Replacing WMC

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
hipsterdoofus

Re: Replacing WMC

Post by hipsterdoofus » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:38 pm

So most of what I have on my HTPC now is:
1) Recorded TV
2) All my DVD's ripped
3) backups of pictures / music that are on my desktop (which especially in the case of music is handy so i can play it at the TV too).

Honestly, the worst thing to lose in all of that would be the ripped DVD's - those things took awhile. Other than that, they are just backups of existing files. I'm starting to wonder if I'd either be better off with a nas running the record engine or something to that effect. I'm not really sure I need two devices running.

Karter

Post by Karter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:27 pm

EPG123 is the best option in my opinion.. it is far superior to WMC guide. The learning curve is a bit difficult, but once you understand, it is a breeze to install. They have great support. It is free, other than you have to buy your own subscription to Schedules Direct, but it is inexpensive $30 or $35 a month (or something like that)

I love, love, love it

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:31 am

Karter wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:27 pm
It is free, other than you have to buy your own subscription to Schedules Direct, but it is inexpensive $30 or $35 a month (or something like that)
The Schedules Direct membership is $25 per year.

hipsterdoofus

Post by hipsterdoofus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Karter wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:27 pm
EPG123 is the best option in my opinion.. it is far superior to WMC guide. The learning curve is a bit difficult, but once you understand, it is a breeze to install. They have great support. It is free, other than you have to buy your own subscription to Schedules Direct, but it is inexpensive $30 or $35 a month (or something like that)

I love, love, love it
Yeah you may be right. Seems for now to be the path of least resistance. I'm thinking I should do as was mentioned and buy a copy of Windows 8.1 so that my Windows support doesn't go away.

If I were go go that route - anyone know the cheapest legitimate way to get 8.1? I see a download of it from some place called PC Market online but seems almost too cheap to be legit.

Also, I'm assuming an xbox 360 will connect okay still to a Windows 8.1 machine as an extender?

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:40 pm

I don’t think you can purchase Windows Media Center for Windows 8.1 anymore. It is not included with windows 8.1.

hipsterdoofus

Post by hipsterdoofus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm

markfromBrooklyn wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:40 pm
I don’t think you can purchase Windows Media Center for Windows 8.1 anymore. It is not included with windows 8.1.
Is that right? Well that stinks...grr

techpro2004

Post by techpro2004 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:33 am

Try the wmc for win 10 package on the win 8.1 system. I have read it works on windows server so maybe it will work on win 8.1

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:22 pm

It should work for the most part on windows 8. I have used that installer a few times on both windows 8, and early builds of windows 10. I ended up back at windows 7 every time though because there always seemed to be some issue.

Sorahl

Post by Sorahl » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:30 pm

markfromBrooklyn wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:40 pm
I didn't even think about that. :(

hipsterdoofus

Post by hipsterdoofus » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:04 pm

As much as I like the suggestions, I still don't know if it gets me down the road for a long ways.

I don't know, I suppose I could look at Plex pass again. When I tried it last time it was prior to their gridview update for the DVR so I didn't like it. I really do kind of need a full media manager though, not just a place to store tv recordings.

hotshot2k3

Post by hotshot2k3 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:51 pm

zap2xml + MCImportXMLTV + WMC = Never ending free EPG and encrypted channels

go45cvi

Post by go45cvi » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Has anyone had success with jellyfin? Are there apps for Android tv and roku?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:33 am

go45cvi wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:52 pm
Has anyone had success with jellyfin? Are there apps for Android tv and roku?
Since it's a fork of Emby, I imagine the Emby apps will work. Be warned, their apps are a UX nightmare.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:51 pm

hipsterdoofus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:30 am
Lunar wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 am
hipsterdoofus wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:04 pm
So one thing I've wondered about is just switching to a NAS - I believe some do transcoding. Or I guess there are free ones that I could install on current hardware. I'm just not sure if that is something that would work with the HDHomerun DVR service or not.
Yeah, some NAS devices do support transcoding, but unless you go with Plex or Emby transcoding support isn't really necessary. If you use the HDHomerun DVR service, transcoding isn't supported as the streams coming fromt he DVR are straight MPEG-2. This does limit device compatibility somewhat (No ROKU support for example), but most streaming device support it. There's even an HDHomerun app for the Xbox One. If you decide to go the Kodi addon route, then Kodi will handle decode of the MPEG-2 stream from the DVR locally. One nice thing about the NAS option though is that the HDHomerun DVR application natively supports some NAS devices. Personally I like to run it on a PC, but NAS devices are one of the officially supported methods. That's kinda what I like most about the HDHomerun stuff, it's all about choice and flexibility. SiliconDust seems happy to let us do whatever we want with their stuff, within reason that is.
Oh I agree - I've been an hdhomerun user for years - in fact, that's one of the things I need to do is upgrade my tuners, because they are ancient. The main thing is, I'd like to keep the flexibility having a place to backup my desktop (pictures, videos, music) and I'd also like a place to record tv AND to be able to access the recorded tv from two different rooms. Of course, it would be nice if I could pick up watching something as it is recorded also.

Right now, I have my HTPC running WMC in the living room, and in the bedroom, I have an old xbox 360. We don't watch TONS of recorded tv in the bedroom (mostly netflix, etc, on the roku) but i would like that flexibility.

I'm afraid, even if I paid for a guide service and stayed on WMC, my xbox 360 isn't long for this world and I need to find a different solution for that remote location.
I have several Ceton Echos in working order for sale in the Buy Sell Trade Thread.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:51 pm
hipsterdoofus wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:30 am
Lunar wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:21 am

Yeah, some NAS devices do support transcoding, but unless you go with Plex or Emby transcoding support isn't really necessary. If you use the HDHomerun DVR service, transcoding isn't supported as the streams coming fromt he DVR are straight MPEG-2. This does limit device compatibility somewhat (No ROKU support for example), but most streaming device support it. There's even an HDHomerun app for the Xbox One. If you decide to go the Kodi addon route, then Kodi will handle decode of the MPEG-2 stream from the DVR locally. One nice thing about the NAS option though is that the HDHomerun DVR application natively supports some NAS devices. Personally I like to run it on a PC, but NAS devices are one of the officially supported methods. That's kinda what I like most about the HDHomerun stuff, it's all about choice and flexibility. SiliconDust seems happy to let us do whatever we want with their stuff, within reason that is.
Oh I agree - I've been an hdhomerun user for years - in fact, that's one of the things I need to do is upgrade my tuners, because they are ancient. The main thing is, I'd like to keep the flexibility having a place to backup my desktop (pictures, videos, music) and I'd also like a place to record tv AND to be able to access the recorded tv from two different rooms. Of course, it would be nice if I could pick up watching something as it is recorded also.

Right now, I have my HTPC running WMC in the living room, and in the bedroom, I have an old xbox 360. We don't watch TONS of recorded tv in the bedroom (mostly netflix, etc, on the roku) but i would like that flexibility.

I'm afraid, even if I paid for a guide service and stayed on WMC, my xbox 360 isn't long for this world and I need to find a different solution for that remote location.
I have several Ceton Echos in working order for sale in the Green Button Buy Sell Trade Thread.