EyeTV dead for me

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
saul

EyeTV dead for me

Post by saul » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:20 pm

As of 7PM EST there are no listings from TV Guide. Numerous people have opened tickets with Geniatech over the past few days with response of "we're working on it."
Time to move on. I love the HDHomeRun for OTA that is accessible from numerous devices so will stick with their hardware but will be trying other software that supports Mac OS.

jwarthman

Re: EyeTV dead for me

Post by jwarthman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:40 pm

+1 EyeTV is dead for me.

I'm one who submitted a ticket to geniatech. They basically said they are working on it, but given the lentgh of time this has dragged on, and lack of feedback, I'm skeptical. Lots more info here:

https://eyetvforum.com/index.php?/topic ... updating/&

I'd love to hear others' experiences with high quality replacements for EyeTV on macOS.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:08 pm

We fully support Mac with the HDHomeRun DVR and the HDHomeRun app for Mac.

The HDHomeRun DVR guide is $35/year.

Nick

name99

Post by name99 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:22 am

nickk wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:08 pm
We fully support Mac with the HDHomeRun DVR and the HDHomeRun app for Mac.

The HDHomeRun DVR guide is $35/year.

Nick
The problem is, Nick, and I say this as someone who loves your hardware, that your SW is garbage. Or to put it more kindly, your software solves a very different problem from the problem EyeTV solves.

HDHomeRun SW appears to be a solution for people whose PRIMARY task is wanting to watch LiveTV, with all that entails. The display is all about live TV, the channel overview is lots of pictures. NOTHING about it suggests the sort of useful automatic functionality *I* care about.

EyeTV is (was...) all about RECORDING. The grid is text-based -- more info density. There's lots of automation (smart guides and suchlike). EyeTV makes it very easy to set up your device so that all your favorites just record automatically day after day and you have an (again easy to browse) perpetual pool of content available. There is no hunting through a sea of images, there's no constant manual recording.

More generally your web pages do nothing to impress me that you care about user efficiency.
Do your support a remote control in any form? Not that I can see.
Do you support ANY sort of text-based control of what I see when I try to program a DVR? Basically (you're) as far as can tell, optimized for "search" (I know what I want) or channel-flipping, but are essentially useless for "what's NEW in prime-time --- and I only care about primetime because anything new that's good appears there"?

Instead you talk about a ton of ways in which you are a slightly better version of the crap that is a TV-mindset DVR. I don't WANT a TV-mindset DRV, I want a COMPUTER-mindset DVR...

And it doesn't help that you appear to offer no way to TRY the DVR service without paying the annual fee. All I can do is look at the live experience (which seems a million miles from what I want) and conclude that the DVR services is probably absolutely AWFUL, useless for my needs...

(Not to be mean here, as I say. But maybe reading and thinking about this, you can grow your product. Selling to people who are mostly happy with a cable-type DVR experience is unlikely to result in much growth --- people like that can already get a low-effort cable-TV DVR experience from their cable company! If they want more in various ways, their natural choice is something like a Roku or an Apple TV.
Your natural customer is the computer-first person, the text-first person... )

TonVH

Post by TonVH » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:42 am

I fully agree with @name99.

Wat we need is a smart recording system and not one for live viewing. So either something like EyeTV (great product, lousy developer) or TVHeadend.

Only presently available product that does that is TV-Mosaic. Very good developer, quick replies but the product is (compared to the other 2) limited and looks outdated.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 am

TonVH wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:42 am

Wat we need is a smart recording system and not one for live viewing. So either something like EyeTV (great product, lousy developer) or TVHeadend.

Only presently available product that does that is TV-Mosaic. Very good developer, quick replies but the product is (compared to the other 2) limited and looks outdated.
Have you looked at Channels DVR ?

TonVH

Post by TonVH » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:52 am

Yes and I liked the looks of it. But I want to run the program on a Mac not on aTV or IOS.

