripple the hacks.

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Sun May 05, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm a former Win10 + WMC + Prime user. Every windows update would break it. I even disabled the Windows Update service and they still managed to update my computer. The developers would release a new version to support the newest version of WMC for Win10. Eventually MS updated playready and the updated version of playready no longer detects cable card tuners. Without playready working you are done when it comes to cable card tuners. In addition, most of the developers working on the WMC Win10 project are European and don't have access to cable cards to even attempt to do any troubleshooting to try to come to a resolution. Either go back to Win7 or find another solution. I'm currently using the HDHomeRun DVR. I'm not very happy with it, but it works. If I could keep Win10 and WMC I would in a heart beat! Good luck!

odror

Post by odror » Tue May 07, 2019 4:42 pm

I really want to used windows 10 and HDhomerun prime. My understanding is that the HDHOMErun DVR does not record copy protected programs (which is most of the channels on timewarner, now Spectrum). Any other solution for windows 10 (or Linux). Does anyone know how close silicondust is to enable copy protected programs using HDHOMErun DVR.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Tue May 07, 2019 5:38 pm

Currently no solution for windows 10 that records drm protected content... there was a hack for the initial version of windows 10 that "supported" drm content but the first major update killed that for all and though they have since had hacks to still allow the prime to be used, they will not support DRM. I don't feel comfortable suggesting such "hacks" as unless you "build" it yourself, I find it questionable as to how they suggest "obtaining" WMC that would be legal for use on windows 10.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust » Wed May 08, 2019 8:19 am

It works great for OTA. I haven't seen one bug. This is using a USB Hauppauge dual tuner as I have ditched network tuners from SD. On Win10 Pro I am able to delay feature updates for a year and security updated for 35 days.

Bobstr
Device ID: 131CCFEA, 1314A87C

Post by Bobstr » Wed May 22, 2019 11:45 am

I tried all the tricks and eventually gave up. It's too much work to keep using a dead application (WMC), even though it was my favorite.

Now I use HDHomerun as the DVR and viewer, and KODI for everything else. After a long time, I'm still working through many of the kinks and issues to make it 'simple-ish' at a level anywhere near what WMC gave us. Not succeeding all that well on making it 'simple-ish' though.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen » Sat May 25, 2019 5:23 am

After all this time, we STILL cannot record copy-protected content? I'd love to replace two cable boxes and update my WMC computer, but cannot. And Windows 7 is no longer supported early next year.

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos » Sat May 25, 2019 6:48 pm

odror wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:42 pm
I really want to used windows 10 and HDhomerun prime. My understanding is that the HDHOMErun DVR does not record copy protected programs (which is most of the channels on timewarner, now Spectrum). Any other solution for windows 10 (or Linux). Does anyone know how close silicondust is to enable copy protected programs using HDHOMErun DVR.
Simple solution is to use windows 8.1

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sat May 25, 2019 9:02 pm

Deihmos wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:48 pm
Well, 8.1 Pro and the Media Center add on, but while the Media Center add on license was cheap ($10? and even free during the early days), it was withdrawn almost four years ago, and except for some random whitebox vendors with a license sitting in some corner that they probably do not even remember about, I do not think you can find any stock of the license left. So you had to actually think and plan in advance.

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos » Sun May 26, 2019 5:52 pm

gtb wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:02 pm
Deihmos wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 6:48 pm
Well, 8.1 Pro and the Media Center add on, but while the Media Center add on license was cheap ($10? and even free during the early days), it was withdrawn almost four years ago, and except for some random whitebox vendors with a license sitting in some corner that they probably do not even remember about, I do not think you can find any stock of the license left. So you had to actually think and plan in advance.
If you got a license back then it still works. What do you mean it was withdrawn? I installed it not too long ago and used it exclusively until recently.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Sun May 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Deihmos wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:52 pm
What do you mean it was withdrawn?
Withdrawn from marketing. No new licenses are available. And stock is/was essentially zero from resellers. Microsoft was likely provide a not so subtle hint that this was the beginning of the end to WMC (which was not at all a surprise given they reassigned most staff associated with WMC in ~2009).

vseven

Post by vseven » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:51 am

My HTPC died a couple years ago and I tried a bunch of other solutions: HD DVR (at the time awful), nVidia Shield, Chromecast, roku, etc. Ended up building a new HTPC and running Windows 7 Ultimate with WMC. Runs great, the interface is good, works perfectly with my HDHR Prime and Spectrum cable service.

I keep looking for a replacement like a new Roku 4k or a Amazon Fire TV but none are as convienient as my HTPC and HDHR Prime. Even got a Logitech Harmony remote controlling it all (tv, sound bar, and Windows media center) so no keyboard/mouse needed. I thought about "cutting the cord" but then I'm just moving what I pay Spectrum to paying someone else to stream stuff. I know Windows 7 won't be supported next January but I don't care....there still isn't anything as good out there. Plus honestly the interface, while dated and no 4k support, is still extremely functional.

Eventually I will probably get a HDHR Connect for local channels and stream the rest but it won't be anytime soon.