HDHR works better in the HDHomeRun viewer than MythTV

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
donb21

HDHR works better in the HDHomeRun viewer than MythTV

Postby donb21 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:07 am

I have a roof mounted antenna and my house is within 3-5 miles of all the local channels. Signal strengths are very good. Shows are always
pixelated in MythTV, some worse than others, but it happens on pretty much every show. When I tried using the HDHomeRun viewer, everything looks perfect. Is the HDHomeRun viewer doing something to mitigate pixelation? Or, is it receiving the packet stream differently than MythTv does?

Don

goofnroxx

Re: HDHR works better in the HDHomeRun viewer than MythTV

Postby goofnroxx » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:40 am

What kind of system is driving the Myth backend? I used to see this if my backend got overwhelmed and would drop packets before writing to disk. Even if you are watching live TV in Myth, the stream does go to disk first.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:53 am

Most myth installs use rtp/udp rather than the more modern http (assuming a modern tuner rather than legacy). So it is possible there is an issue with the network that benefits by using http streaming.

However I do agree that it could be other hardware issues on the myth box. (several years ago my main htpc (using wmc not myth) was going through 3-5 drives a year causing issues until I moved its live tv buffer to another drive then the failure rate went down to 1 every 2 years)

You may wish to describe equipment and network.

donb21

Postby donb21 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:43 pm

The MythTv box is a stock combined frontend/backend, see details below. The HD HomeRun-Connect box and MythTv box both have cat5 wired connections to the same D-Link gigabit switch. The Ethernet cables and D-Link switch are several years old, so I was considering changing them.

Pixelation is not cyclic at all, seems pretty random, but some days seem better than others. It usually lasts for a second or two, then fixes itself. Almost as if the next group of pictures fixes it (unless the next group is also goofed up).

Dropped packets and UDP would explain it, but this system is fairly reasonable; if it's dropping packets, I would think lots of people would be having similar problems. If it's a UDP issue, different hardware may solve it if I find a bad cable, or switch port, or something. Anything else I should look for?

Don

CPU = AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor
Memory = 8 gig
Boot drive = 120 gig SSD
Storage drives = 6 T-Bytes

MythTv version = 16.04 (fixes/0.28 (v1.28-2-g15cf421)
Video hardware = GK208 [GeForce GT 730]
Video driver = Nvidia Version: 390.87
Video playback setting = All default, except Playback profile is VDPAU High Quality
HDHomeRun model = HDHR4-2US
HDHomeRun firmware version = 20180817
Broadcast format = ATSC

Playback file media information from VLC:
Stream 0
Original ID:81
Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)
Type: Video
Video resolution: 1920x1080
Buffer dimensions: 1920x1080
Frame rate: 29.970029
Orientation: Top left
Chroma location: Left

Stream 1
Original ID: 84
Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)
Language: English
Type: Audio
Channels 3F2M/LFE
Sample rate: 48000 Hz
Bits per sample: 32

airdrummer

Postby airdrummer » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:33 am

Shows are always pixelated in MythTV,
HDHomeRun viewer, everything looks perfect
Playback file media information from VLC:
do u mean live tv? what hdhr viewer do u mean? afaik there is no linux viewer, only the libhdhomerun & the record engine.
what playback file? so u record a program & view it w/vlc on linux?

i dropped mythtv some time ago as playback was problematic, & hdhr_record/vlc works well...

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:36 pm

You may want to run a network packet loss test and see how it looks. The Windows instructions at viewtopic.php?p=62283#p62283 will work for Linux if you replace the whole path to the exe with just hdhomerun_config (you may need to "sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-config" if you haven't already). Normally on a Linux PC on a wired network you should not see any packet loss at all because the stock configuration is a lot saner than what Windows has.

Return to “Third Party Software”