WMC Grey Screen

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
heath600

WMC Grey Screen

Post by heath600 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:53 pm

Does anyone know what causes a Grey screen in WMC. I mainly see this in recordings but I have had it happen during live TV. Once it happens the only way to fix it is to retune the channel

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12IpKgw ... p=drivesdk

This only happens on my Prime's. My OTA tuners never do this. I suspect something with SDV as it seems to only happen on certain channels or maybe a network issue but not sure how to track it down.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: WMC Grey Screen

Post by jasonl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:11 pm

HDCP issue maybe? Any change if you go out of and back into full-screen mode?

heath600

Post by heath600 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:05 pm

I don't think its an HDCP issue. Usually if that is the case WMC reports that as the issue. (I deleted the recording but will try this next time I have a bad recording)

In this case it was a recording of the "Walking Dead" at the 23 minute mark the screen went to that grey screenshot and continues for the rest of the recording. If I rewind before the 23 minute mark the picture starts showing again with no issues until you cross the same 23 minute mark where it goes grey again. (I am on Spectrum so all streams that do this are copy once)

WMC never reports a problem with the stream and it keeps recording. If the signal drops you usually get a screen reporting no signal or weak signal.

I do have two primes and I wonder if all the streams that do this are coming from the same prime. This is the first time I tracked down the tuner in use and will check next time it happens to see if its the same prime.

Out of curiosity what happens if an SDV stream is stopped by the provider during recording? Would the prime recognize the stream was cutoff and request the stream again or would it still think it has a signal and keep going?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:55 am

I believe if the provider shuts down an SDV channel it sends a message via the TA that the channel is unavailable and I think that gets logged in the HDHomeRun's system log. It's not something that normally happens though; providers don't generally shut down existing streams in use for recordings. SDV signals the intended use of the channel (speculative recording (where something records shows it thinks you might like), live TV, recording, etc.), and when the system runs out of bandwidth it will shut down speculative first, then send out the "Are you still watching this channel?" message to live TV, and shut down any non-responsive ones second, and recordings last. Also, it would surprise me a bit if AMC HD was an SDV channel to begin with given its popularity.

Wondering if it might be the old 47 hour bug. WMC redoes the DRM handshake with the HDHomeRun every 47 hours, and sometimes that can corrupt recordings that are in progress at the time. I thought that usually happened as a black screen or a copying prohibited message, but I honestly don't remember half the WMC stuff anymore since it rarely comes up.

heath600

Post by heath600 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:07 pm

I have used WMC for years and the first I have heard of this bug ;)

On that note I think you are right. I calculated and by my system up-time and 47 hour mark would have been at Sunday at approximately 9:18 and the feed stopped at 9:23. My wife also confirmed both of her shows in that slot also had the same issue at the same time. Nothing recorded on Tuesday at the 8-9 slot so nothing to check there unfortunately. This would repeat at about every 48 days and that seems possible to when I am seeing the issue.

This might also explain why my WMC extender will randomly lose feed in the night. (My wife leaves it on for extended periods and usually overnight)

On that note is there any way other then rebooting the PC to have it do the handshake? Maybe some handy command line I could put in windows task scheduler. I would much rather script this reset at a time of my choice to prevent this from happening at prime time.

On a side note if you get DRM recording working I have not problems ditching WMC and using HDHomerun DVR :mrgreen:

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:33 pm

Rebooting the HDHomeRun will do it.

Code: Select all

"%programfiles%\silicondust\hdhomerun\hdhomerun_config.exe" deviceid set /sys/restart self