SageTV instructions?

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
RonBoyd

Re: SageTV instructions?

Post by RonBoyd » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:39 am

EddieP wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:01 am
RonBoyd wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 am
jasonl wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:46 pm
Try settings the BDA mode to default and see if that changes anything.
Yes, that is where it defaulted to. I, also, tried each of the other options individually but none solved the issue.

(Sorry, it took so long to respond but the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option was either turned off or I missed setting it.)
Any reason why you are not using OPENDCT network tuner to setup the tuners in Sage ? It allows pooling of the tuners so you can Share them with other Apps. It works with Primes , Connects ,Quatro and Scribe tuners.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62774
Isn't the OPENDCT (open source digital cable tuner) for cable signals? I am using a rooftop antenna only (OTA). How would I set that up?

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:52 am

RonBoyd wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:39 am
EddieP wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:01 am
RonBoyd wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 am

Yes, that is where it defaulted to. I, also, tried each of the other options individually but none solved the issue.

(Sorry, it took so long to respond but the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option was either turned off or I missed setting it.)
Any reason why you are not using OPENDCT network tuner to setup the tuners in Sage ? It allows pooling of the tuners so you can Share them with other Apps. It works with Primes , Connects ,Quatro and Scribe tuners.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62774
Isn't the OPENDCT (open source digital cable tuner) for cable signals? I am using a rooftop antenna only (OTA). How would I set that up?
It does OTA Also .....

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:04 pm

If you want to try it the regular way, please quit out of SageTV, enable the sending of diagnostic data in HDHomeRun Setup, run a channel scan, then try to watch something in SageTV. Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we'll check the logs.

RonBoyd

Post by RonBoyd » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 am

jasonl wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:04 pm
If you want to try it the regular way, please quit out of SageTV, enable the sending of diagnostic data in HDHomeRun Setup, run a channel scan, then try to watch something in SageTV. Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we'll check the logs.
1041FF23-0, -1
1042AA90-0, -1
10485A85-0, -1
1074B30E-0, -1, -2, -3

RonBoyd

Post by RonBoyd » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:00 am

RonBoyd wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:30 am
jasonl wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:04 pm
1041FF23-0, -1
1042AA90-0, -1
10485A85-0, -1
1074B30E-0, -1, -2, -3
Did I do the "Reply back" thing wrong?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Odd, the default option is leaving the PID filter enabled when it should be disabled. Switch the compatibility mode to J River and try SageTV again.

RonBoyd

Post by RonBoyd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 am

Well, it becomes even stranger:

As suggested by a SageTV user, I installed the 32 bit version of SageTV but didn't open it. Then, in HDHomeRun Setup, SageTV was again a BDA Compatibility option. I clicked on it and rescanned. I, then, uninstalled SageTV 32 bit. The SageTV BDA Compatibility option was again missing. I, then, used the "Media Portal" option to rescan the channels.

The SageTV 64 bit version was now able to receive a signal from all of the HDHomeRun channels. Great! However...

At 5:00 PM, I confirmed that SageTV could still receive the TV signals. Everything was as expected. At 9:00PM. I received the message that a recording had failed because the "channel was not available." Sure enough, starting HDHomeRun Setup "found 0 HDHomeRun tuners" but all five devices were listed. (This was true on 3 computers connected to the LAN and the signals were clean directly from the antenna.) I decided this was an issue best looked at in the morning.

This morning, I ran HDHomeRun Setup and it "found 10 HDHomeRun tuners." It, also, gave me this error message: "A problem has been detected with UPnP Discovery. Clicking OK will open a webpage with information on how to resolve the problem." (This message appeared on all 3 machines.) I went to the webpage and decided it was a little too complicated for me... that plus it had no instructions for my Linksys Router. So I did the obvious -- rebooted the Router. Started HDHomeRun Setup and the message did not appear.

Yes, I can access the channels and get a signal in SageTV right now but I was able to yesterday also... until I couldn't.

Please check the Diagnostic Log(s) and see what is causing this.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:12 pm

Sounds like your router has brain damage.

RonBoyd

Post by RonBoyd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:00 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:12 pm
Sounds like your router has brain damage.
Is that a guess? Or what the Log shows? It is a rather expensive model (Linksys EA9500)... and fairly new -- https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-EA9500/

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Bearing in mind that all I have is logs of what the PC was seeing, here's the timeline:
(pm)
7:40: HDHomeRun DVR 1 finds devices and syncs successfully
7:56: SageTV tries to access the HDHomeRun; no devices found
8:30: HDHomeRun DVR 2 cannot find devices. This is every 2 hours, and it worked the last time around at 6:30.
9:30: you opened HDHomeRun Setup, no devices found
9:33: HDHomeRun DVR 1 restarted by HDHomeRun Setup, does not find devices
9:39: HDHomeRun DVR 1 finds devices, but cannot retrieve the channel lineups from them
11:40: HDHomeRun DVR 1 finds devices and can retrieve the channel lineups
(am)
5:30: you open HDHomeRun Setup and get UPnP error
6:41: SageTV tunes a channel successfully
7:40: no UPnP error in HDHomeRun Setup

So, what we have to go on is that multiple applications on multiple PCs lost access to multiple HDHomeRun devices simultaneously, and even when things came back there were still some network issues until the router was rebooted and everything was fine after that. Add that all up and it points squarely at the router.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:22 pm

You have to remember that If you do not use OPENDCT with your tuners in SageTV they cannot be shared with the HDHomeRun DVR. Without using OPENDCT in SageTV it will assume all tuners are exclusive if anything else is using the tuners and Sage goes to record you will get no signal.

You have to Choose use OPENDCT if you are going to Share your tuners ? or play Russian roulette with your tuners.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:56 pm

That is incorrect; as long as the Automatically select from available tuners option is enabled in HDHomeRun Setup, it will first try the specific tuner SageTV requested, and if that is in use, move on to the rest of the tuners until it finds an open one.

EddieP

Post by EddieP » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:25 pm

jasonl wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:56 pm
That is incorrect; as long as the Automatically select from available tuners option is enabled in HDHomeRun Setup, it will first try the specific tuner SageTV requested, and if that is in use, move on to the rest of the tuners until it finds an open one.
But SageTV will not do that it has been proven. SageTV will fail if the tuner it tries to use is in use.... It will not move on to the next availible tuner. You can keep believing that SageTV without OPENDCT will move on to the next available tuner ... but I can tell you it was not designed that way. Good luck !!!! I am out.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 pm

SageTV doesn't move on, the HDHomeRun BDA driver does. This functionality was added to the BDA driver in 2008 specifically for the purpose of allowing for sharing of tuners between different applications that don't otherwise support it. OpenDCT may be required to support it on HDHomeRun PRIME since it doesn't go through the BDA driver and I don't think SageDCT implemented any kind of tuner sharing, but that's not relevant to someone who is using 4 OTA devices.

RonBoyd

Post by RonBoyd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Yeah. I think I will try the OPENDTC option. That SageTV does not skip to the next open tuner seems consistent with, in retrospect, I see happening. This may be a few days before I can get to it.