Cheapest option to broadcast live TV outside home

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
techpro2004

Re: Cheapest option to broadcast live TV outside home

Post by techpro2004 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:10 am

I know I am a bit late to the party here but try a layer 2 vpn with the free hdhomerun app. This option requires the most bandwidth but should be 100% free if you use openvpn in tap mode.

Sammy2

Re: Cheapest option to broadcast live TV outside home

Post by Sammy2 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Cayars wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:34 am
I'd highly recommend Emby as well with the Premiere Lifetime membership. Costs a few bucks but it well worth it.
You get "free" guide data that is very good and has full graphic support and rich meta-data. You get access to all clients apps and have a license for 25+ devices (more devices if not using premiere features).

This gives you Live TV, time shifting, DVR, etc It also does SMART tuner sharing. That means if multiple people are watching for example Fox New or your local CBS channel then only one tuner is used for all users. You can record and have multiple users using the same channel with only that one tuner in use. That can really help stretch the use of your tuners in an active household.

With Emby you can use dedicated devices like Android TV, Roku, Apple TV, iOS, Xbox, etc or software based solutions such as web browser, theater or even DLNA apps or devices.

You can use Emby via Ethernet, Wifi or out over the Internet if you set you Emby server up for remote access. You have complete control over what user can record and what users can access Live TV. It's quite powerful.

If you're looking for a simpler solution with more limited clients (donation ware) you should also checkout Next PVR as it's quite good and is dedicated to TV use only unlike Emby which is a complete media portal.

Carlo
What he said.