Network Stream in Digital Signage

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
danyaeger

Network Stream in Digital Signage

Postby danyaeger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:42 pm

I am looking to incorporate a network stream of the weather channel or news channel for the lobby TV at my business. Has anyone worked with a Digital Signage company/software that would take a network stream (http://<internal IP>:5004/auto/v754?transcode=native) and display the channel in a window while having a news feed around it, also looking at putting a directory in a portion of the screen too? I started looking at Digital Signage, Mango Signs and ViewNeo as well as some others but I am not finding a good solution that will work with the internal network stream from a HD HomeRun Prime and display it on an AndroidTV.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

gtb
Expert

Re: Network Stream in Digital Signage

Postby gtb » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:31 pm

I am looking to incorporate a network stream of the weather channel or news channel for the lobby TV at my business.
I *suspect* the premium service is limited to residential/individual services. A business would likely need a commercial use license, and you should contact SD directly (I would open a ticket) regarding the requirements for commercial use (just like a bar cannot use residential services for their sports).

danyaeger

Postby danyaeger » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:19 pm

We have business cable through our cable provider. I don't think I have any licensing issues. This wouldn't be any different than me putting a TV with cable direct connected to it. I may just run VLC in windowed mode and have auto-refreshing web pages setup around it to get dynamic content. Just hoping someone out here would have experience getting the http stream to work with a digital sign before I go with a less desirable solution.

wellthatsnotgood

Postby wellthatsnotgood » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:10 pm

You mentioned Android TV, not sure if your signage runs that, but if you have Live Channels, the HDHomeRun app, or VLC (if the channel is copy-freely) installed, you can play back a channel and then put it in PIP mode, and then load whatever app you want in the background (as long as it doesn't play video). So for example, you could load a web browser in the background.

danyaeger

Postby danyaeger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:21 pm

I took a look at Live Channels (The TV is running AndroidTV natively) but couldn't seem to get it to work exactly the way I wanted. Thank you for your reply and giving me something new to try out.
It looks like a Raspberry Pi or other micro computer running Linux will be my best friend in this situation.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:36 pm

This may not be what you are looking to do, but this is how I set up a few TV's in the lobby of the office building where I work, We have direct TV and broadcast only 2 channels building wide using rf modulars as well as a company channel through Coax to all the manger's offices and conference rooms. I set up 2 displays in the lobby to the same coaxial network but added an HDMI to Coax device hooked up to desktop computer (in our computer room) playing a powerpoint presentation of events and news and display names welcoming any executives to our building from HQ etc. The Modulators use channel 6 for company TV, 7 for CNN, 9 for weather channel, and 10.1 for the powerpoint presentation playing 24/7.

Maybe you can use a variation of this to get your digital signage with a desktop running a powerpoint with a video embedded of a live stream using VLC from the HDHomerun. you would use coax in place of ethernet to transport the stream.

here is the device I ordered that works well:
https://www.amazon.com/MINIMOD-2-MODULA ... WH7ON8ZFO4

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:55 pm

I also missed the point of also having a directory. In addition to the 2 wall mounted monitors playing powerpoint through the coax, I also setup a directory in the lobby separate from the wall mounted monitors. I used a regular 55 inch TV mounted on a angled stand and used a touch overlay on top of it recognized as a mouse and used a desktop as well running a powerpoint that scrolled through a few screens (to prevent screen burn in) but when you touch the screen goes to a telephone directory. There is a word document with the telephone listings for the office that I linked to power point slides with a macro activated by a hidden button on screen to update the link anytime someone edits the word document on the network drive. The computer is on the other side of the wall in a secure place connected to a computer monitor to make rebooting the computer easier when updates roll out. This is separate from the above post of the digital signage, but both these projects really updated our lobby in our office. You may be able to incorporate both of these ideas into your project.

Return to “Third Party Software”