Win10 WMC replacements using HDHomeRun Prime recommendations

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
SpencerC

Win10 WMC replacements using HDHomeRun Prime recommendations

Post by SpencerC » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Hello all and thanks in advance for any input you may offer.

I am looking for a legitimate replacement for WMC for running on my Win10 computer. I watch TV directly on my computer and am not concerned with watching on a TV or streaming to other TV's in the house. I have a dual monitor set up and have TV running on one screen while doing other things on the other screen.

I ran the ported version of WMC on my Win10 box for a long time, but Windows updates always broke it and I gave up and subscribed to the HDHomeRun DVR service. It works. I can watch TV and record shows. But the interface and several basic DVR functions are not present and I am not here to call them out or rant about it.

I recently tried Channels using their trial and it looked promising. But the video feeds would often get pixelated with other video issues and recorded playbacks would just freeze. Support basically said they couldn't help even though I had none of these issues using WMC, HDHomeRun app or VLC.

I also tried TVMosiac which also looked promising but they didn't provide guide data along with their annual charge. I don't mind an annual charge as long as things work as simply as they did with WMC.

If anyone has any experience with an easy to set up and just work app like WMC that works with the HDHomeRun Prime, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks!!

Spencer

rrussis82

Re: Win10 WMC replacements using HDHomeRun Prime recommendations

Post by rrussis82 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:13 pm

Try Emby

techpro2004

Post by techpro2004 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:09 pm

If you have any copy-once channels that you watch, I am afraid, Your options are limited. There are 3 options, wmc, the silicondust hdhomerun app and Google Live channels using the hdhomerun source. My family was not pleased with the ui in the win10 app so as soon as drm on android came out, I switched them over to Google Live channels on an nvidia shield. It provides a grid guide with copy-once support. I hope this helps.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am

Have you tried Kodi with djp952's unofficial DVR addon? It works with the HDHomeRun DVR but provides more of a traditional DVR look and feel. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=71135

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 am

Thanks everyone, I will try them all out.