Cheapest option to broadcast live TV outside home

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
igorjrr

Cheapest option to broadcast live TV outside home

Post by igorjrr » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Hello.

Currently what would be the cheapest option to broadcast live TV from HDHomeRun to the internet?

The plan is just to be able to watch live TV from outside home wifi. HDHomeRun doesn't support it natively, so it requires some media server like Plex or Emby. Plex requires PlexPass (paid) to broadcast live TV and emby apparently does that for free via emby server.

What would be the cheapest recommendations? Maybe there are other media servers, or even ready out-of-the-box media servers that I can use.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

bdbauer

Re: Cheapest option to broadcast live TV outside home

Post by bdbauer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:35 pm

FYI, Emby stopped supporting live TV in their free offering a few months ago. I found an old version and disabled auto-update so I could get live channels should I ever need them (though I virtually never use it).

Unless you have an HDHomeRun Extend, you'll need something powerful enough to transcode the stream to a more reasonable bandwidth. NVidia Shield would be able to run Plex and hardware transcode.

igorjrr

Post by igorjrr » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:07 am

bdbauer wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:35 pm
FYI, Emby stopped supporting live TV in their free offering a few months ago. I found an old version and disabled auto-update so I could get live channels should I ever need them (though I virtually never use it).

Unless you have an HDHomeRun Extend, you'll need something powerful enough to transcode the stream to a more reasonable bandwidth. NVidia Shield would be able to run Plex and hardware transcode.
Thank you, I was trying to find a subscription-free solution.

tmm1

Post by tmm1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:57 am

hotshot2k3

Post by hotshot2k3 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:45 am

bdbauer wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Which version is the last one that works for free?

bdbauer

Post by bdbauer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:28 pm

hotshot2k3 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:45 am
embyserver-win-x64-3.5.3.0 as far as I know. You should be able to find it with an internet search.

wkearney99

Post by wkearney99 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:22 am

bdbauer wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:28 pm
hotshot2k3 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:45 am
embyserver-win-x64-3.5.3.0 as far as I know. You should be able to find it with an internet search.
I think this might be it?
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Re ... ag/3.5.3.0

sspell

Post by sspell » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:33 am

No free ride if you want guide data. Emby is no longer on the approved list for Schedules Direct Plex never was. You would need to use epg123 and a subscription for Schedules Direct to get guide data when Schedules Direct cuts off Emby. Plus you will be stuck with outdated software. Emby now includes a guide subscription with the latest software and a premium account and you can use multiple guide data to cover OTA and Premium TV. Plex only allows 1 guide data unless they recently changed. Best is Emby with a premium account plus you are helping support the software development..

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Jellyfin is fork of the last open version of Emby and is on Schedules Direct's approved list. I've never used it so I don't know if it does everything needed; this is just a suggestion of something that might be worth looking at.

Night61

Post by Night61 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 pm

I'm very late but here is a free broadcast.
Remote desktop. I have a linux server at home that I remote into to do work on the network. Play the show on the computer and remote into it. I use teamviewer. Free. And remote in with my phone. Samsung note 8 and I use the Samsung DeX.

scottd2

Post by scottd2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:45 pm

For what it is worth, my suggestion is Emby. While it does come with a price tag for the Premier Subscription, look closely at the Lifetime, it does come with some very nice features. Most important, at least for me, is the quick response to problems through their forums. On the few occasions I reported problems, they helped within a few hours to get things resolved (your mileage may vary). The software is constantly being updated and enhanced. Next, the Premier provides the apps for your remote viewers (iOs, Android, Roku, etc.) There are no further costs beyond the Premier.

I have had a Premier Lifetime subscription for a few years now and have only been charged the one-time fee.

They recently switched to an integrated guide data provider (no charge). It works quite nicely. You can specify OTA and then your area to get the correct information. It integrates with SD products with just a few clicks. Adds the ability to schedule and record OTA programs to your hard drive.

You can specify how much bandwidth you want for each of the clients. If using your cell phone, you can set the value low so as to not blow through your data in one viewing. Quality still remains very good.

I have used the Android app, Roku app, windows Desktop app with no problems. If the device is not able to play the stream natively, it will “transcode” to a playable format.

Summary – worth the price of admission.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:01 am

I think I've used Bubble upnp in the past

vttom

Post by vttom » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 am

This works great using the Channels DVR (https://getchannels.com/). Requires an $8/mo or $80/yr subscription.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:23 pm

[Removed by moderator - see forum rules]

Cayars

Post by Cayars » Thu May 02, 2019 6:34 am

I'd highly recommend Emby as well with the Premiere Lifetime membership. Costs a few bucks but it well worth it.
You get "free" guide data that is very good and has full graphic support and rich meta-data. You get access to all clients apps and have a license for 25+ devices (more devices if not using premiere features).

This gives you Live TV, time shifting, DVR, etc It also does SMART tuner sharing. That means if multiple people are watching for example Fox New or your local CBS channel then only one tuner is used for all users. You can record and have multiple users using the same channel with only that one tuner in use. That can really help stretch the use of your tuners in an active household.

With Emby you can use dedicated devices like Android TV, Roku, Apple TV, iOS, Xbox, etc or software based solutions such as web browser, theater or even DLNA apps or devices.

You can use Emby via Ethernet, Wifi or out over the Internet if you set you Emby server up for remote access. You have complete control over what user can record and what users can access Live TV. It's quite powerful.

If you're looking for a simpler solution with more limited clients (donation ware) you should also checkout Next PVR as it's quite good and is dedicated to TV use only unlike Emby which is a complete media portal.

Carlo