EyeTV dead for me

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
saul

Re: EyeTV dead for me

Post by saul » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:43 am
saul wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 pm
Sammy2 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:01 pm
Emby.
Yes, I am now using Emby for recordings and the HDHomerun software for live tv like watching the news.

Emby does seem to be fairly sluggish using the web interface. First the delay while what I assume transcoding is happening/buffering. It then takes a lot of time to do anything like change channels. Bad also for fast-forward and rewind. Then there is the problem of doing too much ff/rw as it locks the video so have to re-queue. Also have the problem that if there is a glitch in the video feed the player may not be able to handle it from that point forward. Have to start up VLC to watch the rest of the video (after finding the file).

It seems that none of these are made for multiple windows - I have a 4 tuner box but can only see one at a time - no picture-in-picture.
These are issues that the developers are keenly aware and are working a solution. I'm not sure how well PlexDVR is handling things right now. I haven't used it in a while. Maybe I'll take a look-see again.
What I stated above reflects what is available today. It doesn't much matter what anyone is working on, what matters is what I can or can't use today. Geniatech is also aware that eyeTV has issues and its developers are working on solutions (at least the TVGuide issue). Silicondust has stated they are working on enhancing their software. They all are saying to hang on and things will get better.

chuckles67

Post by chuckles67 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:08 am

+1 I've been trying to continue using EyeTV but it's getting harder and harder (dropped HDHomeRun support, TV Guide subscription broken, occasional Mac OS panics during recording).

I'm happy to now have a SiliconDust DVR install working and making recordings with its television guide.

I'd like to offer my encouragement to SiliconDust team. I know it's really hard to make great software and great hardware with the realities of resource constraints and business pressures. I certainly appreciate the great things you are doing.

Earl Noe

Post by Earl Noe » Sat May 11, 2019 12:19 am

You can find detailed instructions on automating the daily download of TV schedules in xml format and loading them into EyeTV, which has built in provision for them. The result is very much like the defunct TVGuide. It was been working fine for me and I will probably continue with this system if and whenever EyeTV restores its scheduling scheme.

See the posts here, and handy PDF Guide to setting the system up. There are also threads giving info for using schedulesdirect listings:

https://eyetvforum.com/index.php?/topic ... mment-4496