Also Channels is extremely expensive.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:57 am

NYPlayer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 am
TonVH wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:42 am

Have you looked at Channels DVR ?
I did - it solved every HDHR UI issue immediately.
8 bucks a month, but does what I need - and that's worth it to me.
(unfortunately/fortunately I still have that 'year' of HDHR-DVR, but maybe my $35 bucks will help pay for that guy that's going to fix HDHR's UI Problem and in that case... go with God (with my money) and peace be with you)
TonVH wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:52 am
Yes and I liked the looks of it. But I want to run the program on a Mac not on aTV or IOS.
whoopsie,but wait...:

https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/

Code: Select all

Channels DVR Server can be installed on macOS Yosemite (10.10) or newer.
Also Channels is extremely expensive.
Apparently, you get what you pay for...

;)

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Post by NYPlayer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Channels DVR also gives you remote access to all your recordings without additional software like Plex or Emby…. also will transcode recordings on the fly to be viewed remotely.

TonVH

Post by TonVH » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:10 pm

Value of a product and pricing are unrelated. I have paid 3 times for EyeTV (v1, v2, v3) with no problem. But each month/year end up to a too big amount. See also prices of comparable products, like

Channels DVR: 80 each year (never ending, also no demo version)
EyeTV: 75 each version
TV-Mosaic: 25 each version
TVHeadend: free (and superior, minus is that it has a long learning curve).

Recordings of all mentioned products can be viewed directly on any device. Live viewing idem.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:21 pm

TonVH wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:10 pm
Channels DVR: 80 each year (never ending, also no demo version)
The first month is free - if that 'Demo' period didn't work out - cancel.

Of course, there's always the *possibility that HDHR will completely change course in a magnum overhaul of everything they hold dear.
(*slight, but possible. See: 'Not any time soon' in English Literature)...

saul

Post by saul » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:13 am

The problem with these discussions of a replacement to EyeTV is that people have different needs and EyeTV met most of them. A live TV watching, channel surfing, streaming, scheduling, archiving, mobile, performance, picture quality, ease of use, and stuff that's not even on my radar but is needed for others. So when one person says they found a solution it probably doesn't work for the next as one of the key pieces is missing for them.

I'm seeing this as I try out different programs and every one has their supporters because it works for them even as it doesn't do what I want. An example here: HDHomeRun is great on a Mac for just turning on to quickly watch a single channel but on the other end the developers are adamant that it doesn't needs a guide.

Wikipedia has a feature matrix but it is not up to date or complete enough to make a decision. Maybe we start a new list?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... s#Features

Most of the programs are media servers/players first so TV tuner support got shoehorned in. Some more elegantly than others.

TonVH

Post by TonVH » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:14 am

In my opinion (no strings attached) is TV-Mosaic the product that best covers all function of EyeTV.

Both have Live TV, DVR, extensive scheduling and more.

EyeTV greatest limitation is that it staring v7520 no longer supports HDHomerun and only their own devices, TVMosaic does support HDHR and a limited number of USB devices.
EyeTV had virtually no support (just like Elgato did not have) and TV-Mosaic had good and fast support.
Questionable is whether there will be an EyeTV in 64-bit version, TV-Mosaic is 64-bit.
EyeTV is quite expensive € 75,=, TV-Mosaic is € 25,= and has rebates on major updates.
EyeTV only rund on Mav, TV-Mosaic runs on a wide variety of platforms.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm

I'd very much like to discuss the differences between the HDHomeRun app and EyeTV with any EyeTV users in a less formal setting, like on the phone or via live chat with the goal of seeing where the HDHomeRun app could better fit your needs. If any EyeTV users are interested in chatting, feel free to send me a DM. Or if you can't, say so here, and I'll message you.

PVR4Me

Post by PVR4Me » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:47 am

I used to use EyeTV long ago. A lot of EyeTV users tend to keep a TV window open on the desktop while they are working on other things. They may not even mention that to you, Nate, as they assume that's how everyone wants to use a DVR. (Not me.)

Craig