InstaTV on Apple TV will not play certain shows recorded rom HDHR Prime

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
marks

InstaTV on Apple TV will not play certain shows recorded rom HDHR Prime

Post by marks » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:36 pm

I am having a problem that InstaTV on Apple TV will not play certain shows at all from Freeform channel such as Cloak and Dagger and Pretty Little Liars recorded from my HDHR Prime box, but 700 Club plays back fine. The HD homerun app on my Windows Laptop and IOS plays these 2 shows fine, so there is something about InstaTV and HDHR Prime recorded shows data format it cannot handle on Freeform for some shows.

p.s.when I was recording Freeform shows with with HDHR Premium TV service (with my Quattro box), then InstaTV played these fine.

marks

Re: InstaTV on Apple TV will not play certain shows recorded rom HDHR Prime

Post by marks » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:53 am

Any thoughts on why insta TV is not playing HDHR Prime recorded shows? In the meantime, I have been attaching my Win 10 laptop to our TV with an HDMI cable to watch shows with the HDHR app that Insta TV will not play at all. IOS Airplay is another workaround once the issue with IOS 12.2 is fixed. As mentioned Insta TV was happy with the HDHR Premium service recorded files which I assume were a different format.

Will be soo much better once a HDHR app for appl tv is out.

I emailed Insta TV support last week but no response, so seems like it is not supported anymore.

marks

Post by marks » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:25 am

Can anyone help determine why Insta TV cannot play recorded shows on the Apple TV from HD Homerun Prime with the DVR service? Inst TV support has not responded to my question for week, so sounds like that will not be resolved but maybe is there a way to change the format of what HD DVR record to make Insta TV handle it?
If not, seems like I will have to consider getting a Invidia Shield perhaps to support the HD Homerun app since connecting my laptop is with HDMI is sort of a pain every time we want to watch recorded shows.
The MI box looks interesting but Lon Siedman mentioned in his video that it was choppy with recorded shows.
I know eventually there will be a HD Homerun app for Apple TV but that may be quite a while.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:51 am

It's hard to say what the issue might be when it comes to third party apps like this. I did just now poke the MrMC guys to see if they would be interested in adding djp952's DVR add-on (they might have already been asked, but I don't recall offhand). That's still a third party solution, so it always comes with caveats, but in theory it should be an option for Apple TV users. At the moment, MrMC only supports live TV from PRIME, CONNECT, DUO, QUATRO, EXTEND, and newer.

Full disclosure, I know the MrMC guys and they once gave me some free hardware in exchange for writing some how-to guides for them, years ago. We're also all former Kodi people (MrMC is basically an Apple-approved Kodi, with some additional enhancements and features from the original iOS Kodi developer). No one is paying me to mention it, but I might have some biased due to the fact that I know them and like that it's Kodi-based ;)

I'll let you know if I hear anything. It's always good to have more options.

marks

Post by marks » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Thanks, if MrMC could support playing the HDhomerun DVR recorded shows on the Apple TV let me know. i have subcribed to this forum topic so I will see ur post right away.

I use the WdMycloud EX4 as my HDHR server if it matters.

If I cannot get my (non-DRM) DVR recorded shows from the HD HR Prime to play soon on the Apple TV, I may have to break down and get an Nvidia Shield, at least one for the living room.

For Live TV I use the Channels app. It does not support DRM yet, but works well for Live TV.

Thanks